Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-the-industry-better-but-gamers-dont-see-that

I've quoted a bit of the article below.

"A critical challenge from the beginning has been looking at projects on Steam and asking how we can achieve those levels of success on our store," he says. "Metro Exodus far exceeded even Steam projections in sales, and this really proves that it's about the games, not about the stores."
But for some in the PC gaming community, it is very much about the stores. Metro Exodus' exclusivity deal provoked the ire of devoted Steam fans, who have complained and even resorted to the usual tactic of review bombing the previous Metro games on Valve's store.

When asked for his take on these reactions, Sweeney reiterated the aim of the Epic Games Store is, "breaking the 70/30 stranglehold that's pervaded the industry for more than a decade," and that its methods in doing so were never going to please everyone.

"Changing the way that games are sold is a big disruption to everybody," he says. "I understand that -- I've personally unsubscribed from Netflix twice as their selections of movies changed. But this is a necessary step forward for the games industry if we want to enable developers to invest in building better games, and if we want the savings to ultimately be passed on to gamers in the form of better prices.

"Ultimately, this is about making the industry a better place, starting with the terms available for developers. I understand gamers don't see that. They don't see the hardship of making a payroll and seeing the store suck out 30% of the revenue from it. It can be jarring to see the industry is changing in ways that are typically invisible to us as gamers."

With such strong support from developers and publishers after the first three months, Epic Games is confident it can win over more partners -- even those, like Electronic Arts, who are trying to establish their own stores.

"The key for them is they want a direct relationship with their customers and a fair share of the revenue from their games," Sweeney says. "They build their own ecosystems because they felt they weren't getting the deal they deserved on Steam.

"The world deserves lots of stores. It's all very healthy for the industry to see lots of competition on lots of different fronts. Just look at all the gamers who installed Origins for the first time to play Apex Legends, all the Korean gamers who probably installed Steam for the first time to play PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Great games drive stores."

"[Curation] needs to be a human process that takes quality into account so the customers can trust us to supply good games"

It turns out free games also drive stores, as Epic announced its first free offering -- Unknown Worlds' Subnautica -- was downloaded more than 4.5 million times during the two-week promotion, and Monomi Park's Slime Rancher is currently on track to beat it.

"The free games have been a huge success, much bigger than expected," says Sweeney. "We've gone around working with game developers and paid them for the opportunity to release their games for free for two weeks. That's brought in a huge number of new gamers.

"The wonderful thing is we're bringing in new gamers to the Epic Games Store more economically than we would if we paid Facebook or Google for ads. Instead of ads, free games are driving the store forward."

Sweeney is keen to get as many titles onto the Epic Games Store as possible, but this ambition is still tempered by the desire to offer a high-quality catalogue. Given the recent controversy over visual novel Rape Day and Valve's slow response, the Epic CEO is quick to assure such a title will never appear on his store.

"We are going to maintain a reasonable quality standard for games," he says. "It'll be open to games of all sizes, but not the junky asset flips or shock controversy games that are built just to make noise. PC is an open platform; there are lots of stores, so I don't feel like any particular store has a moral obligation to carry low quality or highly controversial projects."

Does this mean the Epic Games Store will have a greater focus on curation than Valve's marketplace, with more effort placed on monitoring what developers submit?

"Absolutely," Sweeney concludes. "This needs to be a human process that takes quality into account so the customers can trust us to supply good games."

Make me a PC exclusive if old.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
"This is for your own good, you just don't know it yet!"

Fuck off.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the excuse gonna be when Valve inevitably changes their revenue split?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the storefront taking less than 30% cut a bad thing? I understand the moneyhatting concerns but what do people think about the cut?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a sense he's right: competition is good. Plus there's the whole smaller cut too. But when you literally pay devs to skip platforms (temporarily or permanently) they were committed to delivering for, that part ain't very good for the consumers, is it?

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Making EGS more popular will not make console platform holders lower their share and that's where games sell the most.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
What Epic Games is doing is actually pretty good for developers, and I support that.

If gamers don't wanna see that, is ok, they can wait for Steam releases and even cheaper prices. Because let's not fool ourselves, everyone already has a massive backlog of stuff to enjoy, that with the ongoing multiplayer stuff (most of it free to play).

Not a popular opinion, but in this case, I'm on the developers side. Gamers have been entitled for too long and few dare to peek behind the curtain to see what game development really is and how it works.

Last edited:

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
They are doing all of this for our own good.

Tim, seriously.... you need to stop talking. For your company's good.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the storefront taking less than 30% cut a bad thing? I understand the moneyhatting concerns but what do people think about the cut?
No one is really saying it is. Consumers are mad, and rightfully so, about them buying exclusives of 3rd party games to an inferior service and also cutting out all the independent storefronts like GMG in the process

They sold it that the lower cut of revenue would create cheaper priced games but we are already seeing that's not the case

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If the EGS wasn't so hopelessly shit I wouldn't have too much of a problem with the money hatting. Whats the time frame on EGS getting something like Big Picture mode or in-home streaming? Probably never.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Photo from interview
maxresdefault.jpg

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Epic is trying to disrupt the 30/70 split which will ultimately benefit the developers that make video games and we will see more games being (more) successful which will in turn lead to growth and even more games. Unfortunately, this will take a few years to come to light and the public won't notice it unless devs speak up about it.

But instead, gamers just wanna complain that their game of choice is not on their favorite Store.Exe.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
What Epic Games is doing is actually pretty good for developers, and I support that.

If gamers don't wanna see that, is ok, they can wait for Steam releases and even cheaper prices. Because let's not fool ourselves, everyone already has a massive backlog of stuff to enjoy, that with the ongoing multiplayer stuff (most of it free to play).

Not a popular opinion, but in this case, I'm in the developers side. Gamers have been entitled for too long and few dare to peek behind the curtain to see what game development really is and how it works.

This isn't a gamers vs developers issue and the fact that Epic, and you, are making it that is bullshit.

Epic is trying to disrupt the 30/70 split which will ultimately benefit the developers that make video games and we will see more games being (more) successful which will in turn lead to growth and even more games. Unfortunately, this will take a few years to come to light and the public won't notice it unless devs speak up about it.

But instead, gamers just wanna complain that their game of choice is not on their favorite Store.Exe.

That split benefits the publisher, not the devs. The devs that it does benefit are the smaller teams that are self-publishing and aren't actually being cherry-picked by Epic right now.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What a lying shithead.
Sweeney has been constantly lying & making shit up on the fly since the 90s...but everybody was lapping it up because he was "hitting" on the "bad guys" (Microsoft, Intel, AMD, Google etc..) but now people are finalizing realising the lunatic that he is.. (and he loves $$$ like no other..but acts like he does everything philanthropically.)

OP
OP
Komo

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

I mean some people see Epic being able to do that and take a loss as a way of them forcing something on the market. Because they're not offering alot of the features steam is they don't need that large cut. But since Steam, MS, Sony, Apple, Google, all are actually providing much more then just a place to buy and download. They are also providing a lot more to the PC community with R&D (Mainly Valve/MS)

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Hey, wow, can Tim Sweeny just shut the fuck up? How is this better for anyone? I've yet to see it. We've got a stale client, they're fucking over some people in other parts of the world, making games more expensive, spying on their users without telling them, creating a huge divide in the gaming community and they seem to have no intentions to stop. Where is the good, Tim? Where?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Epic really doesn't get that their "fuck you we're good and you're too dumb to get it" PR is not helping them at all.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
In the end, games and developers need players to...uh... play their games. And right now, the Epic Store situation is antagonizing with them and damaging the reputation of a lot of developers.

Competition is good, but not this kind of competition where you basically buy exclusives, even games that were already backed and/or preordered in other stores, specially when your launcher means right now less alternatives to the consumer (can´t buy in 3rd party stores, no mods, no archievements, no features...). Stablishing yourself creating a bad reputation for your store and devs thay support you is a terrible strategy from my point of view, even if it means profit in the short time for devs.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean i like what Epic is doing for some things but the whole exclusivity thing is still bullshit on the highest order. Dude is lying his ass off here though.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one is really saying it is. Consumers are mad, and rightfully so, about them buying exclusives of 3rd party games to an inferior service and also cutting out all the independent storefronts like GMG in the process

They sold it that the lower cut of revenue would create cheaper priced games but we are already seeing that's not the case

Do you have a source on that? I was under the impression the lower cut would benefit devs, it seems totally unrealistic for games to become even cheaper for the consumers.

I mean some people see Epic being able to do that and take a loss as a way of them forcing something on the market. Because they're not offering alot of the features steam is they don't need that large cut. But since Steam, MS, Sony, Apple, Google, all are actually providing much more then just a place to buy and download. They are also providing a lot more to the PC community with R&D (Mainly Valve/MS)

This is a great point, Steam is offering more features to the players whereas Epic is offering more liquid cash to the devs. Makes sense

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I repeat.

I can't believe anyone is willingly supporting these people.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
"This person with more experience in the industry than I do suggests this may be a net positive change, but I don't like it right now so he must be lying to me."

morel like hypocritical person is now doing what he accused other companies of bad stuff were doing.

and now is gaslighting us to into believe that what he is doing is different and good for us.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas

Not a popular opinion, but in this case, I'm in the developers side. Gamers have been entitled for too long and few dare to peek behind the curtain to see what game development really is and how it works.

what an incredibly bad faith, cursory summary of people's actual reasons for disliking EGS.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
The notion that this is only about "the way games are sold" has never been the whole story here, and that narrative needs to stop. The platform that a game is on has an impact on your continued usage of that game, not just the upfront point-of-sale experience.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The whole line of reasoning of what is good for developers will eventually be good for customers hits too close to the bullshittery of the same line of argument that trickle down economics employs.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This person with more experience in the industry than I do suggests this may be a net positive change, but I don't like it right now so he must be lying to me."
Jesus, you eat PR bullshit really easily.

You know what the same dude with "more experience than I do" said several years ago? That all PV owners are pirates and that's why they abandoned the platform. Some amazing fucking knowledge there.

Epic Store is doing nothing but making the industry worse. We are already seeing signs of it with GOG having to drive their fair price program..