Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Longtime X-Men producer Simon Kinberg is beaming up to a new franchise.

The multi-hyphenate is in talks to produce a new Star Trek feature for Paramount Pictures, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. If all goes well, the door would open to him taking active creative roles on the rest of the storied franchise's film side. Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are the main creative producers on Star Trek's television side.

The project Kinberg would step into is already in very active development. Toby Haynes, who directed episodes of of the Star Wars series Andor, is on board to direct the new feature, with Seth Grahame-Smith writing the script. The project is said to be set decades before the events of the 2009 movie that was directed J.J. Abrams, likely around modern times. It is said to involve the creation of the Starfleet and humankind's first contact with alien life.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Simon Kinberg in Talks to Produce ‘Star Trek’ Movie Franchise for Paramount

Paramount is looking to the ‘X-Men’ producer to boldly go and relaunch the property on the big screen.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Can we not, please, put the writer of two X-Men Phoenix movies as the producer for Star Trek?

Please?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This dude's a fucking hack and how he continues to get work astounds me.

Nov 27, 2020
We had a movie on that second part.

It's called.

Hollywood, this will blow your minds.

"First Contact."
We also had an entire four season TV series about the first part too…

All of this sounds dumb, and until there are actors standing in front of cameras filming, I don't believe this will actually get made anyway.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
also didn't those two events take place like many many decades apart from each other

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Trek fans finally start to get a reprieve recently? Guess that's over lol

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to attribute the last two Xmen movies mostly to how Fox was handling the franchise. Kinberg basically saved Days of Future Past when Singer went AWOL, which happened again for Apocalypse, but it didn't work out that time.

But yeah, I don't have much confidence in the direction of the upcoming Star Trek movie or this proposed series. Star Trek is a weird place again now that Paramount is trimming stuff down.

Also, this all feels like Star Trek Enterprise erasure, and that really bums me out.

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
How? How the fuck does he keep getting gifted these huge franchises?

From Wiki:

He was named #61 on the list of 100 most powerful people in Hollywood by The Hollywood Reporter in 2016. The same year, The Hollywood Reporter named Kinberg as the highest-paid screenwriter in Hollywood with a record US$16 million for two X-Men scripts, and named him as one of the highest-paid producers in Hollywood with US$40 million for Deadpool in their annual Hollywood Salaries issue.

I guess he had a few hits like Deadpool which kept him going for sure.

Nov 27, 2020
Of course, now that I said that, this is the guy who adapted the same story TWICE in the same franchise, so a redo of First Contact and Enterprise might actually be in his wheelhouse. 😂

But seriously…this all sounds dumb. If it's a completely different version of first contact (and in modern times? What's up with that?) it wouldn't even be the Kelvinverse either. Like…I don't know what this is. A prequel reboot thingy?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
How? How the fuck does he keep getting gifted these huge franchises?
Probably because he's like a "reliable producer/writer" for the studios (aka 0 drama and does what he's told) like Kurtzman and Orci, doesn't hurt that he has Best Picture nominations under his belt for The Martian and Deadpool.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I'm convinced that the star trek film franchise has turned into The Producers in one way or another.