• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Eh? This is just a rebranding of THQ Barcelona?:

THQ NORDIC BARCELONA

THQ Nordic Barcelona game development studio

They are working on the Gothic Remake since 2019, so i guess it's them. They just changed their name.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks they could do some massive QOL improvements on the controls front.

Another part of me thinks that if they did do that, it wouldn't be Gothic.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Part of me thinks they could do some massive QOL improvements on the controls front.

Another part of me thinks that if they did do that, it wouldn't be Gothic.

There is a playable teaser out there. It controls completely different, not that that's entirely positive in this case.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they've gotten better since the teaser release because that was rough. I still have hope though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
All serious indie RPG studios have my support. That sector has carried the genre in recent years. Can't wait to hear more.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Comparing screenshots on the Steam page of the Gothic Playable Teaser and their website, they seem to have changed some post-processing effects on the images on their website, but not much else. Things look less blurry now. I guess we'll have to wait "a couple months" before we get to see if/what things have changed.

Image suit on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/1l2BIQJ

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The Teaser had legit some of the worst written dialogue and voice performances I've heard in a professional production

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That playable teaser was real bad and fundamentally missed a lot of things about Gothic so I don't expect much from this remake.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
how is thq even making money? lol i swear that place is a front
THQ Nordic has published 30+ games since 2014 including SpongeBob, TitanQuest, This is the Police, Destroy All Humans, multiple Darksider games, Red faction remake, and more. So I guess making games is how they are making money.

They are owned by the Embracer group but they are still publishing a lot of games.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The Teaser had legit some of the worst written dialogue and voice performances I've heard in a professional production

Honestly the "production" side of it was the very least of my issues since that is all stuff that can be worked on. Main thing was how very un-Gothic it was. Like it may work as a modern RPG under some other name but it had almost nothing that felt like Gothic 1 and 2.

Oct 31, 2017
That playable teaser was real bad and fundamentally missed a lot of things about Gothic so I don't expect much from this remake.
I'm vaguely hopeful exclusively because after its release they CLAIMED to have acknowledged a lot of the criticism and to be ready to act accordingly.
We'll see, I guess.

It's not like everything about it was irredeemable after all. The overall production value wasn't too shabby.
it's more on the mechanical side that they did a lot of poor choices.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
A proof of concept is not the same thing. The Teaser was exactly that
I'm vaguely hopeful exclusively because after its release they CLAIMED to have acknowledged a lot of the criticism and to be ready to act accordingly.
We'll see, I guess.

Yes. They also have a dude working there that is in contact with the german gothic community and is a big gothic fan himself. He acknowledged what was wrong in the Teaser and said they are changing A LOT of stuff.
He went as far as stating that they were looking on getting the Voice Audios, and if they need to voice new stuff, they will hire the original actors sinc emost of them are active.

You can read it here in german:

www.gamestar.de

Gothic-Remake: Die Originalsprecher könnten zurückkehren

Wie uns Producer Reinhard Pollice im GameStar-Podcast verriet, soll sich an der deutschen Original-Vertonung von Gothic möglichst nichts ändern.

Also this post from last year was really reassuring:

@everyone
https://twitter.com/ElMegalomator/st...38586554130432

Important notes -
- everything will change and get closer to the original (on a scale from 1 to 10 for how much the Teaser's mechanics represent the final game, he put it at a 1,35)
- they want to make useless interactive things like benches etc more important and immersive
- the more strategic teaser combat lost the essence of Gothic and doesn't work well against animals
- they are building many prototypes for new combat systems, it will stay more tactical than action-focused though
- there will be animations for eating and drinking
- They have a checklist now to test whether new content ideas are "Gothic-worthy"
- no disconnect between player and hero for available knowledge and how you're guided through the game (no rambling hero anymore)
- not final yet, but they don't want to rerecord existing dialogues from the original because the voice-overs are so important to many fans
- they now have 20-25 people in their team
- they plan to start communicating again sometime in 2020 and then want to steadily maintain that connection

For the German part of the community -
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/podc...e,3359967.html
https://open.spotify.com/episode/48I...iA986Mp6qy2HYQ
If you can translate to Polish/Russian please let me know and i will be happy to pin that too ��

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I hope they've played the original Gothic and know why fans love it and it's still one of the best open world ARPGs to this date... as not even recent Piranha Bytes haven't fully figured out, to this day, why people loved it.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
lol the remake is just a clear example of trying to cash in on the Witcher. What a lack of creativity and originality, unfortunately. The main character looks like Geralt, the UI design looks like the Witcher, and the music is so similar to TW3.

Oct 31, 2017
Frankly I'm not particularly concerned about fluff like "getting the original voice actors".
And the visual were more than fine enough.

My issues with the "teaser demo" were more specifically about how many aspects of the game on a mechanical level became virtually antithetic to what made Gothic a great series to begin with.

Over-exposition, overly chatty NPCs, a protagonist that would never quit spouting annoying quips or describing what was going on to the most minute detail, an invasive UI leading the player by the nose with markers and minimaps, "architectonic barriers" made by crap like "three crates in a row", chest-high barriers you couldn't climb over, fences that didn't let you pass below them even when crouching (even if it looked like you were supposed to be able to), the fact that you couldn't actually fall off a bridge/cliff but you'd find yourself running against an invisible wall, the concept of getting a weapon and fighting dangerous enemies from the get go instead of making clear from the beginning that you are NOT special and in fact weak as a kitten at first, etc, etc.

Even with its limited and now extremely dated tech one thing the Gothic games sold you on from the first moments was the illusion to be a in a physically consistent 3D space and a consistent micro-ecosystem, where what you'd see would be what you'd get.
The demo threw that idea out of the window from the very first steps its fictional world. Everything in its environment felt like a cardboard set ready to break any illusion every time it was put to test.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Frankly I'm not particularly concerned about fluff like "getting the original voice actors".

My issues with the "teaser demo" were more specifically about how many aspects of the game on a mechanical level became virtually antithetic to what made Gothic a great series to begin with.

Over-exposition, overly chatty NPCs, a protagonist that would never quit spouting annoying quips or describing what was going on to the most minute detail, an invasive UI leading the player by the nose with markers and minimaps, "architectonic barriers" made by crap like "three crates in a row", chest-high barriers you couldn't climb over, fences that didn't let you pass below them even when crouching (even if it looked like you were supposed to be able to), the fact that you couldn't actually fall off a bridge/cliff but you'd find yourself running against an invisible wall, the concept of getting a weapon and fighting dangerous enemies from the get go instead of making clear from the beginning that you are NOT special and in fact weak as a kitten at first, etc, etc.

Even with its limited and now extremely dated tech one thing the Gothic games sold you on from the first moments was the illusion to be a in a physically consistent 3D space, where what you'd see would be what you'd get.
The demo threw that idea out of the window from the very first steps its fictional world. Everything in its environment felt like a cardboard set ready to break any illusion every time it was put to test.

I think if you don't play the game with the german voices it's not really important. For the german gamers it's actually one of the most important aspects. The voice actors used an distinct german slang called "Ruhrpott dialekt", which is what made the game really special and believable to many.

Most of the stuff you posted is acknowledged and just couldn't be done in a teaser. Reinhard even said, that they didnt have the time to do some stuff in the PT, but will be there in the proper game.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

"Let me copy your homework"
"Ok but just change some of it so it isn't obvious"

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

This right here. It is encouraging to hear that they have acknowledged things that were wrong and expressed the intent to change things but I'd rather go in with low expectations from what I have seen. Less likely to be disappointed and more of a chance to be pleasantly surprised.