• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Boreanaz is 100% from Bones and Bones alone for me. Sorry!

AggressiveViciousAmericancurl-size_restricted.gif

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Who can forget classic DiDio quotes like "We don't publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year-olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do Scooby-Doo.", or "We need a rape."

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Is he the reason Renee had all of her character development erased? Still can't get into DC Comics because of that.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Is he the reason Renee had all of her character development erased? Still can't get into DC Comics because of that.
Famously, he's the reason no one in Batman books could ever be happy/have a happy home life. He literally had a mandate about that. He was directly responsible for Kate Kane and Maggie Sawyer's then planned wedding to not happen.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about this-I'm almost certain that the giant advertising push for Bendis at DC, his presumably massive contract and salary and the utter failure of that to catch any sort of fire whatsoever has to be part of the reasoning for Didio's dismissal.

Editorial decisions and character assassination will piss off readers. Publically failed investments and acquisitions piss off the execs.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So... what actually happened? Was he fired? Did he quit? Why?

Whoever can bring back Wally and kill Barry needs to be in charge.

I always assumed this was Geoff Johns? Isn't he who pushed to get Barry back in the first place.

Famously, he's the reason no one in Batman books could ever be happy/have a happy home life. He literally had a mandate about that. He was directly responsible for Kate Kane and Maggie Sawyer's then planned wedding to not happen.

I think this was a general anti-marriage rule, not specifically a Batman one.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about this-I'm almost certain that the giant advertising push for Bendis at DC, his presumably massive contract and salary and the utter failure of that to catch any sort of fire whatsoever has to be part of the reasoning for Didio's dismissal.
Dan survived many bad bets. Why would hiring Bendis be the final straw?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Didio presided over a ton of decisions I hated, but from his statement I''m not sure how many of them were really his.
If he wasn't the one making those decisions then he was the one who greenlit them, so he's still responsible as far as I'm concerned.

While I'm sure there's other idiots in DC management/editorial who thought stupid shit like Ric Grayson and bringing Barry Allen back were good ideas, hearing that the head idiot is out is great news. I haven't read comics regularly for years and it'd take a lot to get me back in but I can still remember all the Didio shit I hated. Pushing all the silver age boomer heroes to the forefront while butchering all the 90s heroes I enjoyed. Mocking fans for complaining that their favourite heroes were killed off, retconned or worse. An over reliance on shock value, particularly blood and guts but sometimes far worse. The constant reboots that'd give them a short term boost but they'd inevitably fuck up. Countdown to Final Crisis. And running to Geoff Johns to fix every problem/non-problem they had.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Editorial decisions and character assassination will piss off readers. Publically failed investments and acquisitions piss off the execs.

Very good read imo

Dan survived many bad bets. Why would hiring Bendis be the final straw?

The executive layout has changed, for starters.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can they finally let Bob Harras's Eddie Berganza-enabling ass go now?

You can't spell "sexual harassment" without "Harras."

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
5G sounds dumb as hell, was this a Didio pet project? The kind of story that gets widely panned and retconned within a year.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why then? Honest question!
Cause they not only respect alll the zany comic book history, they can make it work. Buisek took a grabbag of jokes and made the Thunderbolts, honestly the last real new superhero brand and fabian ran with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's huge.

He did a lot that I disagreed with as a fan (my favorite DC characters are Cassandra and Wally for god's sake), but I always did believe that he had a real love for DC on the whole. I'm curious to find out what the hell happened.

May 9, 2019
5G is supposed to explain all the different continuities and place them all into the same timeline. I don't know what's going to happen now, but that was the plan.
So I heard and honestly I'm glad we are getting a timeline because DC really needs it at this point. However, good luck to whoever has to make it. New 52 and Pre-52 clash at certain points so to make them both work you really gotta go all the way through and not be lazy.

Like, how are they gonna explain Cyborg being part of the NTT but being a JL founder? That's a headache all in itself. Not to mention Batman's timeline is incredibly wonky since he went through like 4 robins in 5 years or so. I want this timeline to work but DC is DC.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
So I heard and honestly I'm glad we are getting a timeline because DC really needs it at this point. However, good luck to whoever has to make it. New 52 and Pre-52 clash at certain points so to make them both work you really gotta go all the way through and not be lazy.

Like, how are they gonna explain Cyborg being part of the NTT but being a JL founder? That's a headache all in itself. Not to mention Batman's timeline is incredibly wonky since he went through like 4 robins in 5 years or so. I want this timeline to work but DC is DC.
pretty sure they've already retconned vic being a founding JL member when they brought j'onn back for snyders run.

the cover for the FCBD issue has him pretty prominently in his NTT outfit.

whether this actually amounts to anything meaningful, who knows.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Just make Dick Dick again.

(Also, if you're gonna have Tim keep that shitty identity, turn either everything brown or everything black on his costume green. It's the one Batman/Robin/Batgirl color that no one in the family is using as their primary.)
Sure, I like the Dick/Damien dynamic tho, and when he is batman you can't avoid it.

Dec 2, 2017
it upsets me that these days Jim Lee is more associated with DC than Marvel.

Kinda like when people say "David Boreanaz, you know from Bones" or "David Duchovny, you know, from Californication"

:(
In all fairness by the time he got to DC his artistic chops & general sensibilities were miles ahead of his heyday. But yeah, he'll always be the X-Men guy to me.

Though he did draw the best Aquaman. The mutton chops should've stuck.

jimleeaquaman5xjk4.jpg

If he wasn't the one making those decisions then he was the one who greenlit them, so he's still responsible as far as I'm concerned.

While I'm sure there's other idiots in DC management/editorial who thought stupid shit like Ric Grayson and bringing Barry Allen back were good ideas, hearing that the head idiot is out is great news. I haven't read comics regularly for years and it'd take a lot to get me back in but I can still remember all the Didio shit I hated. Pushing all the silver age boomer heroes to the forefront while butchering all the 90s heroes I enjoyed. Mocking fans for complaining that their favourite heroes were killed off, retconned or worse. An over reliance on shock value, particularly blood and guts but sometimes far worse. The constant reboots that'd give them a short term boost but they'd inevitably fuck up. Countdown to Final Crisis. And running to Geoff Johns to fix every problem/non-problem they had.

See, the boomer thing I thought was Geoff Johns, he was very vocal about those characters. He was just picking up on the nostalgia train Mark Waid, Alex Ross & Kurt Busiek had started as a reaction against the "every character is dead and replaced by an edgelord" trend of the 90s.

The violence thing...it felt like people above Didio thought DC should be churning out Dark Knight & Watchmen type IP: movie & prestige TV-ready concepts. So they hired legit novelists & screenwriters like Meltzer to try & create serious-business our-characters-are-adults stories around their main properties.

The shock value thing felt like an inevitable reaction to the fact that every series that didn't have a long established track record sank like a stone, and they kept doing event books because however much they grumbled, that was what the fans turned out for. Comics were in a bad place before the MCU broke out, and both Marvel & DC had higher-ups & investors to answer to.

Not that I'm defending any of this stuff. Barry Allen coming back made zero sense to me. He had an iconic ending, no particularly well-defined or unique personality traits, and a replacement who was well liked and just come off Mark Waid & Grant Morrison runs that after a billion years had actually given the Flash a mythos.

Same with Ray Palmer. In Ryan Choi they actually had a Grant Morrison created Asian hero with his own title who wasn't a martial arts stereotype and...they killed him off to bring back another silver ager nobody had any particularly strong feelings for.

The blood & guts thing felt all wrong, Johns had really nailed what was great about the core of DC with JSA, unironically embracing its heroism, while updating them in a way that felt true to the characters. To then try and shoehorn in the stuff from the blood & guts 90s that everyone was sick of seemed tacky and unnecessary.

And the endless events and shocks...that actually burned me out in the end. I haven't really been back to comics since Metal, which I know some people liked but I found too goofy for words.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i'm still mad for what he did to cassandra
that oyl storyline is like a wound that just won't heal