• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
edit: Oops video below not realtime but apparently doable at lower detail. Curious what is needed to run this.

I saw this on my twitter feed and at first was "uh huh sure" thinking it was a joke about it being realtime but nope, it is indeed real. Admittedly the shaky cam helps with the photoreal impression but still impressive nonetheless.

From the artist's artstation project page description:

My latest environment, freely based on a real-life train station in Toyama, Japan.
I'll be uploading breakdown shots soon as well!

I worked on all modeling, texturing, lighting and animation. Foliage is from Quixel Megascans.
The environment is running in Unreal Engine 5, lit with Lumen. I didn't use Nanite, so models are created using the standard low-poly workflow.
For this project, I wanted to get as close to photorealism as possible. I used camera matching to get accurate proportions and made careful use of reference. I adjusted the measurements afterwards to help with modularity.

Aside from detail textures and alphas created from photographs, I created all textures from scratch in Painter and made custom materials in Unreal for use with vertex painting or masks to break up repetition.

To shoot the video, I used real-time VR tracking to emulate a handheld camera and flashlight.

Imagine a VR horror game with these visuals đź‘€

Last edited:

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I saw this the other day and it was the first time I thought, "oh shit, next gen is here".

The shitty lighting warping and the white balance shifting on the edge of the stairs as if it was being filmed through a gopro was got me. "Oh this a reality/in game comparison. When are we gonna get to the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-".

This, to me, is 10000x more impressive than any of the other UE5 demos shown thus far.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
I can see indie horrors dropping the psx trend and jump into hyperrealist, cam footage aesthetics with UE5, cant wait!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
note that this is with the high resolution movie render, but the artist said that it can run in real time, just not as good

I can see indie horrors dropping the psx trend and jump into hyperrealist, cam footage aesthetics with UE5, cant wait!
yea no. it was difficult enough to mimic PT in UE4

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think Ninja Theory's Project: Mara will be pretty close to this in realism, and it's a psychological horror game đź‘€

project-mara-28211.768x432.jpg

gabyb

Jun 23, 2021
I was 100% conviced this was fake at the beginning because it looked too good, but the artist knows what he is talking about. This is the most impressive demo I have seen yet, and he did it with a gpu worse than mine. What a great artist.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It's important to note what they say, which is that this was not a real time render. And that it was about 7FPS.

Still looks really good

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this on my twitter feed and at first was "uh huh sure" thinking it was a joke about it being realtime but nope, it is indeed real.

From the Youtube comments

FAQ

- Is it real time?
No, it's a high-res render (around 7 frames per second). I can run it in real time, but image quality is worse. It's not particularly optimized anyway, you could get better performance with a little more work

gabyb

Jun 23, 2021
Keep in mind, this is not real time
I would love to see the rendering in real time, they say they can run it, it just has worse image quality. Maybe with a powerful enough GPU they could render it in real time? They have a RTX 2080, maybe with a RTX 3090 Ti it could be done.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
is that an actual game NT is working on or just a demo?
Project Mara is an in-development experimental game from Ninja Theory with a focus on recreating the terror of mental health issues and it will be "based on real lived experience accounts and in-depth research."
Seems like a game? Probably more of an experience if anything.

Oct 29, 2017
Getting the dynamic range too look right makes a world of difference , I think that is in part why this looks so good.

You can have completely accurate global illumination and reflections but if you capture it and grade it in a way that pushes brightness levels in an unnatural way, light will look somewhat unnatural just because of that.

Fudus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2020
It looks very impressive but same as the UE4 apartment tour, it is a completely static environment.
The problem is when you add animations, physics and other interactivity because they need to be at the same fidelity to not look super jarring.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people gonna jump on this to make horror games but i'm more impressed with the daylight portion and want to see studios who produce graphic adventures adapt these visuals. Getting lost and controlling a story in the most realistic life world is my gaming prayer 🙏🏾

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
People WOULD shit their pants if horror games looked like this in VR. Literally too real.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So at about 1:13, is there a person on the opposite platform or is that just the way the lightning is?

Oct 28, 2017
May 9th 2022

The day I learned I can't trust my eyes anymore.
Between this and the Kendrick Lamar video, I don't know what is real?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Something this does show is how the visual stages used for things like The Mandalorian are going to benefit greatly from UE5. They were already using UE4 to create those incredible looking backgrounds vs using a green screen and then dropping it in so I'm excited to see in the next couple years what studios are able to come up with even more powerful tools at their disposal.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
UE5 is sheer wizardry. How is it able to do vast incredible scale of Matrix demo but also do a very personal horror FPS vibe with the same engine...

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
This was so photoreal that the inaccuracies of the vr-tracking were the main give away of the uncanny valley. In normal VR you don't really notice it but the loss of tracking precision is pretty apparent here.

Also the most imporessive thing here is the lighting to me. You could get close to this same look in even older unity versions but it would just be a total "bake to win" deal where this is real time (which is insane).

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
this gen is gonna look batshit insane for sure. I mean jfc The last of us 2 looks incredible and that's on a ps4. We're in for a wild ride later this gen, no doubt

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
PlayStation 5 graphics at the end of this generation... Oh man.

I just hope many developers realise that you don't have to sacrifice atmosphere and art direction just because you have super-awesome graphics. Especially with horror games. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
For the first minute I could have sworn I was looking at phone cam footage. I was like "Oh okay. Nice one OP."

Then the darkness came and I almost shat myself. That's absolutely insane!

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
really impressed by their post process volume settings here mixed with what i assume is hardware lumen. I have been using a lot of stuff from William F. lately to get my post process image looking good