• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 11, 2020
Is that any better? Are you talking about key resellers? I don't quite understand how it works but I always thought they were either keys bought at lower prices from other countries or keys that were somehow obtained in bulk at a low price and then could be sold by the reseller at a low price. It does not seem ethical to me(even if it's legal), because you're robbing the developer of a direct sale by buying a resold key. If there is zero chance you would have bought from a normal store that the publisher is selling on then I guess no harm done to them.
Imo those are worse. Most of those sites the ones that get keys from rando strangers are people buying them with stolen credit cards and reselling to launder legit money from it

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
I see this all the time in my line of work. People abuse regional pricing for absolutely everything. You should have seen the absolute meltdown that happened backstage at Blizzard when the Ruble became unworkable -- people by the thousands ticketing in because they suddenly can't pay for their underpriced subscriptions and WoW Tokens and they're actually not in Russia at all, but like Canada or the US or some shit.

This was rampant -- this is rampant.

This is what happen when your country have 100% inflation, you currency is worth nothing and the president is a communist

Moreso this is what happens when 85% of sales for a specific product come from people who want to abuse its regional pricing to pay a little less for their luxury entertainment that most of them are very likely to be able to afford anyway.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
And that's not the only thing abused as hell in Turkey. When Turkish lira took a deep dive, all the supermarkets in the western shores were raided by Greeks, Bulgarians and Romanians. To the point where local folk had trouble finding anything to eat. Greeks crashed the house market in Aegean cities and that happened way too fast because the government actually encourages foreign people to buy real estate in Turkey.

Only way to solve this problem is fixing the inflation rate in Turkey. By the looks of things, it looks more and more impossible.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Yes, clearly.

Anyways, for the topic at hand regional price is slowly being a thing of the past. New games from big publishers go full international price
If its any consolation, some of the more... aggressive pubs seem to have walked things back somewhat, and some are intentionally undercutting the big players to make their games more attractive.

Guys, trying to sell at US price parity on STEAM , of all places, won't make your net sales go up. People in less well-off regions aren't magically going to earn more money to pay for your pricier games, theyre either going to wait for a deep sale (at which point theres a big chance another, more appealing game gets bought instead) or just pirate it outright when the crack drops.

If you dont agree with Valve's recommended regional pricing, sure, raise the price a bit. If your game has got strong appeal, it's still gonna sell. But put some fucking thought into it instead of matching the US price and calling it a day.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Something tells me the people abusing regional pricing would probably just pirate the games if they couldn't do it anymore. Shitty situation, but I don't think punishing the people that actually live in those countries is the answer.

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
Something tells me the people abusing regional pricing would probably just pirate the games if they couldn't do it anymore. Shitty situation, but I don't think punishing the people that actually live in those countries is the answer.

I think it's the opposite. If you can pirate you would. Abusing regional pricing means you want to pay 'legitimately" either for multiplayer, achievements, or because you've fooled yourself into thinking it's ok. In which case you have an incentive to get a non-pirated version of the game. If you were sympathetic to pirating it anyways, it seems more straightforward to just do that from the beginning rather than pay real money for a whole other account or regional version of the game.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
APAC pricing is kinda fucked too.Devs/Publishers need to shoulder the blame too if they've increased prices.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the opposite. If you can pirate you would. Abusing regional pricing means you want to pay 'legitimately" either for multiplayer, achievements, or because you've fooled yourself into thinking it's ok. In which case you have an incentive to get a non-pirated version of the game. If you were sympathetic to pirating it anyways, it seems more straightforward to just do that from the beginning rather than pay real money for a whole other account or regional version of the game.

I haven't pirated games in a long long time, but unless it's gotten significantly easier, it's still gonna be much simpler to just buy a regional account.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't pirated games in a long long time, but unless it's gotten significantly easier, it's still gonna be much simpler to just buy a regional account.

Can't talk for console, but on PC at least, it's a lot easier to pirate something than it is to region switch (at least when it comes to Steam). And yes, people here will end up going back to piracy, since the prices pubs are asking for their games nowadays are kinda crazy, especially when considering the extra taxes we pay on top of them.

Unrelated to your post, but related to the thread. Congrats to all the people who openly bragged about region switching to Argentina! Now thanks to your antics we get to pay whatever crazy price pubs decide to stick us with, plus our own +100% taxes, yay!

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
I have heard of this happening with G2A, but CDKeys as well?

I don't know man, but just think about it. CDKeys has some incredibly cheap keys. Where do you think they come from? They gotta be either buying from other regions or other individuals. And selling them to individuals in wealthier countries. Regardless of the specifics, one way or another the developer is losing out because you bought a 50+ dollar game for 5-10 dollars.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man, but just think about it. CDKeys has some incredibly cheap keys. Where do you think they come from? They gotta be either buying from other regions or other individuals. And selling them to individuals in wealthier countries. Regardless of the specifics, one way or another the developer is losing out because you bought a 50+ dollar game for 5-10 dollars.

They're talking specifically about stolen credit cards though. We know CDKeys are grey region, the other part doesn't appear to be true.

breander

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): Advocating regional price abuse with false equivalence
Don't often these same developers and publishers regularly abuse the global market to hire cheap contractors to make these games. But when consumers attempt to use the same system they are now worse than pirates?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I have heard of this happening with G2A, but CDKeys as well?
CDKeys only deals with legitimate keys, never ones that are bought with stolen credit cards, etc. That's why CDKeys prices have skyrocketed compared to what games used to be priced on it like 10+ years ago. New games might be say $45 instead of $50 from sites like GMG or Game Billet that get their keys from the actual publisher. The reason CDKeys is Grey market is because they don't source their keys direct from the publisher, but at the same time they don't get their keys from people that are potentially selling stolen keys like user based marketplace keyshops do.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Hot UK deals is rife with posts about cheap PS games on the Turkey PSN store. I've never bothered with it myself but it seems pretty popular.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Don't often these same developers and publishers regularly abuse the global market to hire cheap contractors to make these games. But when consumers attempt to use the same system they are now worse than pirates?

this is always a hilarious line of reasoning because it's a flawed analogy on top of being a misleading one

people from high income and low income countries contributing to a game and getting paid relative to their cost of living -> people from high income and low income countries buying games relative to their cost of living

the suggestion that people from high income countries deserve to get games for lower prices because that's what it's sold for over there is more analogous to developers paying people in high income countries what people in low income countries make for a salary

which obviously isn't happening

also definitely enjoying when our entire game industry workforce is summarized as 'cheap contractors'. get over yourself

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when we'd see the impact from grey market keys.

It's a good reason to not ever patronize those stores, but I'd imagine it's a losing fight from a market perspective.

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020

This hurts indie game developers more than big publishers. If an indie game developer wants to hire the services of someone in another country for some work on their game, is that not their right? Buying a key from another region's market is paying for something that wasn't meant to be sold to you, it's not the same. You are not entitled to the fruits of someone's labor without paying for it. The modern digital age has made this far easier and more prevalent. Decades ago you would have to travel to another country to pick up cheap goods from there, and they were real goods on a shelf. You are buying a digital copy which can be reproduced infinitely at no cost, it takes no inventory space, a store did not pay the publisher for the item to stock its shelf. It is totally different and abuseable.

This is just feel-good anti-corporate coping that someone uses to morally justify themselves doing anything they can to save a buck on their luxury hobby

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Prices go so low with sales (Spiritfarer has gone down to 5 USD and below) that I don't understand why people even do this at all.

Either buy the game at full price in your actual region or wait for it to go on sale. Consumers have so many great options when buying games on PC that there's really no reason to do this.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
I am always mad when developers and/or publishers feel that the need to punish the guilty somehow justifies screwing over the innocent as well.
I don't think this is about PUNISHING anyone, it is about getting paid for their software enough money that they can continue making more software. Because the regional pricing was being taken advantage of, the price has been raised. Anyone innocent that is being negatively impacted has only the bad actors to blame, the creators of the software tried to be fair and were taken advantage of.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): False equivalence, downplaying regional price abuse over a series of posts.
Whole lot of judgmental, entitled folks in here casting blanket judgements on people they don't know, with stories they don't know. Fucking shameful. Interesting how the XBL Gamepass Ultimate thread doesn't have this same gate keeping when people are openly talking about abusing regional pricing there. But that's Era - inconsistently applied principles that only matter when the narrative fits.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
My country isn't recognized in steam so I have to use regional stuff. Minimum wages are lower than turkey here so I don't really feel bad about it.
It's either that or piracy and trust me when I say the recent increase in the prices are making a lot of people here to just pirate stuff.
So the claim that all of the people that don't live in the said country are regional pricing abusers is completely false.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I typically don't like searching through someone's post history, but the right-wing apologism here is something else. I also know that this sort of debate should really go in Off-Topic, but fuck Bolsonaro and anyone who defends him. Fucking monster.
It's what these pos/facists usually say, so I think a search on his post history was warranted.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Whole lot of judgmental, entitled folks in here casting blanket judgements on people they don't know, with stories they don't know. Fucking shameful. Interesting how the XBL Gamepass Ultimate thread doesn't have this same gate keeping when people are openly talking about abusing regional pricing there. But that's Era - inconsistently applied principles that only matter when the narrative fits.

There are definitely a lot of cases of people who abuse regional pricing because they otherwise would never have access to games or game services, etc, because they genuinely can't afford them. I don't think anyone, even developers, mind that very much. Certainly publishers do but fuck publishers.

However, those are a very very small minority of that specific demographic of players. Obviously you'd have to take my word for it and that's worth little to nothing, but for what it's worth, most of the players I caught abusing Russian regional pricing in my work, were spending hundreds a month on other services for the game anyway. Some of them, though admitedly not most, I even caught engaging in real-money trading of in-game currency through external sites on top of the money they already spend on the game. They are not players of little means.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Back when Brazil PS+ keys worked on NA PSN ($20-30 for yearly), presumably they would just pay people in the regions to hoard cards since I did not hear about stolen credit cards. I think PS+ was the only thing I bought from these places but that is gone now.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
It really isn't. But I'm not going to explain the methodology because I don't support the practice.

Do they care more about region locked games. I'd love to get the other PC SRW releases but I recall VPNs being against TOS and didn't want to risk losing my 600+ game steam account from when steam first launched.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Don't even need VPN for something like PSN or Xbox Live. Xbox makes it insanely easy to simply switch the store. Your account isn't even tied to a region on Xbox One/Series consoles.
You do need to VPN to Argentina for Xbox. Every eBay code seller says this.

Brazil Xbox Live codes are region locked to Brazilian accounts. You can see this on sites selling gift cards from around the world.

Rest of the world afaik, yeah, no restrictions.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
From 12,5 TL (lowest) to 280 TL ?! Great job abusers , valve and this company. Just to give some information, for the last few years when we had regional pricing in Turkey lots of new gamers especially young ones built up their steam libraries and really went into pc gaming "legally" now with these developments we are again back to piracy days once more ... Ain't no way people would pay 10 to 20 times to any game. (of course high income still exists to a minority but they are just that, a minor part of the population.)

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

"Entitled" to what? Fair regional pricing that shouldn't be abused? Yes they are.

And it's the same for Game Pass and any other service

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like you're doing the same, but whatever.

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
As a player living in Turkey, I feel sorry for this situation. I had to purchase a one-month EA Pro subscription to play Dead Space Remake. Game prices are increasing day by day in the country. The prices of some games on the Steam platform have increased exponentially.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't give folks the right to take advantage of others who are even in worse off situations, good grief.

Not a fair characterization.

Parts of the United States are unbelievably bad. Ask Black folks living in Flint, Michigan how it feels having lead in the water.

The wealth stratification in the US is the worst it has ever been. Some people are fabulously, luxuriously comfortable. Many, many more are poor, desperate, starving, one medical bill away from homelessness and ruin.

So if they try to get a game cheaper, they're taking advantage of other people?

This is a complex topic, and there are absolutely rich people gaming the system and ruining it for everyone. But don't assume that just because someone is from a rich country they have it better. The depths of squalor and poverty in the US would truly shock you.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Whatever Steam is doing to stop this is clearly not working and I don't think raising prices is the answer. It sucks for people in those regions and I bet once every region pricing has gotten to no better than a hard conversion from USD to local currency those cheap bastards will just pirate the game instead.

lazerface66

Jan 9, 2018
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Publishers are greedy fucks. Increasing prices in countries with lower income is never about punishing those that game the system, it's about bigger profit margins. It's just another means to justify being greedy.

Valkyria

Oct 26, 2017
This is what happen when your country have 100% inflation, you currency is worth nothing and the president is a communist
Turkey and Argentina communists presidents.

The world according to an American. You are all brainwashed to the bone. Keep on enjoying your techno feudal regime that you call "Democracy".

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this works as they expect it to work. These people go to those methods because that's what they''re willing to pay. I don't think they're going to pay more just because you get rid of those circumnventions. Kinda like piracy. If people pirate it's because they're not willing to pay in the first place.

And by increasing the prices you're only hurting the locals from those countries.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Turkey and Argentina communists presidents.

The world according to an American. You are all brainwashed to the bone. Keep on enjoying your techno feudal regime that you call "Democracy".
The poster you're quoting is from Brazil. Congratulations.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have "people playing themselves" in my bingo card for this thread.

Locking down regions is going to be a necessity moving forward so prices don't go up in other regions, limiting account regional changes per year and enforcing local payment options.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't you the same one that got upset at Bolsonaro being called fascist?

image.png

I mean... They used the word "communist" unironically, so you know what to expect.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
You know this isnt working anymore? You must have an argentine Credit card. You cant buy gift card, you cant gift games.

Here in Brazil people are buying argentine steam accounts sold by argentines
As many users post time and time again, there are several loopholes still active. An easy youtube search yields many totorials. We lost regional pricing thanks to this, and many users here don't even care. Many of my friends stopped buying on steam and went back to piracy.