• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Super Mario Bros.’, ‘Pac-Man’ Top America’s List of Most-Wanted Video Game Films

Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. and Namco's Pac-Man top the list of desired video game adaptations, a new Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult poll finds.

From small screen offerings like Netflix's The Witcher and Showtime's upcoming Halo series to planned big screen blockbusters like Sony's Uncharted and Eli Roth's Borderlands, translating games from console to theater (home or cinema) has become the hot new trend. But which classic games do Americans most want to see get the Hollywood treatment?

Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. and Namco's Pac-Man top the list of desired video game adaptations, a new Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult poll finds. The former, which is far-and-away the best-selling video game franchise in history with more than 639 million units sold since the mushroom-gobbling titular plumber first debuted in 1981, has already been adapted multiple times in the past, most notably in the bizarre 1993 film Super Mario Bros. starring Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo; a project that brought in only $20.9 million at the box office and had very little connection to its source material.

Meanwhile, a Mario animated film is currently in the works from Nintendo and Despicable Me studio Illumination.

The nationally representative poll, conducted from Feb. 21-23 among 2,200 U.S. adults, found that 44 percent of respondents were "very" or "somewhat" interested in a new Mario film, the most of any other game franchise on the survey. Pac-Man and Mario Kart tied for the No. 2 spot with 37 percent of respondents notching the "very" or "somewhat" interested votes.

In all three cases, interest between female and male correspondents were nearly even, while African Americans were the most likely to mark "very interested" for Mario Bros., Pac-Man and Mario Kart (more than 34 percent in each case).

"There's a strong consumer appetite for film adaptations from video games, which spells good news for studios looking to tap into the billion-dollar gaming industry," Tyler Sinclair, Morning Consult's vp, tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Among both the general public and more dedicated gamers, our polling shows live-action movie adaptations most in demand include Super Mario Brothers, Pac-Man and Mario Kart."

Other game franchises that garnered the most interest for adaptation were Nintendo and Rare's Donkey Kong (36 percent "very" or "somewhat" interested); Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto (34 percent), Activision Blizzard's Call of Duty (32 percent), which currently has a film in the works; Nintendo's Legend of Zelda (31 percent) and Super Smash Bros. (28 percent); puzzle game Tetris (28 percent), which has also had a film adaptation in the works since 2016; Microsoft's Halo (26 percent); and Square Enix's Final Fantasy (24 percent).
morning_consult_game_adaptations_poll_chart.jpg

The implication of this chart is, a majority of people surveyed had no desire to see any of these adaptations happen.

The full poll data is here, so you too can see how 900+ Americans have no desire to see any video games come to the big-screen.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart should just be like Fast and Furious.

goofy and over the top to the max. But drop the Masculinity theme or whatnot (lack of a better word)

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I admit I'd prefer the 80s Pac Man series to be the base for a movie, but it would throw the fans of Ghostly Adventures a bone if they made a grand finale movie for that series.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these choices are baffling. I don't think the people wanted these as a movie so much as they were the first video games that they thought of under pressure

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart would actually be a great way to make a Nintendo movie and keep it lighthearted and fun. It's almost too much like bits and pieces of Wreck It Ralph 2 though.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Old peopled asked for the poll answered with the only video game they know, from 40 years ago. Hence so much Pac-Man.

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
But they were making a Mario Kart movie for realsies right? I wonder if they're ever gonna finish it

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Mortal Kombat missing the list with a movie from the 90s been a cult classic, an horrible sequel that still gets talked about this days, a Youtube movie that went viral and ended in a contract with said director to make 2 series and an upcoming reboot movie... makes me wonder who was even polled in the first place.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
There was a thread on Twitter recently about great pitches that went nowhere, and somebody talked about their idea for an Oregon Trail movie - where a city slicker goes out on the trail and immediately dies - only to realize he's stuck in a Groundhog Day-esque time loop. He keeps making new shots at the trail, dying in increasingly dramatic fashion before finally getting to Oregon.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I'm going to direct the Metroid movie myself. I'm working towards that as my goal as a filmmaker

metroid-samus-returns_2801712.jpg

53bc60cdae055321790c100617c8f212.jpg

euKcTo.jpg

samusaran.jpg

98c4dc912bd395b690f7d3f5b5822463.jpg

space-galaxy-planet-stars-wallpaper-preview.jpg

I'm being serious too

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I could see a Wacky Races Mario like mini-series working. Maybe a movie if it's like Wreck-it Ralph.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The world needs to know the story of Pac Man...

A CoD movie seems to be the easiest thing to make here.