Oct 25, 2017
Sony saw Microsoft slamming their dicks in the car door and said "Move over, I want some of that".

Can you just stop? Take the loss on this one. Maybe set up PSN in the countries that don't have it.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Review bombing should honestly resume. I thought restoring all the countries was a forgone conclusion, but this is seriously worrying.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I wondered in the previous thread whether or not Helldivers was going to be delisted now that the reason for the delisting was no longer there. Guess we have our answer.

Let's see if the gaming community is able to get its foot on the gas again or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think this is the best case scenario we can get out of this. Sony shouldn't be allowed to see revenue from those countries until they get their act together and enable PSN registration there. Hopefully it pushes them to do so.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
this genuinely makes no fucking sense, im so fucking baffled by everything that happened around this

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I mean their reply made it seem like they planned on figuring something out for the PSN thing on Helldivers not that they would keep selling it in countries they don't have PSN in....

It still sucks but it seems silly to keep selling it in countries where it will cause problems in the future no?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
No doubt there's a lot of legalese to unfurl, but are the users in the banned countries at least getting their money back?

I'm guessing not.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
No doubt there's a lot of legalese to unfurl, but are the users in the banned countries at least getting their money back?

I'm guessing not.

There's no PSN requirement for Helldivers 2 anymore, existing buyers in these countries/territories can still play the game so there isn't any reason to give them a refund.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the best case scenario we can get out of this. Sony shouldn't be allowed to see revenue from those countries until they get their act together and enable PSN registration there. Hopefully it pushes them to do so.

Or gee I don't know, call me crazy for this wild preposterous idea but...

...how bout not mandating PSN registration for those that don't want it??

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
I wonder one day if they open a PC PlayStation app store, how they gonna handle it.
Probably just ignore their ToS as they do on their console, the issue here is that those restrictions put the stores selling the games in jeopardy as they will be the ones taking the hit when people from those regions that are not making accounts from other countries start refunding the games. I hope that Sony is working on a solution for this mess that they created.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder one day if they open a PC PlayStation app store, how they gonna handle it.
Depends on if they're going to be stubbornly try to link PC to console PSN or if they're going to let PC do their own PSN thing i guess.

If they're really serious about PC i could see them trying to build something as a base that could be used in the future to migrate console PSN.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Probably just ignore their ToS as they do on their console, the issue here is that those restrictions put the stores selling the games in jeopardy as they will be the ones taking the hit when people from those regions that are not making accounts from other countries start refunding the games. I hope that Sony is working on a solution for this mess that they created.

I have no idea why Steam obeys to Sony's rules while Steam has less restrictions in general and people can overcome the blockade on consoles. Unless they force to link the local steam account for said country to be linked with its respective PSN account from same country, so it means you can't link your Steam account if you live in Canada with a French PSN account.

Feb 16, 2022
I wondered in the previous thread whether or not Helldivers was going to be delisted now that the reason for the delisting was no longer there. Guess we have our answer.

Let's see if the gaming community is able to get its foot on the gas again or not.
The vocal part of the gaming community only cared about not having to make PSN accounts. They don't really care about countries other than their own not being able to access the game. It was only an excuse to make Sony relent on the former criteria.

Ezroz

Apr 10, 2024
Im willing to bet with this situation that PSN requirement will still happen... just later. Basically when they figure no one is looking.
As for Ghosts... its a largely SP game. you could easily cut out the MP and still sell that game in those restricted places without any issue. They just don't want to.
But that's my guess now... that PSN requirement will come back just... later when they figure they can get away with it again.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Im willing to bet with this situation that PSN requirement will still happen... just later. Basically when they figure no one is looking.
As for Ghosts... its a largely SP game. you could easily cut out the MP and still sell that game in those restricted places without any issue. They just don't want to.
But that's my guess now... that PSN requirement will come back just... later when they figure they can get away with it again.
I mean they don't have to "get away with it" it's just going to be required period. Anyone with a problem can just choose not to buy it or refund the game on Day 1.

Ezroz

Apr 10, 2024
I mean they don't have to "get away with it" it's just going to be required period. Anyone with a problem can just choose not to buy it or refund the game on Day 1.
Getting away with it in this context is them telling you "Its not going forward" only to decide later that "We're doing it now"
its disingenuous to say they didn't announce it in a way to convince the audience that "Yeah, we're never gonna do it". Especially if the purchase restriction never gets lifted. Which I kinda assume it won't (unless folks start review bombing it again)

The bigger issue now is that folks in specific reigons cannot buy it, and were able to before. Nor can they buy a game that is mostly a single player game for the exact same reason. Allegedly GOW Ragnarok is about to get its PC announcement, and I'd argue its a safe bet that it will fall under the same purchase restrictions for no reason since it has no MP, not even a separate mode like Ghosts has.. but none whatsoever

Helmhold

Dec 7, 2022
I would 100% believe this is a steam thing instead of Sony. They are probably trying to stymie potential purchases that could result in refunds.

Ezroz

Apr 10, 2024
I would 100% believe this is a steam thing instead of Sony. They are probably trying to stymie potential purchases that could result in refunds.

When it first happened, maybe. Steam has stepped in before to save face on stuff. But now? I highly doubt it. Especially given that other games have been listed in the purchase restrictions.

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024

You're probably correct. They're just kicking the can down the road.

People really should have waited before changing their review back to a positive one.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I'm confused. If they're not going ahead with the PSN requirement, what reason could they have to keep the game unavailable in all those countries? I could understand if they needed a little time to re-enable sales in those places for some reason, but if they're actively adding more countries to the banlist, then I'm at a loss.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
so they changed up the PSN requirement but still have countries locked out based on that PSN availability? that's making no sense. if they aren't reenabling purchases, they've effectively done nothing but appease cases where it was more of an annoyance than an actual ability to play the game.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Doubt it. I already had my doubts about valve interferring the first time, but these consecutive changes made me sure that its Sony.

Valve only interferes rarely and its not frequent. Whatever is happening, Sony's doing it.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense for everyone to dump out bad news at the same time. You also see it with layoff announcements both in gaming and other industries. I guess it reduces how long your bad news stays in the news cycle.

While true in general, the timing of the Sony stuff is something that kinda popped up organically.

I've defnitely noticed Microsoft likes to get the bad news out of the way a couple of weeks before announcement time. I think EA/Ubi often tried to bury bad news during E3.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
I guess I can't say why these metrics are just so important, but I do know that literally losing money on purpose is pretty stupid from a business point of view.

MrMonkey42

Apr 27, 2024
I guess I can't say why these metrics are just so important, but I do know that literally losing money on purpose is pretty stupid from a business point of view.

Correct, but there would be a reason on why sony is not willing to enable PSN in those countries, like maybe due to some legal stuff or need to setup customer support to support those countries and things like that?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Correct, but there would be a reason on why sony is not willing to enable PSN in those countries, like maybe due to some legal stuff or need to setup customer support to support those countries and things like that?

They are literally only gaming company with account system that doesn't support those countries. For the love of God Nintendo supports them.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024

I'm sure it isn't easy to resolve overnight, but I would think that if it's such a significant hurdle that maybe you can just not bother and allow people to play without PSN accounts. If the goal was to make more money and hit higher player bases, then you can do that even if you don't get a cute bullet point I say. I find it perfectly fine if they want to require a PSN account since so many companies do so, but if you actually don't have the infrastructure to make it work everywhere you would launch your game, it would seem logical to not implement that requirement until you get that resolved first.

In the end money is king, not engagement or statistics, just seems really stupid all around. I get the feeling Sony did not expect Helldivers II to be the hit it has been, and regrets not having this ready for their metrics and are suffering severe sour grapes. They just can't handle that they didn't get every little element out of it, which is a bit pathetic, just take the compliment and fix it for the next game.

May 26, 2018
if you're not sony or microsoft, you're luigi here

image.gif

like dayum

Light Valyis

Apr 19, 2024
Doesn't delisting usually mean you can no longer play even if you already bought it? I have a friend in the region currently playing so not sure

Lukish

May 30, 2022
NI
I was wondering why they werent in there before. All my friends in baltic countries generally use uk accounts on psn, because they arent in there as option when registering