• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The greatest video game I've ever played since the first time I picked up a controller. A milestone of cinematic interactive art.

This is the game that made a owning a PlayStation 4 all worth it, anything else has just been a bonus. I don't care about its troubled development, because in the motha fuckin end, a masterpiece was delivered. I will not be convinced otherwise.

🙏🏽Naughty Gods🙏🏽

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest video game I've ever played since the first time I picked up a controller. A milestone of cinematic interactive art.

This is the game that made a owning a PlayStation 4 all worth it, anything else has just been a bonus. I don't care about its troubled development, because in the motha fuckin end, a masterpiece was delivered. I will not be convinced otherwise.

🙏🏽Naughty Gods🙏🏽
Agree with all of that, the game is a masterpiece.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Still one of the best endings I've seen in a game. The epilogue is something that I felt a lot of games that end their series could really use. It made it just feels more complete.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Damn, three years already? And Last of Us 2 still isn't out? ND FAIL

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What a game.

Didn't think 1-3 were anything special (The Lost Legacy wasn't great either) so 4 really surprised me.

One of the only games I think that is very perfection. Loved the slow start building up the story and boy did it deliver.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Loved UC4... One of the best entries in the series...

This right here is hands down my favorite scene in the game... the way Elena looks at Drake as he is explaining what happened, you can see in her facial expressions how much she still loves him and why she fell in love with him in the first place...

TomatoSoup

Oct 17, 2018
I still need to play the Lost Legacy but this game is only dethroned every so slightly by uncharted 2. Excellent game!

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Finished this game in essentially one sitting. Sun came up as I played the beach house chapter - very fun experience but ultimately forgettable.

Felt it needed to be a little more bombastic and giving away the game's biggest set piece in an E3 presentation was a little deflating for the final experience. It's a little too big as well, felt like ND included certain chapters for the sake of it.

Probably the biggest improvement over past Uncharted games were the combat arenas which felt very versatile. It's a shame that playing the game on anything above Hard reduces you to stale pop n shoot tactics.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game. I used to think it was a masterpiece at the time, but as time has passed I've come down on it a bit. That's relative cause it's still one of the best games of that year.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
God I love this game, even with some of the flaws mentioned above.

-So many great moments with Elena (especially the section in their house)
-Shooting felt better than ever, especially with the grappling hook addition
-Visuals are still breathtaking, especially facial animations

Ultimately, a great conclusion to the series (those feels with that epilogue too)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's an impressive game for Naughty Dog to have produced out of development turmoil. I found it unremarkable outside of its visuals, but an impressive game nonetheless.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, doesn't seem that long ago. The last couple years have flown by...

UC4 is easily my favorite Uncharted game, and is a Top 10/borderline Top 5 game of the generation for me. I never really was a fan of the combat in UC1-3, and always viewed enemy encounters as a thing I had to "put up with to see all of the good stuff". In UC4, largely because of the addition of the grappling hook and stealth elements - as well as having just really well designed combat arenas - I found the combat aspect of the game to now be every bit as good as the storytelling, presentation and set pieces. Combat sequences were now something that I was actively looking forward to, and found myself going back and replaying some of them over and over. It transformed a cover shooter into an experience where I truly felt like a classic action hero for the first time in a game. It's a hell of a game.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Tied for 4th best in the series for me. Didn't like the ongoing saga between Nate and Elena, the characters Sam and Nadine who are literally both a waste in the game and arguably, the character who could have been the best (Salazar) doesn't even exist. Add in the horrible pacing and it being way too long to where it's constantly dragging, I was happy when it was over.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
4 and LL honestly are the best in the series. Was hit by so many feels while being in complete awe due to the graphics when playing 4, huge congrats to both of the teams

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I beat it, and I loved it.

It's easily the best Uncharted game for me so far, with the sheer spectacle that this franchise has thrilled us for so many years balanced with the more grounded, emotional weight that The Last of Us delivered on not too long ago. Just as that game demonstrated new graphical heights on the PS3, this game does the same for the PS4, astounding me time after time with what's possible on this already aging technology (PS4K owners are in for a treat).

Yet for as virtuoso as Naughty Dog has been graphically, it's their gameplay that has received, rightfully or not, lots of flak over the year. Drake's Fortune was riddled with problems on that front, but as I have an endearment to that game I don't necessarily view Among Thieves as a huge leap over it. Yet I appreciate those comments, because it's easy to see that massive of a leap from Drake's Fortune to Among Thieves as there is to that classic and A Thief's End. No longer are we riddled with wimpy guns, extremely binary or even singular solutions to many scenarios, but instead revamped sound effects, aiming, feedback, and plenty other mechanics bolster an extremely strong set of combat encounters. These all add up to be a missing puzzle piece Naughty Dog almost desperately needed, not for their sake - their critical acclaim and pride is obviously something a sole internet post means nothing to - but for the sake of their games' longevity. Whereas the titles in the Nathan Drake Collection will be discussed as ranging from all ends on the gameplay front, A Thief's End is bound to be more pristine as time goes by.

This is also thanks to some extraordinary encounter design in combat. Drake's Fortune and particularly Among Thieves grasped at a few great moments regarding the vertical nature of this series, while Drake's Deception delivered a single memorable fight that was unfortunately placed in a filer section of the game. Uncharted 4 isn't content with showing potential. It thrives in greatness. The long development period for this game pays off with the incredible levels meticulously crafted for variability. It would be ill conceived to describe them as sandboxes; they're more like playgrounds, where you can stealth your way through a few baddies, get spotted, swing on a rope, punch a dude in the face, grab his gun, shoot some people, lurk back in the grass out of the line of sight, and so on. Yet this is no guaranteed order - oftentimes it's not required to kill anyone at all. The stealth is fairly vanilla, relying on basic line of sight tricks and attention gauges on the enemies - their AI is the least impressive during these phases - but it is extremely difficult to pull off (on Hard) at times because of the number of enemies in the large levels you're given. You are gonna get spotted, which is why the way levels are layered with two, three, even four layers, some of which may be water or other variables, allows for all sorts of dynamic gameplay. You won't be standing in one spot, you won't be cover shooting all the time, just because the nature of this game is to get you moving across this ensemble of great encounter designs.

It feels like some sort of magic, the way that Naughty Dog continuously one-upped these encounters one after another, until eventually the ending started to come to. Before that though, there's a lot more to digest than just the way Drake kills hundreds of people. For starters, the game itself is more layered, having chapters that are devoted to the act of exploration. Yes, we've seen this before, but this isn't Naughty Dog's hand-holding definition of exploration, but a more freeform method of exploring your surroundings, gathering your bearings, and pacing the adventure. Moments of sudden discovery, basically by default thanks to the story, still exit. Stairs are still going to be hidden in the ground as the crew discovers this one hint at a time. But when Drake, and thus the player, is allowed to traverse small islands a la Assassin's Creed: Black Flag or drive around large plains discovering clues, there's a certain respect felt that the mentality of a railroad-driven narrative isn't priority; rather, the ability to set your own pace and the genuine satisfaction of finding out a location on your own is. Nothing here is drastic because ultimately this is still an Uncharted game, where the cacophony of gunfire and grenades echo long after they end. But Naughty Dog shows that you don't need to be killing something to be having fun, nor does something need to explode or a stupidly easy puzzle be solved for them to move a story along for the fourth time. They set out to achieve some variety, and they did it very well in Uncharted 4.

The other small bits of variety we've seen in the past, the puzzles and climbing, have both been improved upon. The puzzles are fewer in number, yet higher in quality, though no Uncharted prior set the bar there that high. You won't be taxed mentally, but at least you feel tested. The climbing is unfortunately the most routine part of the game, mostly hitting par for the series while occasionally challenging me to explore alternate paths. I enjoyed the views it seems only Naughty Dog's creative minds deliver, now on the PS4, but getting there is relatively standard fair, now mixed in with some crate sections inspired by The Last of Us. You do get the new hook in this game, which brings up a HUGE amount of questions for the past game (a topic for later), but this adds more non-linear function to the combat. In traversal, it's more of all-or-nothing fair; either you need it or you don't. The jarring way Naughty Dog's handholds blatantly stick out in otherwise natural environments is still here, but this is a relatively petty complaint that I'm not dwelling on.

Level sizes in general has increased, and while it's not necessarily a good thing in most games, capable hands here have made sure that they are fleshed out by both gameplay, as mentioned above, and story. I really liked the story of A Thief's End, cliches and all, with backstories being detailed and relationships being tested and nurtured very naturally. The banter, and the way it's so natural, is brilliant, quite second to none in anything I've ever played. We easily avoided another Drake's Deception, where large set pieces came for the sake of being large set pieces and important plot points suddenly became trite, while also maintaining the heart that the first two games brought. When you're exploring these larger levels, you're discovering more, you're tumbling more, you're achieving and losing more, and the characters are all written to reflect this. It's more about the journey than the destination than ever before, with focused events all taking precedence over whatever MacGuffin is at the end. While I'll wait for a later period to discuss the story, the destination is indeed quite Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann, playing with your expectations throughout. I was nervous about the ending as the later chapters popped up, but I was confident in their ability for this to a thief's end, and I think they delivered. Very much so.

The set pieces here will linger in my memory in a positive light only matched, if matched at all, by Among Thieve's best sections, the characters and their genuine sense of camaraderie and sanguine natures in the thick of things give me the vibes I loved in Drake's Fortune, the exploration showed to me that the ideas brought up by Golden Abyss weren't just a proxy of the Vita's inputs, and for what it's worth, we avoided and even helped flesh out the worse parts of Uncharted 3.

Because it has to be said, it's not a perfect game, with the narrative winding down to a strange pace with uneven ideas before a beautiful epilogue. Some of the chapters will certainly be a pain on Crushing, and the cinematic walking and climbing, something I didn't mind, will definitely irk some. I also wish there was a little less fat on the less bombastic parts at times, just because they lead to intense, unique moments that are shining aspects of the game. It is, however, one of the best games I have ever played, capable of delivering on so many fronts that I didn't know Naughty Dog was capable of.

A new bar has been raised, and a saga has concluded. And I was damn happy to be part of it.

Jan 29, 2018
I loved it, but I can see why you'd need to brace yourself for the pacing going in.

Lost Legacy is a tighter experience though.

Edit: I never figured out if there's a correct way to deal with the exploding mummies though.

k4mon

Oct 28, 2017
Wrocław / Poland
Oh, so I bought my PS4 three years ago ;)

I loved the game when I played it three years ago, the graphics and action scenes were jaw dropping.
My fiancee is currently playing through it and the issues with pacing are much more visible to me now. The beginning of the game has so many cutscenes!

Also, The Lost Legacy is an even better game.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in the 'best in the series' camp. Easily one of the best games this generation.

I think the people saying the game has bad pacing were just people being impatient with the first 4 hours of the game.

The beginning of the game was deliberate, it wasn't slow. There's a difference.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hadn't played the first 3 games since UC3 got released when I played UC4 but I really really didn't like it.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Zbs7bxO.gif

Much love to U4 and TLL, what great games those two are.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in the 'best in the series' camp. Easily one of the best games this generation.

I think the people saying the game has bad pacing are just confusing the term deliberate and slow.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
A genuinely boring game. I don't know why they moved away from Indiana Jones towards lame, po-faced family drama.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty weird coincidence with the game coming in for me today through the mail. I bought it primarily for the steelbook, but I loved the first two games and heard a lot of good things about this entry, so looks like I better hope on it after I finish Days Gone.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for Naughty Dog to dive back into this action adventure genre again after TLOU2.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018

I think the people saying the game has bad pacing were just people being impatient with the first 4 hours of the game.

The beginning of the game was deliberate, it wasn't slow. There's a difference.
Why can't deliberately slow be a negative to people?

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I was never a fan of the old Uncharted games but his one is among my games of this generation.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
From all the Uncharted games I loved this one the most by far. The story feels so well directed and the larger focus on the already established characters. But I haven't cared much for the setpieces and gameplay so I might value other things