Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Entitled for protecting their consumer rights?
I already got myself a 5-day ban for trying to explain my vision on the matter and no matter what I tell you, your mindset probably is not gonna change, so not gonna bother explaining myself again. I'll just say that "The customer is always right" is the biggest lie in the business and the one who perpetuates shitty behaviour.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Re: Source 2 talk from the last page.

Years ago, I had high hopes for Source 2 when it started being used with Dota. I imagined other games would soon move to the new engine and that they would be releasing it soon for public use / new games. And then nothing ever came out of that. And this being the tech world: years ago from the last known update is basically a dead sentence, Source 2 most likely wouldn't be able to compete now.

I think Valve dropped the ball pretty hard on that one.

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
I already got myself a 5-day ban for trying to explain my vision on the matter and no matter what I tell you, your mindset probably is not gonna change, so not gonna bother explaining myself again. I'll just say that "The customer is always right" is the biggest lie in the business and the one who perpetuates shitty behaviour.
The phrase "customer is always right" being shit (or at least the current interpretation of it, the original phrase had different meaning) and people fighting for their consumer rights not being entitled are two things that can be true at the same time.Just saying.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the alternative is pirating the software you need, which I'd say is more disgusting and will get your business in big trouble if caught.
Not sure how is that relevant, saying any person who can't afford stuff (freelance, people starting off, etc) are not worth of being a pro is a disgusting take no matter how many buts you add to it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty crap how expensive autocad is, tho. And all the freeware alternatives aren't nearly useful enough for actual plan development. My dad's company spends a ton on autocad licenses.
Was checking the prices and... holy shit. Those subscriptions are expensive as hell.

And yeah, the free alternatives aren't that good. Either I'm too stupid, or Gimp is too complex.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was checking the prices and... holy shit. Those subscriptions are expensive as hell.

And yeah, the free alternatives aren't that good. Either I'm too stupid, or Gimp is too complex.

For art work, I find gimp to be acceptable. I'm talking about blueprint development specifically, like this:

autocad-lt-ui-thumb-600x300.jpg

in many municipalities, you HAVE to submit digital plans in autodesk's proprietary format. Freeware alternatives actually can do everything autocad can, except save in that specific format.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Who knows how this will unfold for other games, or if there will even be other games, this is the first and only one as far as I'm aware, but at least Dangerous Driving is available for purchase on Humble, and it's €3 cheaper, 11% less than on EGS.

Getting maximum money is the reason for a game company to partner with Epic, so I certainly don't expect one to forgo revenue by taking a smaller cut and less revenue by distributing their game to Humble. Three Fields is the first to show they understand and respect the position of consumers. And I do the same to theirs.

This is a case where there's all the indication that they took the moneybags because they actually needed it as security. Their previous games weren't blockbusters and there's no guarantee this game will do better enough. I'm not exactly happy when a game is removed from competing platforms, but I can't fault Three Fields here.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda off topic, but I seriously hope for a legislation that bans proprietary formats for government documents.

not to keep this off topic, but holy shit I agree so much. And that goes for books, too! It's absolutely insane that the national electric code, can be copyrighted work! The code you literally have to adhere to, is paywalled behind private corporations! And this goes for virtually every code, not just electric codes. Plumbing, structural, etc. "Want to know the rules required to build your house? Sorry, that information belongs to So-and-so publishers inc, gotta pay them $800 for the book! But we'll reject you for not knowing those codes all the same..."

Then there's the problem of most up to date revision. You can't just adhere to the code, you have to cite it on your plans. "These plans adhere to chapter X section Y of NEC 2012" and, surprise surprise, the chapter numbers change every year. It's the college textbook racket, but applied to municipal development. So gross. You can literally cite the right code, but reference the wrong number, and they'll reject you.

Sorry, this is just something that has stuck with me ever since I worked a summer back in college with my dad and I got to see how all this shit worked. Terrible stuff! Data should be free, but especially the rules that govern us!

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows how this will unfold for other games, or if there will even be other games, this is the first and only one as far as I'm aware, but at least Dangerous Driving is available for purchase on Humble, and it's €3 cheaper, 11% less than on EGS.

Getting maximum money is the reason for a game company to partner with Epic, so I certainly don't expect one to forgo revenue by taking a smaller cut and less revenue by distributing their game to Humble. Three Fields is the first to show they understand and respect the position of consumers. And I do the same to theirs.

This is a case where there's all the indication that they took the moneybags because they actually needed it as security. Their previous games weren't blockbusters and there's no guarantee this game will do better enough. I'm not exactly happy when a game is removed from competing platforms, but I can't fault Three Fields here.
This one is interesting to me because there is no price difference between humble and egs in the USA. Seems like this deal is for your region. Does Humble normally give an extra 10 percent off for games without needing humble monthly in your area? Trying to figure out why there is an extra humble discount for you but not for me.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

The "customer is always right" is a lie. The truth is the "Customer has the Money", and if you don't treat them right they are more than willing to go to your competition.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This one is interesting to me because there is no price difference between humble and egs in the USA. Seems like this deal is for your region. Does Humble normally give an extra 10 percent off for games without needing humble monthly in your area? Trying to figure out why there is an extra humble discount for you but not for me.
The ordinary price on Humble is €26.73, which is odd. And yup, that's almost exactly $29.99. So it appears to be pricematched to the US.
If it wasn't, it would be the same price as it is on EGS, since Dangerous Driving is one of the few games on EGS that's 10% off to drive pre-orders.

I've not kept tabs on Humble, but it seems at least smaller new games with some amount of regularity see a 10-15% discount.
New Releases currently looks like this.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re: Source 2 talk from the last page.

Years ago, I had high hopes for Source 2 when it started being used with Dota. I imagined other games would soon move to the new engine and that they would be releasing it soon for public use / new games. And then nothing ever came out of that. And this being the tech world: years ago from the last known update is basically a dead sentence, Source 2 most likely wouldn't be able to compete now.

I think Valve dropped the ball pretty hard on that one.
Yeah, Im not a fan of Valve's handling on game development. It was grest for Dota 2, we saw some leaks of L4D3 and..... that's pretty much it.

Instead what we got was Artifact, a game that was so filled with hubris.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people at Valve work on Source 2. Given how many employees they have and how many other projects they work on it can't be very many, especially compared to Unreal or Unity.

Honestly I feel like Source 2 is probably well behind those engines and probably won't have decent console support for a long time. Unless Source 2 is actually much further along than we think I wonder if Valve working with Unity (by partnering with them or buying them if that was a viable option) would have been better than what's probably like a dozen Valve employees working on Source 2.
Eh the market changed too much, I honestly doubt that Valve will ever fully release Source 2 for outsiders to license.
Unity and UE4 each have what, at least 300 people working on their engines alone? Valve as a whole has 350, if there's even 20 people actively working on Source 2 that'd be a surprise.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
If Tim Sweeny thinks making the industry better = forcing gamers to only buy games off of a severely underdeveloped storefront (no cloud saves is a huge dealbreaker for me, when I lose EGS saves from simpmy clicking the wrong icon to load a game), with almost no selection of games, so developers can get a slightly higher cut if the lower sales they will get, then I think Tim is incredibly detached.

There are no consumer benefits to this, it's taking away consumer choice, and objectively making their gaming amd purchase experience worse.

The only company that will benefit from ths is Epic. And of all companies to rebel against, Valve is the last company with a store I'd have an issue with. This is clearly a war of Epic simple trying stringarm their way inti the game online retailer buisness, and very little else.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh the market changed too much, I honestly doubt that Valve will ever fully release Source 2 for outsiders to license.
Unity and UE4 each have what, at least 300 people working on their engines alone? Valve as a whole has 350, if there's even 20 people actively working on Source 2 that'd be a surprise.
it'd be cool if they just took whatever they have and completely open sourced it + set up an independent governing body to run the project

as far as i know there's no real options for full FOSS 3D game engines

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I work in Sales, and that phrase/cliche "the Customer is always right" is very dumb and absolutely not true