IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
6104845511c205edb616f22e97b5820d11e48853.gif

From the THR article that just dropped about DC being at a turning point

Meanwhile, in Gotham City, filmmaker Reeves is quietly making his own expansion plans. Reeves is developing a sequel to his The Batman, which grossed a respectable $770.8 million worldwide when it was released in March. Already, a series spinoff focusing on Colin Farrell's Penguin is on its way to filming next year. But Reeves is plotting more. The filmmaker is meeting with writers and directors to build out movies — yes movies, not just series — focused on Batman rogue's gallery, both established and more obscure, with characters ranging from the Scarecrow to Clayface to Professor Pyg. All those projects are in the very early stages of gestation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Please no. This "let's make solo movies about all of this hero's villains, WITHOUT said hero" trend sucks when Sony does it and it'll suck when WB does it.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's like Sony's Spidey plans, except WB has the rights to everything in the DC Universe.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
eh, y'know.. i may actually prefer this to more standalone batman movies

problem i had with The Batman is I wasn't particularly sold on it's criminal underground. which is an issue if they want to go the "grounded" route

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they plan to have Batman featured in each movie in some significant way, I don't think I would be interested in seeing every notable villain get some origin story/feature film.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Free idea for them. Resurrect the Gotham PD show they wanted to do for HBO Max and focus each season on a new member of the rogue galley.

There is no need for individual movies based on villains. Limited run series on HBO Max seem to be the better approach to me.

Either way, it looks like Reeves gets to play in his own sandbox and that's all I care about in the grand scheme of things.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Joker is one of the best movies that Warner brothers had put out in years before dune . Thus , making this point rubbish .

It's barely even a Joker movie in any way. You could completely erase the DC branding from that movie and lose nothing because it's basically just a movie about a murderer who wears clown makeup.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
It's barely even a Joker movie in any way. You could completely erase the DC branding from that movie and lose nothing because it's basically just a movie about a murderer who wears clown makeup.
Doesn't make it any worse regardless. Joker is still one of the best movies that WB has put out years. If they can do similar movies to Joker, the movies will be perfectly fine.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There are batman villains that can hold their own movie

Clayface, Pyg and Scarecrow are absolutely NOT the ones.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
These projects are gonna take awhile to ramp up. Like we could be well into production on Batman 3 by the time this "Gotham universe" is in full swing. And is Pattinson really gonna be on board for much longer than 3 movies?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Unless Batman is facing them, this will not land. As main characters they will completely jump the shark and alienate the audiences

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Batman's villains have such good concepts that they can stand alone, I don't have a problem with this.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck with that. As a Batman fan, I couldn't be less interested in dedicated villain movies.

I guess WB are stuck though if they're not going to make Bat family movies and cancel the ones they do make.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they'll make a movie about Batman's greatest enemy: Superman.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised people are down on this. Supervillain slasher/psychological horror films or Gotham PD thrillers investigating the city's batshit underworld could be cool

Please no. This "let's make solo movies about all of this hero's villains, WITHOUT said hero" trend sucks when Sony does it and it'll suck when WB does it.
Hey the Undisputed movies made it work, so it is possible

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Oh they are villain centered?

I was all hyped up for more of The Batman with it's focused theming and atmosphere with a new look at a different aspect of him.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Make a better Batman film first.

It's not impossible to do other films, it might actually be more interesting if you get most of the backstory out the way in such films and they could be anything, not blockbusters by any means, I think the problem is can you make any of it work and not realise 10 years have passed before they have any good crossover.

Oct 28, 2017
this is fine, but I question why. there's certainly room to have a very large batman cinematic universe that's separate from other DC stuff, but how about you introduce the batfamily and let them have their time to shine? have scarecrow be a villain a nightwing movie. have firefly be a villain in a batgirl movie, you know?

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
This sounds rad. It doesn't mean we aren't getting more Batman, just that Matt Reeves is getting to do his thing while creating a universe. WB makes good movies, Sony mostly does not.

There's also nothing stating they can't use the Batfamily.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
this is fine, but I question why. there's certainly room to have a very large batman cinematic universe that's separate from other DC stuff, but how about you introduce the batfamily and let them have their time to shine? have scarecrow be a villain a nightwing movie. have firefly be a villain in a batgirl movie, you know?
This would def be a lot more compelling.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I could see a horror, R-Rated slasher with Professor Pyg as a decent low-to-mid budget Halloween movie. Throw in an appearance or two of some of Gotham's finest and you're good to go.

Not sure where the other ones fit though

Edit: on second thought, Jason Todd forms a good relationship, eventually, with a survivor of Pyg. Mix up the story a bit and I could see Todd being one of of the "survivors" of the Pyg movie before he links up with Bruce.

The idea above of Grayson or Barbara showing up I the other movies makes a lot of sense too.

Marus

Alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2022
absolutely nothing wrong with this if Reeves is leading the charge. Yall don't have to watch.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Please dont. We really dont need another studio running wild with random spin offs for villains lol. Just do Bat-family movies with the different villains.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize how much I wanted Robert Englund as Scarecrow until Injustice 2. What an ace casting.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'd absolutely love to see Batman sequel with Clayface. Not sure about a solo movie though.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Give Professor Pyg to Damien Leone and have Art the Clown play him

giphy.gif

This is just a win win win

latest

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Reeves Feige-ing his own DC corner sounds like the perfect balance of cinematic universe (because these aren't going away) and tight tonal reins.

Considering he already did Zodiac Riddler and body-horror Joker, I imagine these villain stories would lean be more horror/psychological thriller/crime noir tonally

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
It can work of it's building up to something* but each movie would need Batman in there somehow, even if it's just this ever present threat they have to avoid during their heists and capers.

But yea realistically this can go badly really easily.

*Like doing Knightfall from the villain's PoVs to fake out the audience and go "Surprise!" when it's super obvious some Knightfall shit is about to go down.