• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, your pal KujoJosuke here.

I don't usually post about anime. Frankly, I don't watch much anime, I generally just read a shitload of manga. I've never actually seen the anime for this show (but I read chapter 1 a few months ago), but I think this opening deserves some attention. I saw it like a week ago but I didn't like...focus on it. Thought it was neat. Watched it again today since I saw it linked on another forum where that poster was trying to bring attention to it, and yeah. I've watched it quite a few times today.

Years ago I made a thread about the ending animation of Jujutsu Kaisen season 1 (Lost In Paradise). It was a great idea with amazing execution and a killer song. I thought it should have more eyes on it because of that. It stood out despite ostensibly just being anime characters dancing. Actually there's some crossover here because GGLR's opening is sung by Tatsuya Kitani, who did Where Our Blue Is for JJK's second season 1st opening.

Anyway, this season an anime for Sentai Daishikkaku aka Go Go Loser Ranger aka Ranger Reject started airing. The manga is the second major project from the creator of The Quintessential Quintuplets, and is quite the departure from what was a harem romcom to...whatever GGLR is.

Anyway, what this series is I'm not concerned about (actually from what I remember it's a really cool premise, go look into it), but what I am bringing attention to is the anime's opening.

View: https://youtu.be/bG0cGW35-TI

I'm sure someone familiar with the series more can point out how this opening either directly or metaphorically presents the themes or plot you will encounter when viewing the show or reading the manga, but I'm more concerned with the art and direction on display here.

Most shots in this opening are gorgeous or visually striking. It has a very confident sense of direction. Sure, you're seeing some pretty well worn motifs (puppet on a string, etc), but the opening works with that in fun ways. Since the series does involve Sentai characters (think Power Rangers), and most Sentai shows are for children, the song and visuals do incorporate some childish images, especially the second sequence. I think the children's vocals added to the song are pretty interesting as well. So moving on we get some cool stuff, most of which if you pause during you've got something real cool to look at. Throw in a neat Escher stairs sequence and we're cooking. I'd say the only part of the opening that goes more "standard" is the sequence from :50 to 1:10 which the song also becomes what you'd expect, although I think the visuals during this sequence are still, you guessed it, pretty cool.
And then it finishes off strong with the final sequence, and the faces in the broken glass is a great way to wrap things up.

I realized during the preview this video is one of those "unavailable" embeds, I apologize, but it is the official upload.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I haven't see the show past episode 1 yet (me and my friends have picked it as one of the shows for our remote watch party sessions), the meaning of the visuals is pretty obvious to me just from knowing the general premise.

I really love the part where an anthropomorphic Earth is playing around with his body like a doll.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's a really great series and it's getting a very good adaptation. Go watch it, y'all.

And yeah, the OP goes hard

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The opening and ending are both fun. Weirdly enough I would have preferred this as a live action thing.