• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018

When I first saw it, I quite liked it.
But the more I think about it, it makes little sense.
I get that Walt is really unhappy he just found out he has cancer and may leave his family in debt,
But to blow up someone's car just because he's an entitled douche bag seems psychotic, not to mention that its next to gas station which could of blown up and injured or killed many innocent people and caused $1000s in damage.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uh the whole point was to show walt is psychotic. The whole show is essentially leading up to him going full ass hole.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It's absolutely in line with Walt's character. What I find hard to believe, though, is that no one saw this happening and that there were no cameras in the vicinity. Seems like a weird break with reality to engage with a rather stereotypical framing of the (anti) hero, very much unlike Breaking Bad in its later seasons.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
People defending Walt were wrong and kinda dumb from the first episode. Yes, he was a fucking psychotic.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I uh....

I don't think you really understand Walter White's character very well.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I still like that scene, if it makes sense or not for him to do this, who can say? I can see it happening in a situation like this. It becomes quite clear in the beginning that everything Walter does is for himself and not for his family and the dude got on his nerve with his terrible behaviour.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Scenes like that is why Season 1 is my favorite season of the series.

It's simply a character study about Walt's descend into villainy. In season 1, the blurred line comes front and center. He is doing a bad thing but with a hint of a moral justification, which basically embodies his journey (his deluded sense that he did all what he died for his family, which comes full circle in the last episode when he acknowledges he did it because he enjoyed it).

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The genius of the scene to me is it's the kind of thing people want to see in their fantasies but under no normal circumstances would they ACTUALLY DO because yes, all of those reasons you list.

The show is called BREAKING BAD. The whole premise is a story about a character who goes down a bad road. He's not a good guy so trying to dissect a scene around him doing something demonstrably bad doesn't make a lot of sense.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, you know that scene in Game of Thrones where Ramsay tortures Theon?

I thought it was a cool twist at first, really unexpected and subverted my expectations, but it makes Ramsay seem a little sadistic when he was so nice to Theon earlier and helped him escape and stuff, kinda wierd don't you think

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's another example of Walt doing antihero morally repugnant things that should* make most people detest him but ends up making 99% of viewers say "oh man, that's soooo badass".

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I think you missed the point of the show if you missed the "part" where Walter White was never a good person.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Never underestimate what a man who thinks he has nothing to lose can do.

Also, like others said, that's who he IS, but at that point we haven't realized it yet.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It shows how reckless he is and how he is going to turn.

You at first think "fuck yea get that asshole" when he does it, but yea it's him going down a dark path

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm watching Mad Men, and I don't understand, Don seems to love his wife, but he keeps sleeping with other woman. This seems pretty inconsistent with his character since he is clearly a family man, but this will destroy his family if he keeps doing it, it makes no sense.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
It's absolutely in line with Walt's character. What I find hard to believe, though, is that no one saw this happening and that there were no cameras in the vicinity. Seems like a weird break with reality to engage with a rather stereotypical framing of the (anti) hero, very much unlike Breaking Bad in its later seasons.

What?

Committing serious arson, with high chance of harm to people is consistent with Sensible, introvert, boring chemistry teacher.
It's not the same as meth cooking and killing crazy 8, those action were consistent with walts character, but this seemed to rash and sloppy.
I suppose walts rash and sloppy traits do return. I guess this was one of the first one, its like he was multiple personalities

Last edited:

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Breaking Bad, to me, is largely about not only examining Walt's downhill escalation into shit person, but is also an observation on the notion of American masculinity. From the Grey Matter storyline and fallout to wanting to feel respected by his wife, family, society, it's all about having power and control. Early glimpses of this desire in season 1 are almost showing Walt having this bubbling rage about life, but not quite knowing where to direct it. Once he commits to "the life" and goes down that path, his...toxic masculinity, if you will, is much more directed and purposeful.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No one there seems particularly worried about a burning car directly next to a gaspump

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Like everyone says its perfectly in character, before this I cant remember exactly what but he gets angry over petty little things. There's no indication that he's a supposed good person. The cancer is like the limiters being taken off, he just doesn't care to hold himself back from doing these things anymore, because he thinks he's dead anyway.

Nov 1, 2017
Like, the whole point of the character is that he's more concerned with being a badass than he is with taking other people into consideration

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OOoOOoOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOOOooooohhhhhhhhh
Didn't I treat you right, now?
Didn't IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
But to blow up someone's car just because he's an entitled douche bag seems psychotic, not to mention that its next to gas station which could of blown up and injured or killed many innocent people and caused $1000s in damage.

source.gif

Oct 31, 2017
You properly assess it right in your OP, so I'm not sure how it doesn't make sense? It is a scene depicting Walter White becoming unhinged. He is psychotic.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, Dyatlov said that the radiation was not great, not terrible, if the head guy says it's fine, whats everyone so worked up about?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What?

Committing serious arson, with high chance of harm to people is consistent with Sensible, introvert, boring chemistry teacher.
It's not the same as meth cooking and killing crazy, those action were consistent with walts character, but this seemed to rash and sloppy.
I suppose hi rash and sloppy traits do return. I guess this was the first one.

Walt is rash throughout and is extremely impulsive. He does lots of very stupid things throughout and most of the drama he gets himself into is due to these rash decisions.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Just another scene that highlights that Skylar White, the frumpy housewife that wouldn't let Walter have any criminal fun was the real evil of the series, right?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
What?

It's not the same as meth cooking and killing crazy 8, those action were consistent with walts character, but this seemed to rash and sloppy.
I suppose walts rash and sloppy traits do return. I guess this was one of the first one, its like he was multiple personalities

He was never a sensible boring introvert, that's the point. He was always a psycho who suppressed his true nature until his cancer gave him a reason to stop caring and truly be himself, which is, a psychopathic asshole.