Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm currently looking at picking up a PS2 Slim, which means lots of images of dirty, crusty, scratched consoles and cables on ebay and wotnot, and it made me want to check out some refurb/restoration videos on YouTube.

Came across this one for a white Slim and holy shit is this thing satisfying!

It's had 18 million views so I imagine lots of have seen it already, but in the event that (like me) you haven't, enjoy this badboy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGGVW_mGEI&ab_channel=OddTinkering

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too cynical to think this guy dirties some of these consoles up a bit himself before filming? spose it doesn't really matter

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Is it too cynical to think this guy dirties some of these consoles up a bit himself before filming? spose it doesn't really matter
I've scoured thousands of used console pictures on various auction sites over the years and I have never come across the level of dirty/filth this channel demonstrates. It's great entertainment though

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Unless you have a 5 year old using it I genuinely don't understand how consoles can get fucked over that badly.

lairo

May 28, 2020
If you can't imagine this level of grime on a console, you're likely too first-world. I've seen much worse still in use in this decade in some not too rural places in Latin America.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I've scoured thousands of used console pictures on various auction sites over the years and I have never come across the level of dirty/filth this channel demonstrates. It's great entertainment though
Even after knowing people that worked at gamestop and local game stores, they would have stories of nasty consoles but never anything that looked like the owner lived in a coal mine or a sewage plant like all the restoration videos you see.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that some aspects are faked, but I'm not so sure about Odd Tinkering faking all of it. The GameCube I linked above seems realistically damaged, and most of the repairs beyond the outside and laser are just basic tech maintenance.

View: https://youtu.be/EsymfJJ3Igc

The mythical Xbox found in a backyard, pieces near each other. Nature nearly claimed this once powerful beast

This, on the other hand, is quite obviously faked, yeah. That was obviously submerged in something extensively before showing it off.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Also if you want similar content that is less well *dramatic* try TronicsFix they routinely scour eBay and other places for broken consoles and restore them to working order. And also unlike the example in the OP they commentate the entire process.

View: https://youtu.be/qAI_68uekrA

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, you sweet summer child. I've bought a restored a bunch tons of electronics over the years (mostly because I can't afford or find good examples, thanks collectors) and some of the horrors I've had to deal with would make you physically sick, that PS2 is nothing. People do NOT treat their stuff with care, yet they still think they "know what they've got". Yahoo Auctions is a great place to scour for some really scummy consoles for next to nothing and restore them, the margins aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be but it's still an enjoyable hobby.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, you sweet summer child. I've bought a restored a bunch tons of electronics over the years (mostly because I can't afford or find good examples, thanks collectors) and some of the horrors I've had to deal with would make you physically sick, that PS2 is nothing. People do NOT treat their stuff with care, yet they still think they "know what they've got". Yahoo Auctions is a great place to scour for some really scummy consoles for next to nothing and restore them, the margins aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be but it's still an enjoyable hobby.

Amazing you have the stomach for it as I'm very much a germaphobe who'll be rocking a full Hurt Locker outfit when my PS2 Slim turns up and needs a bit of a clean.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Restoration videos are like Cypher eating the steak in The Matrix. I know they're fake, but it's easy to just not care and still enjoy them anyway.