selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I like the part during the opening sequence where Danny tells Derek "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." He really took it to heart.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally speaking as someone who was kind of extremist at a young age, the following is the one that spoke to me the most:

"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it".

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
White people always imagine that if they lose their power and privilege, POC will treat them as bad as they are treated now.
American movies love to play with that shit, and I think this is another expression of it.

I don't agree with that notion and I think it's really bad to hat some white people believe that.

So no, I don't like that line and I don't like this way of thinking.
That's not the point of the line at all, it's an indictment of the environment in the US prison system. Norton isn't fucked because he's white and black people will just kill him in prison for no reason, he's fucked because he turned his back on the white supremacists and that was his only support/protection in prison.

Lamont is telling him that now he is going to know what it feels like to have the world (at least the world inside the prison) against you, like black people experience every day in a white supremacist nation like the US.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I never understood what they meant when they say 'this actor really chewed the scenery' until I saw this film.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
That's not the point of the line at all, it's an indictment of the environment in the US prison system. Norton isn't fucked because he's white and black people will just kill him in prison for no reason, he's fucked because he turned his back on the white supremacists and that was his only support/protection in prison.

Lamont is telling him that now he is going to know what it feels like to have the world (at least the world inside the prison) against you, like black people experience every day in a white supremacist nation like the US.

See. This guy gets it.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess he refers to the something along "In here, you are the n***"r" line.

That being said, there is another, really powerful line in that movie, when Sweeney makes Derek question his nazi ways: "Has anything you've done made your life better?"
The one you mentioned is much better, especially since it's delivered by the amazing Captain Sisko.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

This is really good.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the one where that old lady, a holocaust survivor, tells a neo-nazi who was going on about how if he was a Jewish guy during the holocaust he would have fought back that "Its easy to imagine yourself a hero if you've never been tested."?

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I like the part where he dunks in that pickup game and the NBA Jam announcer yells "SLAMMALAMMADINGDONG!"

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is not how I read that line, he said "not me", I think it is about the fact that white people will be in the minority threre.
That scenes in the prison also played into that.

Also, if that was indeed intended to say that life for a white person in jail is a good approximation to what life is to a black person in the US in general than I think it's a message I agree with even less, but not sure that how I read it.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
"I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with american historyyyyyyy!"

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not how I read that line, he said "not me", I think it is about the fact that white people will be in the minority threre.

Also, if that was indeed intended to say that life for a white person in jail is a good approximation to what life is to a black person in the US in general than I think it's a message I agree with even less, but not sure that how I read it.
Having seen the movie dozens of times, this is correct.

That scene with the black inmate is one of, if not the very first conversation they have. Before they became friends and Derek started acting out on his Aryan buddies.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's not what I said at all though

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's not what I said at all though
I am telling you how I read the line, of course it's not what you said, I think it's pretty clear we're reading that scene differently, and that's fine.

I'm not a huge fan of the film in general, so it's very much likely we're coming to that line with a very different perspective.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
CfAyh87UkAAuSi1.jpg

"so who quips first?"

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
White people always imagine that if they lose their power and privilege, POC will treat them as bad as they are treated now.
American movies love to play with that shit, and I think this is another expression of it.

I don't agree with that notion and I think it's really bad to hat some white people believe that.

So no, I don't like that line and I don't like this way of thinking.

Evil and oppression is not a trait inherent to white people.

Power and privilege bring out the worst in everyone.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
That is your pick for most powerful line?
Isn't even the most powerful line in the movie

Yikes!!

In that particular movie I believe the line you're looking for was the one that went something like ...."Hate is baggage. Life is too short to be angry."

Or

when the cop asks Derek if anything he has done has made his life better in any way and if any of his time spent as a nazi had value....and he cried and said no.

Last edited: