• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Jesus christ this thread lol, people acting like this is abusive and damaging for the child. That people shouldn't be parents if they so much as dare to tease or toy with their kid a bit, which will almost certainly be returned in kind by the kid at some point a day later.

ekurisona

Jan 10, 2018
kimmel-comments.png

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jesus christ this thread lol, people acting like this is abusive and damaging for the child. That people shouldn't be parents if they so much as dare to tease or toy with their kid a bit, which will almost certainly be returned in kind by the kid at some point a day later.
Isn't this about filming your kids and those clips being shown on TV and YouTube?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Isn't this about filming your kids and those clips being shown on TV and YouTube?

I think there's a double-edged problem here. Firstly there's the underlying atmosphere of casual cruelty that makes this behaviour seem acceptable to certain parents. Then there's the notion that it's okay to deliberately have your child's humiliation broadcast for the entertainment of others. These are both deeply concerning, but distinctly awful in their own ways.

Parenting 101: your children are not yet fully formed. While their brains are still developing to the simply massive, einsteinian heights you have achieved, please refrain from poking them with sticks for your entertainment.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just for anyone coming to this thread late, here's a list of all the comparisons made in this thread. Turning off the TV while your child is playing the game is apparently comparable to:

• Kicking a child in the groin
  • Removing the engine from someones car
  • Taking the keys out of the ignition while someone else is driving
  • Burning your child's favourite book
  • Turning off the computer on someone who is working on a thesis that they haven't saved but have almost completed
  • Spiking your child's drink with alcohol
  • Exposing your child to sexual exploitation
  • Ripping up your kids homework
  • Turning off someones oxygen machine
Not to mention, if you have ever pulled a prank on your kid, not matter how innocent or how much it made them laugh, not even taking videoing it into account:
  • You're subjecting them to emotional abuse
  • You are bullying them
  • You are disturbing
  • You are a dickhead and have no self-discipline
  • You're in arguably a shitty parent, even if you've only pranked them once
  • It's 'guaranteed' that you are causing problems for them later in life
  • You are using your superior power over them in an arbitrary way
  • You are no better than Daddy Of Five
  • You have no respect for your child

People need to seriously chill out and stop making out that everything that happens is the worst thing ever.
Glad to see a post with a healthy amount of perspective. Any time a topic comes up that involves kids, I get the impression that a large number of these ridiculous comments come from people who don't have any of their own or are still children themselves.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Who would have thought that parents willing to film purposeful humiliation of their kids to put on TV would also have shitty kids who freak out at them?

There should have been more reactions similar to the "Shouldn't you be cooking?" kid - funny but understandable response to a ridiculous scenario. The swearing/punching/screaming is concerning, but then again so is the filming to begin with.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean. This isn't scary, this is parents being annoying to their kids because they think they'll get a few minutes of fame, just like every other time Kimmel puts out a challenge for parents to annoy their kids.

That being said, if Kimmel did the opposite and told kids to prank their parents in a way that actually caused them temporary mental instability, the nation would be in an uproar and he'd be issuing apologies.

TL:DR don't watch Kimmel.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
As a dad I found those reactions hilarious and this is something I'll likely do to my kids for the hell of it. Nothing scary about it, stop taking it so seriously. The kids that react with violence, well... they follow what they've been modeled so.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Pull the plug and also delete the game. Turning off the TV is way too lenient.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Is that seriously your take on what I wrote?

It's to show that me and my daughter joke around with each other and make light of it.

So relax buddy. Me and my daughter have a fantastic relationship.

I can tell lol. I was just poking fun at some of the reactions to the video in this thread. Imo, many are overreacting to a mostly harmless prank.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I can tell lol. I was just poking fun at some of the reactions to the video in this thread. Imo, many are overreacting to a mostly harmless prank.

So hard to tell on ERA these days, sorry.

Having a relationship with my kid where we can joke around with each other is so awesome. She's like a smaller version of myself.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
So hard to tell on ERA these days, sorry.

Having a relationship with my kid where we can joke around with each other is so awesome. She's like a smaller version of myself.
Agreed. And I know for a fact my dad trolled the hell out of me too when I was a kid and got obsessive with gaming. It's just what we do in my family.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. I dislike parents doing this for youtube purposes. If you are going to do it, do it because you want to or because your child has a gaming problem.

2. Kids in no way shape or form should act like this because something was turned off. If this wasnt filmed and this is STILL the reaction the child displays, then there are other things at work here and the parents need to simply PARENT their child. No way should a child get up and smack their parent because of something so minimal as turning off a game.

Check yo selves.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have no issues with turning off the TV as long as it was determined beforehand that there was a time limit and your child is incapable of ending their play session on their own.

But just turning off the TV mid-game to mess with your child is a dick move.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Kids melting down when you turn off their competitive game? Who would have thought it would elicit "shocking" reactions?

People keep throwing out turning off the parents TV during a show, but that's not a good analogy. A good analogy would be flipping a game board like Monopoly or chess mid game. Taking a basket ball or football away during a tight game.

Some of the reactions are way over board, but it's not like these kids are playing Minecraft. They are in an amped up state playing a competative game. So of course you will get some explosive reactions.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Does something mean-spirited, rude and disrespectful and films it to shame you on national television on some dumb oaf's late night show*

Damn how come my kid got mad!? I blame those video games and rap music.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
lol at people acting like a parent turning off a tv they bought with their own money, while a kid playing a system their parents bought, in a house which their parents pay for, using electricity their parents pay monthly is disrespectful or rude or whatever.

no wonder kids are so fucking entitled little shits these days who think they can't be touched and they're owed by the world and act however they want and be as disrespectful as they want.

a parent turning their own tv off on you is disrespectful? rofl.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I tried this on my daughter a couple times when she was playing Minecraft online with friends or cousins.

A week or so later I came home excited to watch the latest episode of a TV show and she walked over nonchalantly, grabbed the remote and turned off the TV and ran, lol.

bruh you're mean and just rude and just an overall abusive asshole of a parent.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
lol at people acting like a parent turning off a tv they bought with their own money, while a kid playing a system their parents bought, in a house which their parents pay for, using electricity their parents pay monthly is disrespectful or rude or whatever.

Oh great, it's been several pages since somebody defended the right of parents to be wantonly nasty to their own children because they own the place.

Seriously friend, listen to yourself. Parenting is not a hobby. It comes with responsibilities, chief among which are things like giving your child a secure environment in which they're not worried about whatever nonsense their unpredictable parents will come up with next.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Oh great, it's been several pages since somebody defended the right of parents to be wantonly nasty to their own children because they own the place.

Seriously friend, listen to yourself. Parenting is not a hobby. It comes with responsibilities, chief among which are things like giving your child a secure environment in which they're not worried about whatever nonsense their unpredictable parents will come up with next.

the right to be wantonly nasty..

lol. it's turning off a tv while playing a damn video game. do you even know what truly nasty parents do to kids..

"secure environment" how is turning off a tv while playing a game makes the environment unsecured?
"they're not worried" what makes a parent turning a tv off for a one-off joke/prank randomly a cause of worry for a kid?
"whatever nonsense their unpredictable parents" how does turning off the tv make you speak like the parents are some deranged, mentally-ill people that have ill intentions or put the kids in harm's way?

..maybe you're the one who should listen to yourself.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
the right to be wantonly nasty..

lol. it's turning off a tv while playing a damn video game. do you even know what truly nasty parents do to kids..

"secure environment" how is turning off a tv while playing a game makes the environment unsecured?
"they're not worried" what makes a parent turning a tv off for a one-off joke/prank randomly a cause of worry for a kid?
"whatever nonsense their unpredictable parents" how does turning off the tv make you speak like the parents are some deranged, mentally-ill people that have ill intentions or put the kids in harm's way?

..maybe you're the one who should listen to yourself.

I've been a parent, and for one of my own adult children who is autistic I still serve a very important parental role. No, it's never right to make your child the butt of a joke. Owning the furniture, paying the bills, donating equipment, feeding your child, none of that gives you carte blanche to act like an immature, childish bully.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I've been a parent, and for one of my own adult children who is autistic I still serve a very important parental role. No, it's never right to make your child the butt of a joke. Owning the furniture, paying the bills, donating equipment, feeding your child, none of that gives you carte blanche to act like an immature, childish bully.

I guess kids pranking their parents for fun are immature, childish bullies too. /s

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I guess kids pranking their parents for fun are immature, childish bullies too. /s

They're certainly immature and childish, because they're kids. Bullying would require a condition that doesn't pertain: the child is always dependent on the parent, never vice versa.

To put it bluntly: the kids have an excuse for immature behaviour, but the parents don't.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I can only imagine being at a little league baseball game, seeing a parent go up to their kid at bat and taking the bat and walking off. There'd be a lot of people wondering what was wrong with the parent. It would be even worse if someone was behind the plate with their phone recording the whole thing and then sent it to a late night talk show because they thought the kid's reaction was funny.

Kimmel should stick with pranks that aren't parents making an ass out of themselves.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean like You've Been Framed and the like?
I'm not sure what point you're making one as you didn't seem to reply to anything in my post?
Hummiliating your kids on national stage because a TV host told you so and you want to appear on TV is pretty messed up, yeah. Though it's the kind of shit i expect from America these days. Thankfully shit like this isn't ok where I live.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
I can only imagine being at a little league baseball game, seeing a parent go up to their kid at bat and taking the bat and walking off. There'd be a lot of people wondering what was wrong with the parent. It would be even worse if someone was behind the plate with their phone recording the whole thing and then sent it to a late night talk show because they thought the kid's reaction was funny.

Kimmel should stick with pranks that aren't parents making an ass out of themselves.
That holds up the whole game, though. This just makes someone lose a game and no one else playing would notice, unless it was just to note how easy it was to kill that person. Either way, it's all a game and, while the kids' reactions are totally legitimate, it's all a game and no one should get too worked up about it.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Let's have someone turn off the TV when the parents are watching something they're engrossed in, or doing something on their computer/phones they are invested in but is ultimately a hobby. Let's see how nicely they take it.
As a parent with a lot of kids, literally every day, lol.

Apple_Prince

Nov 6, 2017
its more disturbing that these parents are so desperate to be on tv that they are bugging their kids this way. It's one thing to turn it off because they are being dicks or didnt finish their chores it's another to do it just for the lulz

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is like if your kid's playing a board game with other kids and you just walk up and flip the board over because "Jimmy Kimmel told you to".

I get if parents have to turn off the TV or something because the kid won't stop when they're told to, but here they're doing it for no reason other than their own amusement and to be on Jimmy Kimmel. It's not even about limiting the kid's game time or something. Yes, some of the reactions of these kids are extreme, but some of them see the kid upset the parent just ruined the game for no real reason. I honestly can't blame the kids with the more mild reactions. I don't know how you expect a kid to react if you just ruin what they're doing with no real purpose behind it.

It makes it even worse that this is to be on national television.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Although the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child has understandably little to say specifically about the right of a child to freedom from arbitrary parental cruelty, I wonder whether it's significant that this is a majority United States forum and the US is the only state of the United Nations that has not ratified that convention.

Some of the excuses for the behaviour of parents depicted here are quite disturbing.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Although the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child has understandably little to say specifically about the right of a child to freedom from arbitrary parental cruelty, I wonder whether it's significant that this is a majority United States forum and the US is the only state of the United Nations that has not ratified that convention.

Some of the excuses for the behaviour of parents depicted here are quite disturbing.

lol have you been to Asia, or anywhere outside the states? turning off the tv as a prank = parental cruelty. rofl, please. you seriously think this prank and the comments are insensitive and this is a "US issue" because US did not sign some UN papers?

idk if you're really that naive or you're too sheltered or you're just ignorant of what's out there. disturbing? jesus christ.

i can't believe I read what I read. This is some parental cruelty issue that's apparently isolated to the US because the US did not sign some papers from the UN.

jesus. your myopia is literally undermining what parental cruelty means and what those actual kids who are actually abused actually suffer from.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017

Jesus fucking christ, I love this thread.

Kimmel is now officially a war criminal that should be prosecuted by the ICC or have a special international tribunal set up just for him. And then hung like Saddam, I guess.

Jan 9, 2018

The idea is that parents will turn the tv off when their kids are playing fortnite, because Kimmel told them to.

The reactions from some of these kids is really bad, and probably more common than not. The blame probably lies with the parents though, and how they allow this behavior to develop. I don't have children, but my parents demanded much more respect from me than what is shown here.

I mean, if my parents did something so stupid like this showing they don't have any respect for me I would not show them any respect neither... luckily that's not the case.

but what kind of people would switch off the tv while you are using just to make a joke some tv guy told them to do?