Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
The whole Mike Matei thing is a turn off and I find it annoying whenever YouTube people start inserting their little buddies they pal around with in all their videos. I was a fan of James, not them.
In this case the "buddies" are also crew members that help with production and set design/construction. The channel is expanding because of their contributions.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
He can do what he wants but it's weird for someone to treat the fucking Ghostbusters canon, of all things, as sacrosanct

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I used to watch James' stuff all the time, I followed him when GameTrailers shut down, I helped fund his movie & still subscribed to him for around 2 years after.

Mike's slow invasion into James' channel though really started to put me off, AVGN episodes were coming out much slower (understandably) as James was busy and Mike started doing videos with some guy called Ryan, I had zero interest in these videos even though I'm sure Mike made them because James needed to upload a certain amount of videos to keep his channel in good standing but it wasn't what I subscribed for, so after around 6 months I called it quits and unsubscribed.

As much as I can tell James is still a great guy but I haven't seen an AVGN episode since I unsubscribed and as long as Mike has a large part in the channel I don't want anything to do with it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He can do what he wants but it's weird for someone to treat the fucking Ghostbusters canon, of all things, as sacrosanct

If you had followed his content for years it became pretty clear that the original Ghostbusters is one of his all time favorite films and he has stated several times how he wants a Ghostbusters 3 to happen with the original cast, ever since he was a kid even. This was years before any talk of a reboot even took place. With all this in mind, It is not hard to understand why he wouldn't support a reboot that completely dashed any hope of a "Ghostbusters 3" happening.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
he used to be funny before : "eat a chicken found on the wall? Must be fucking dirty"

Now? he is painfully unfunny, like, holy shit dude , are you even telling jokes or just screaming curse words and making angry faces?

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I added a little more after you replied. Yeah, I'm not begrudging anyone who decided to skip it or not see it, and I don't think James was obligated to see it or even comment on it. I think the best thing he could've done is not issue an announcement video and let it blow over until the thing came out.
Pretty fair take - in fact I bet with hindsight James would agree with you lol

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
If you had followed his content for years it became pretty clear that the original Ghostbusters is one of his all time favorite films and he has stated several times how he wants a Ghostbusters 3 to happen with the original cast, ever since he was a kid even. This was years before any talk of a reboot even took place. With all this in mind, It is not hard to understand why he wouldn't support a reboot that completely dashed any hope of a "Ghostbusters 3" happening.

You know, as someone who has zero attachment to this franchise (seriously, I haven't watched a single Ghostbusters film, TV show, or read a a single comic book - though the first film is on my extremely long bucket list), I've found it really curious that, since the failure of the reboot, some people keep putting forth the argument that the first film wasn't anything special either. Because up until that point, I'd never seen any talk like that. And I've been on the internet a long damn time. I've been meaning to watch the original Ghostbusters for well over a decade, specifically because of how good everyone has always told me it is.

And like, people don't have any issue with mega fans of Terminator, Predator, or Alien trashing the shitty reboots/sequels that Hollywood keeps putting out - to name just a few of the many other classics of the 80s and 90s that have been run into the ground over the last couple decades. And yet hardcore Ghostbusters fans are apparently too hung up over their favorite franchise and need to accept that the original film wasn't ever that big of a deal? Does not compute.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
His MonsterMadness stuff was extremely influential on my love for horror and I thank him for that. But apart from that it's mostly teenage humour that I was not very found of.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I've found it really curious that, since the failure of the reboot, some people keep putting forth the argument that the first film wasn't anything special either. Because up until that point, I'd never seen any talk like that. And I've been on the internet a long damn time. I've been meaning to watch the original Ghostbusters for well over a decade, specifically because of how good everyone has always told me it is.
Can find people on the internet saying anything, it's a big place haha

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
You know, as someone who has zero attachment to this franchise (seriously, I haven't watched a single Ghostbusters film, TV show, or read a a single comic book - though the first film is on my extremely long bucket list), I've found it really curious that, since the failure of the reboot, some people keep putting forth the argument that the first film wasn't anything special either. Because up until that point, I'd never seen any talk like that. And I've been on the internet a long damn time. I've been meaning to watch the original Ghostbusters for well over a decade, specifically because of how good everyone has always told me it is.

And like, people don't have any issue with mega fans of Terminator, Predator, or Alien trashing the shitty reboots/sequels that Hollywood keeps putting out - to name just a few of the many other classics of the 80s and 90s that have been run into the ground over the last couple decades. And yet hardcore Ghostbusters fans are apparently too hung up over their favorite franchise and need to accept that the original film wasn't ever that big of a deal? Does not compute.
The reaction to GB16, even before we saw anything of it, was way beyond those other reboots, and the discourse well was poisoned right from the start

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed AVGN a ton back in the day. The videos where he went into the history of the hardware a bit were actually quite informative outside of the juvenile jokes. (I honestly would love a gaming history series by him. I think he'd do a good job.)

I've grown out of his work though and the people he works with are shitty so I don't feel comfortable following him anymore.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still a fan and watch new AVGN episodes and Monster Madness every year.

With that said like most people Mike being a bigger part of the show has me pretty much click off anything he's on. He dominates a lot of the segments and it's annoying. Even before his racist comic came out I honestly couldn't stand him.

That Polybius episode kinda freaked me out a little. Good job with that.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AVGN and his teenage-style humour isn't for me, and that's okay. The thing that bothers me is that fans take him seriously as a historian. His Genesis vs SNES video where he's not even playing a character is so biased in favour of Nintendo, it's embarrassing. And I remember a pre-NES video where he complains about no enemies in Smurf on Coleco. There are enemies in the game; he's just playing on easy mode and didn't take a second to look at the manual or press another button. And finding out his friends are racist sucks, too.

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
mainline AVGN episodes are better than ever. and I'm happy to see the channel not only get over 1 million subscribers, but explode to over 3 million in just the last couple years after all this time. Mike Matai notwithstanding.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
The reaction to GB16, even before we saw anything of it, was way beyond those other reboots, and the discourse well was poisoned right from the start

That doesn't have any bearing on whether or not the original film was any good or not. What I am pointing out is that, after the new film ended up sucking so bad that almost nobody could defend it (including almost nobody here or on the old site before the exodus), suddenly we started seeing people saying that the original was never really good either. What an interesting coincidence.

Can find people on the internet saying anything, it's a big place haha

Oh wow, you're really running with this whole "the original Ghostbusters was never a big deal." I guess that's why it never became a massive franchise with zillions of product tie-ins and spin-offs, much like many other classics of the day. ...Oh, wait.

(I've been an active user of a dozen message boards since the age of 11, covering all sorts of different subjects and fandoms. It's not like I only have posted on on forums filled with die-hard Ghostbusters fans. The film was critically acclaimed, made a whole bunch of money, and scores of people I have talked to over the course of over a decade and a half hold it in high regard to this day.)

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Oh wow, you're really running with this whole "the original Ghostbusters was never a big deal." I guess that's why it never became a massive franchise with zillions of product tie-ins and spin-offs, much like many other classics of the day. ...Oh, wait.

(I've been an active user of a dozen message boards since the age of 11, covering all sorts of different subjects. It's not like I only posted on forums filled with die-hard Ghostbusters fans. The film was critically acclaimed, made a whole bunch of money, and scores people I have talked to over the course of 15+ years hold it in high regard to this day.)
Are you doing a bit or did you just really misread my comment, I cannot even tell!

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't have any bearing on whether or not the original film was any good or not. What I am pointing out is that, after the new film ended up sucking so bad that almost nobody could defend it (including almost nobody here or on the old site before the exodus), suddenly we started seeing people saying that the original was never really good either. What an interesting coincidence.
That's what I'm saying, the conversation was taken to such an extreme right off the bat that you even had folks trying to say GB1 was never good. Everything was revved right up to stupid levels immediately. For the record I liked both movies just fine, even if I have plenty of issues with '16.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Are you doing a bit or did you just really misread my comment, I cannot even tell!

Oh, wait, now I see what you're saying. Yeah, well here's the problem: some of those people are right here in this damn thread. It's been, what, 3 years since the reboot came out, a brand new movie is already on its way, and people are still acting like Ghostbusters was never a big deal? Come on.

That's what I'm saying, the conversation was taken to such an extreme right off the bat that you even had folks trying to say GB1 was never good. Everything was revved right up to stupid levels immediately. For the record I liked both movies just fine, even if I have plenty of issues with '16.

Agreed. It really sucks. Toxic nerds are the fucking worst and turn everything to shit. If there hadn't had been such a sexist outcry over the reboot, I guarantee you we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now.

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I was really into AVGN years ago, I even watched that awful movie he made. I don't know the man personally, but James always looked like a cool guy. I even tolerated that unfunny ass of Mike Matei at first. I was already falling down with the channel but I remember the exact moment I unsubscribed and that was when they releases a fucking video with AlphaOmegaSin (a gamergater supporter). I don't know if James is naive, he does not care or malicious but whatever, I don't care anymore. And I see that he still gets together with not the best persons. Also #JusticeForBootsy.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda feel the same as OP post
New stuff ain't as great and I hardly bother with it, but some of the old AVGN and Monster Madness episodes are still fun for a rewatch every now and then. James seems like an all around chill dude so I still hope it all works out for him.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I enjoy watching Monster Madness and rental review, but now that people have pointed out that James is just a "yeah, Yeah" voice box, in most episodes, I can't NOT hear it lol

AVGN hasn't kept up with the times and it's too cringy for me to watch.
James and Mike Mondays are shit because:
1. I can't stand the racist
2. James is phoning it in

Bengraven