Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Evidence of people from rich countries fucking over others yet again. Now people that are really from there have to pay much more

What I can say is that we saw a huge increase in sales in your countries last year, but no increase in the number of players. Something like 85% of sales coming "from Argentina and Turkey" seem to be coming from people playing in other countries - people who are chasing the lowest possible price on Steam. This is apparently a widespread problem on Steam, which is why Steam is recommending an especially large increase in your regional prices.

This is not an easy decision, but we do agree with it - the alternative is basically encouraging people to abuse the system and pay far less for our games than we know they're worth. Thanks very much for understanding.

store.steampowered.com

Spiritfarer®: Farewell Edition - Regional Price Update - Steam News

Hey everyone, Today, we're approving and locking in Steam's latest regional price recommendations on our games. Some of these new prices are a big change (check out the full list here), so I want to give a little context. For those who are unaware, Steam doesn't simply use exchange rates to set...

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I am always mad when developers and/or publishers feel that the need to punish the guilty somehow justifies screwing over the innocent as well.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
fucking hell, they doubled the price in my region, thanks a lot regional abusers!

This shit actually stops me buying indie games day one.

Last edited:

Seraphs

Banned
Sep 22, 2022
User Banned (Permanent): Fascist rhetoric, previous ban for dismissing concerns of bigotry
This is what happen when your country have 100% inflation, you currency is worth nothing and the president is a communist

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
isnt it a chore to bypass regions on steam accounts ? or are people buying regional keys like people do for game pass on here

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
fuck the leeches,
also how is it that devs can tell the physical location but steam can't

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You know this isnt working anymore? You must have an argentine Credit card. You cant buy gift card, you cant gift games.

Here in Brazil people are buying argentine steam accounts sold by argentines

If 85% are regional abusers of course it's possible, the devs themselves just said it is

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
and people here did / do all the time too, by the way. It's incredibly lame. The prices are low in some regions for a reason.

Schmitz

Jan 3, 2023
Steam needs to punish these people more. But it would also recquire people to review wrong flags.
Steam recommending to increase prices says all about their willingnes to tackle the issue.

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking as a developer (who has absolutely taken advantage of regional pricing), I wonder how many of those sales would not have occurred at all if the customer was unable to buy at a "discounted" rate?

Piracy is one thing, but I'd prefer to be given at least some money by my players rather than none.

darkkinder

Oct 28, 2020
No, this is what happens when people abuse regional pricing to save $10

I think the problem is more than That. If people are buying in this countries (if it is possible yet on steam), because of different reasons (and I say this because we can't know 100% the reason of every person who buys from another country), the problem it is really not that simple to just blame them.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This is what happen when your country have 100% inflation, you currency is worth nothing and the president is a communist
Aren't you the same one that got upset at Bolsonaro being called fascist?

image.png

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
User banned (3 days): Advocating regional price abuse
I can't get mad at this really.
Too lazy to do this buy hey you do you and save your cash!

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of watching people even here talk about doing this, or complain when they can't anymore. Purchase shit in your own region and stop ruining pricing that is supposed to help regions who need it.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking as a developer (who has absolutely taken advantage of regional pricing), I wonder how many of those sales would not have occurred at all if the customer was unable to buy at a "discounted" rate?

Piracy is one thing, but I'd prefer to be given at least some money by my players rather than none.

The people I know that do this would definitely be buying anyway. Anecdotal of course and obviously their gaming budget tops out at some point.

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, because Turkey's Erdogan is definitely a communist (</s>, obviously).

Obviously there's a lot to be said about bad economic policy and recessions worsened by the COVID-19 pandemic, but implying that communism is the real cause of bad actors abusing regional pricing or purchasing Argentinian Steam accounts or whatever else is oversimplifying the situation to the extreme.

image.png

Yikes. I typically don't like searching through someone's post history, but the right-wing apologism here is something else. I also know that this sort of debate should really go in Off-Topic, but fuck Bolsonaro and anyone who defends him. Fucking monster.

Mar 11, 2020
I would like to know actual number stats rather than percentages. This feels like the whole piracy debate as in do you think people buying it after going through all those hoops would actually buy it full price? I highly doubt it and i highly doubt this is worth fucking over innocent people.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I personally would never do this, but let's not pretend that these "rich" counties don't have millions and millions of poor people too. Half my friends struggle to pay rent.

Oct 26, 2017
The people I know that do this would definitely be buying anyway. Anecdotal of course and obviously their gaming budget tops out at some point.

There undoubtedly would be some, but I feel it's probably similar to steam sales etc. plenty of people could afford to take a "full price" hit, but more wouldn't be willing to take a chance on something for full price.

But anyway, if/when I got round to releasing my own indie title, I'd obviously prefer people paid full price, but I'm also not going to complain about regional pricing if the alternative is that they don't play (or pay) at all.

Also, I'd like to see the overall sales figures breakdown. It may be that 85% of people buying in those regions are illegitimate, but what's the overall percentage of sales that comes from that region?

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
The game is constantly on sale from official stores for dirt cheap, is it really worth possibly getting your Steam account banned this way just to pay 0.50€ instead of 3€? Come on, man.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Feels pretty exploitative to take advantage of weaker currencies of poorer countries like that. It sucks because it results in steeper prices in those territories for people living there, too.
What? Lula isn't really a communist so this is an odd remark--

image.png
Ohhh okay that makes sense

JCG

Oct 25, 2017

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry, publishers already have a solution for this, raising the price to completely brutal impractical xenophobic levels.

image.png

Yes, this 2016 game now cost the same as fucking Elden Ring.

image.png

Thanks for all the little privileged first world FUCKS that need to (as always) take advantage from poor countries while at the same time goes online to say racist and xenophobic shit about them, you just destroyed the gaming market for LATAM, but i guess that's mission accomplished right?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
They can pressure Steam to make cross-regional purchases even more difficult without making their games unreasonably expensive where they shouldn't be.
Sure, but that's a overall problem, the short term fix is to adjust prices.

Until steam fixes the cross-region purchases, then I don't blame them.

Oct 27, 2017
Selfish People from rich countries screwing over people... Again.

Regional prices are there for a reason. Disgusting.
Stupid ass post. You should go educate yourself before talking about something you don't understand.

Go read some books.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I personally would never do this, but let's not pretend that these "rich" counties don't have millions and millions of poor people too. Half my friends struggle to pay rent.

That doesn't give folks the right to take advantage of others who are even in worse off situations, good grief.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Platorm holders should crack down even more on regional changes

... are you affected by this?

People from entire countries are getting priced out of gaming so some can "save their cash"
At the end of the day people really only care about how much they are spending. Someone in another country getting priced out does not even register.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
What is this forums stance on this? Imo regional price abuse should be treated the same as piracy.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Platorm holders should crack down even more on regional changes

... are you affected by this?

People from entire countries are getting priced out of gaming so some can "save their cash"
In Morocco yes, in Canada not so much, but now it ends up costing more than the US store since the region pricing change.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

1. It is videogames. They are not a necessity. They can wait.
2. You have been able to get Spiritfarer for less then 5$ through regional keyshops.

This is just people wanting to be as cheap as possible and being okay with exploiting poorer countries.

Sangral