Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I loveeee Tim Rogers stuff and was excited to hear his thoughts on the Remake. It's a longgggg video so I'm kind of skipping around to parts before I sit and listen to the entire thing.

I laughed when he name dropped Clerith. Tim always has the best taste.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect video games don't need a hard mode... or an easy mode. They are perfect.

I disagree with that, but I always play on normal anyway.

Listai

50Ā¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I love Tim's work so despite really disliking Remake I'll definitely give this a watch once its up in better quality.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I never understood these long reviews. If they cannot get their message across, if they even have a point to their video at all, in less than an hour let alone 3 then maybe they are just bad writers. Same with that other guy that makes 4 hour "reviews"

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Good video. I don't agree with everything he says, specifically about the battle system and hard mode. Though he does raise a lot of good points, and I agree with his overall feelings. Though, I wish people would stop talking about Nomura as if he's the sole creator of this game and give all the other directors and writers credit too.

I never understood these long reviews. If they cannot get their message across, if they even have a point to their video at all, in less than an hour let alone 3 then maybe they are just bad writers. Same with that other guy that makes 4 hour "reviews"

A video doesn't always exist solely to get across "a point". Tim Rogers definitely has a strong personality and way of speaking, and fans of his videos (myself included), enjoy the mixture of his type of story-telling in videos and hyper-detailed focus on various elements. No other video is going to both talk about how the people in his dorm room reacted to the original FFVII and exactly how many minutes of the Remake is spent climbing ladders.

Listai

50Ā¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood these long reviews. If they cannot get their message across, if they even have a point to their video at all, in less than an hour let alone 3 then maybe they are just bad writers? Same with that other guy that makes 4 hour "reviews"

They're video essays exploring a topic.

The fact that you're equating economy with quality when it comes to writing says you're probably not much of a critic yourself.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
This is what an actual critique is. What a real review is. Not your dumb numbered tech rundown good/bad fluff piece. I'll get through it in chunks this week so I can think on it.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The long videos are good because they function, for me, more like an entertaining essay. His videos have perspective and personality, while offering artistic criticism--which is important because the existence of criticism does a lot of work in establishing a medium as a "real" art. A lot of video game reviews feel like they are assessments. By that I mean they read like disembodied voices spending half their time telling you what a game consists of and the other half of the time rationalizing why it is good or bad in a way that most avid game players could probably have been surmised from preview footage. I like Tim's stuff because 1. He'll probably teach me something I didn't know before and, 2. It's just a guy talking about a thing he likes. The pretense of--what we come to expect as--a "review," isn't there and instead he writes in a way that matches his character's personality. These aren't reviews for people wondering if they should buy FF7, they are reviews of a piece of art through a specific perspective.

Cipher

Oct 27, 2017

Hard disagree, and the conflation of value being based around how quickly a "message" is presented is you playing yourself out of thoughtful engagement in a topic. That's not to say you have to like this long form of video, but a review isn't solely to evaluate a market value of something, it's a personal perspective. Tim has a unique perspective at that, which is highlighted throughout the entirety of the video and showcases more of the essayistic quality of criticism he's interested in. What do you say about multiple books on the same topic with varying lengths? Are certain ones worse solely because it doesn't meet some arbitrary length standard?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
25 minutes in so far, it's pretty spectacular. I love hearing his personal anecdotes about the lead-up to the remake, his long journey to finally confronting this game.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
3 hours? Do they even understand the concept of "review"?

And

Yeah if he has 3 hours of stuff to say but misses the obvious in your face textures everyone is talking about for a reason and "didn't once cry out for a patch" then yeah. Hard skip.

you weren't planning on watching any of it in the first place.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone who is like "lol 3 hours!? Nobody wants 3 hour reviews!" should consider that his Patreon was funded on that very premise

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I need to hurry up and finish this game so that I can watch this review. I'm not even joking when I say that. LOL

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The long videos are good because they function, for me, more like an entertaining essay. His videos have perspective and personality, while offering artistic criticism--which is important because the existence of criticism does a lot of work in establishing a medium as a "real" art. A lot of video game reviews feel like they are assessments. By that I mean they read like disembodied voices spending half their time telling you what a game consists of and the other half of the time rationalizing why it is good or bad in a way that most avid game players could probably have been surmised from preview footage. I like Tim's stuff because 1. He'll probably teach me something I didn't know before and, 2. It's just a guy talking about a thing he likes. The pretense of--what we come to expect as--a "review," isn't there and instead he writes in a way that matches his character's personality. These aren't reviews for people wondering if they should buy FF7, they are reviews of a piece of art through a specific perspective.

The point of the video is to literally listen to him speak. He has a very unique writing style. You won't find any review like this on the internet. Some people won't like it, and it's fine, but for people who it resonates with (like yourself and myself), it's a breath of fresh air

May 24, 2019

What's the point of 800 page novels when comic books are 20?

Agreed. These epic 3 he plus reviews people are doing about all kinds of things seems incredibly self indulgent most of the time.

The indulgence is the fun.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Fell asleep listening to this and I had the weirdest dreams.

Will listen to it after work instead.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

What do you mean by "their message?" Is there one interesting thing to relay per game or something?

The length of many OTs on this very site are proof people enjoy talking about games for longer than 3 hours.

May 24, 2019
Funny people saying he needs to edit. Even without watching it yet, I guarantee he's spent more time and effort refining this than any mainstream video review/script in existence.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I tried, this is insufferable haha, it's too bad he doesn't speak in a more, I dunno, normal way as opposed to doing a character. I would however read the transcript.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed, although I'm not sure what's worse - someone who wants to watch a 3 hour game review or someone who thinks other people want to watch their 3 hour game review.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
cool, I'll watch this sometime during the week when I'm catching up with my other weekly video essays.

Agreed, although I'm not sure what's worse - someone who wants to watch a 3 hour game review or someone who thinks other people want to watch their 3 hour game review.

these kinds of longform video essays usually have more to say about a game than "haha its good ok buy product now". Their length is a testament to their depth and willingness to critique and interface, not some side-effect of a bloated approach or inexperienced writer, at least in most cases.

Also, not everyone watching these spends 3 hours straight glued to the screen. I usually listen to these while I work. It's a nice experience, and not really a waste of time for the insight gained? especially coming from an excellent writer like Noah Caldwell Gervais or the above Rogers. It's no different than listening to a podcast or talk radio.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't consume or talk about anything in units of time longer than a tiktok. 3 hours! surely no one can have a conversation about something that goes for 3 hours

May 24, 2019
I look forward to the 15 hour full Remake review when Tim's 50.

edit: He lays out his review philosophy and method in the first ten minutes. Try watching the video.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Funny people saying he needs to edit. Even without watching it yet, I guarantee he's spent more time and effort refining this than any mainstream video review/script in existence.

He even says in the video he'd like to use the Patreon success to hire on two editors. Anyone thinking all of this won't be long is kidding themselves. This has been Tim for 15+ years.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
A 3 hours video from Tim Rogers talking about FFVII remake sounds like great stuff to watch, is there any padding in it tho?

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was a trip. lmao

Not sure I'm going to watch another one of these. Maybe. We'll see.

I wonder how many thumbs ups there will be in FFVIIR-2....

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
You were so enamored by the game, possibly nostalgic to boot in these troubling times, you did not care about playing a beta. And thats fine.

Other people see the Early PS3 quality enviroments, and overly linear level design and overbloated story and think, damn, I hope the sequel upgrades the engine cause theres something truly special here.
This comes off as so condescending. Like come the fuck on.

Oct 25, 2017
No one else Will tell you precisely how long you spend climbing ladders, walking across beams, or holding trying to open doors in a videogame

aka how much of your time a videogame wastes.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I thought when I read someone made a 3hr video review of a game.
no need to keep embarrassing yourself by trying to knock down someones hard work. its always clear when people cant comprehend the idea of making something. your comments are not even critiques, theyre just garbage