• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
What you are missing is context. Apparently the demo isn't limited by I/O, at least not that you need a PS5 SSD to run this demo. Which means for this demo there is no I/O advantage. But this doesn't mean you won't see games/demos taking advantage of the incredible PS5 I/O speeds.

oh ok I see makes sense

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Exactly. Unknown. If you don't know, don't extrapolate and make assumptions. This negates you're whole post.

From another angle, epic is optimising their engine for ps5, which would add to the "deal" that the engine will simply run well on ps5 architecture. This would mean it's a more than a marketing deal and more of a technological partnership to ensure the majority of players (which will be on ps5 if the trend of this generation continues) will get to play UE5 games without issues.

But then again, it's easier to scream "marketing deal" from the top of your lung, to propagate some kind of money hat narrative. But you do you.
I don't know the extent of any deal, but seems obvious that those exist. Maybe no money involved, but some other terms may apply (in the end, however, money is the final goal).Both Sony and mS make deals all the time. That said, each one, myself included, have our own take on it, based on what we know, expectations and preferences.
I haven't said what i think about Sony and epic deal. I can if you wish though, but if quite irrelevant

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, who ever said they were providing too much? I honestly never read that and it would be the same as "system has too much RAM". There is no better RAM than more RAM :) (well, besides having win95 back then and having more than 512mb RAM which made the operating system crash).

Not saying it's common sentiment, but it does come up - I mean the idea that it's overengineered, excess. The comparison to Cell is an echo of that - 'more of a thing' nobody asked for and/or was problematic to use.

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox started pretty well with the marketing, but they are losing the war. For all the stuff MS has shown, I still haven't seen how powerful the series X will be yet. The fact we are talking about a tech demo when actual games have been shown says more of the failure of MS has shown us.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it kind of depends what artifact we're talking about. If memory was failing to keep up with the camera - let's say - you could fall back on pop-in, which is one artifact I was thinking of that definitely wouldn't become imperceptible at speed. You could fall back on simple capping your LoD so you don't need to bring in so much data. That you might not notice at high speed. But where you would notice it more is where you slow down, and or when you stop. At those points, if you want to bring fidelity back up, if it takes a short moment for data to catch up the camera, you may have either detail pop-in or 'boiling' as fidelity converges back to the optimal state.
Seems like that could be avoided by lowering the details far away and on object and textures at high speed and increasing them as the speed goes down. I guess if you would go super fast and instantly stop the io wouldn't keep up, for like a split second which you would miss if you blink. I just think we would have to really search for those artifacts to ever notice them.

But once we go up to 120fps and can drop the blur it's a whole different scenario. And that will happen. Motion clarity means a lot, a such a high framerate it'll be much more difficult to hide any streaming optimization since everything could essentially be seen in detail all the time if you just look at it. But this flying part and the Spider-Man demo shown last year is just PR, at motion blurred 30fps you can likely cut the triangle count in half and drop all texture resolutions in half and still wouldn't notice it. :p

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They dodged questions and if the Chinese translation is true, then the demo doesn't need as much I/O speed as people believe. Such a statement doesn't make sense, if the demo running on the laptop isn't the exact same demo imo, because it would be a water is wet comment.

We don't know the amount of RAM in that laptop, but considering that it has RTX2080 in it and is owned by a dev, it probably has a lot.
You don't need ultra fast SSD or sophisticated I/O config if you have a lot of fast ram, 32 or 64gb ddr4 will probably be sufficient for streaming in this case.

Which defeats the whole argument of using this example as a confirmation that very fast SSD is not required in systems with insufficient amount of RAM.

Oh and yes, this demo will absolutely run and perform better on PC with top tier GPU, CPU and lot of RAM. Decent SSD will still be required to put data in memory fast enough though.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox started pretty well with the marketing, but they are losing the war. For all the stuff MS has shown, I still haven't seen how powerful the series X will be yet. The fact we are talking about a tech demo when actual games have been shown says more of the failure of MS has shown us.

I think when we see DF benches of PS5/XSX multiplatform games, after a while there'll be a narrative people flock too, I feel like you'll see faster loading or better performance, but who knows, only time will tell.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SSD is a matter of memory access.

It's like saying 'more memory sounds like Cell power discussions'.

More data access shouldn't be controversial as 'a good thing'.

The only thing that was ever put in question is whether Sony was providing too much. It would be a first for a console to be providing too much data access.

In the end it's about utilization. They have an engine to sell that also will run on current gen consoles.

No one is doubting what Sony teams can do with the PS5 but saying that demo was only possible because of the PS5 SSD is silly.

What matter is 3rd party games. Are they going to take advantage of the SSD on the PS5 when they have another console to develop for? I don't think so.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not saying it's common sentiment, but it does come up - I mean the idea that it's overengineered, excess. The comparison to Cell is an echo of that - 'more of a thing' nobody asked for and/or was problematic to use.
Yeah but, I mean: we have in the same way people stating XSX is only "brute-forcing" power. Why even use that in a discussion in like "but people say". It doesn't help the discussion at all, there are always weird people but that does not mean these are common opinions (at least I hope so!).

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Some "Correct" translations quotes and tidbits taken from B3d:

forum.beyond3d.com

Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Unreal Engine 5 running on PS5

-The Epic guy is saying the first scene(Lumen) can run at 40fps on his notebook, not the whole demo.

-If its a 1080P screen, 2 triangle per pixel, make some compression on vertex, than you still can run this demo, no need very high bandwidth and IO like PS5.

-UE4.25 implemented asynchronous/overlapped loading (Because bottleneck was the CPU). They overhauled their shaders to work well with the event-driven loader. This gave them >50% loading speed improvement.

-In the final UE5 scene, compression and careful disk layout avoided the need for high speed SSD. The workload wasn't that high.

-Guy mentioned they can run the demo in the editor at 40fps, not 40+ but did not specify resolution.

-Currently Nanite has some limitations such as only works on static meshes, doesn't support deformation for animation, doesn't support skinned character model, supports opaque material but no mask.

-Lumen costs quite a bit more than Nanite.UE5 could eventually be a hybrid renderer using both Lumen and Raytracing in the future.

Oct 29, 2017

MS has shown a lot more than Sony. This is a tech demo that for all intents and purposes would probably look the same on both platforms.

Is this a good move from Sony in terms of marketing? Yes. Does this overcome the marketing advantage that MS has built up over the past months? No.

Also LMAO at losing the war in may. Even in an ideal world E3 is two months out, the console launch is in Q4 and the generation is going to last for at least 6 years. The war hasn't even started yet.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I know, I remember you said Tim said that to you. And I know what you are saying and it makes sense but in current discussions if it is not directly from the authorities, people doubt what you say. It already happened to you :/ But thanks again for clarification.
Oh i was not thinking you were doubting the obvious or being accusatory, you were writing rhetorical :)

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Because of what Tim Sweeney mentioned about the PS5 demo not being possible without the work Sony did on the SSD speeds.

Did he actually say the raw speed itself (9GB/s) made the demo possible? Or that the research they did with Sony in regards to SSD utilization and engine design made the demo possible?

There's a big difference there.

SSD advantage decisions are becoming more and more like the Cell power discussions.

I heard a rumour that the PS5 was originally going to have two SSDs instead of a GPU.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but, I mean: we have in the same way people stating XSX is only "brute-forcing" power. Why even use that in a discussion in like "but people say". It doesn't help the discussion at all, there are always weird people but that does not mean these are common opinions (at least I hope so!).

I was directly replying to someone expressing the sentiment I'm talking about there. Not a 'but people say'. I mean we can ignore, which is fair enough, maybe I should have.

In the end it's about utilization. They have an engine to sell that also will run on current gen consoles.

No one is doubting what Sony teams can do with the PS5 but saying that demo was only possible because of the PS5 SSD is silly.

Yeah and I wouldn't say that.

What matter is 3rd party games. Are they going to take advantage of the SSD on the PS5 when they have another console to develop for? I don't think so.

It depends what you mean by 'take advantage of'. A system like Nanite suggests the possibility of scaling certain things along with data throughput, independent of platform specific effort.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017

forum.beyond3d.com

-The Epic guy is saying the first scene(Lumen) can run at 40fps on his notebook, not the whole demo.

-If its a 1080P screen, 2 triangle per pixel, make some compression on vertex, than you still can run this demo, no need very high bandwidth and IO like PS5.

-UE4.25 implemented asynchronous/overlapped loading (Because bottleneck was the CPU). They overhauled their shaders to work well with the event-driven loader. This gave them >50% loading speed improvement.

-In the final UE5 scene, compression and careful disk layout avoided the need for high speed SSD. The workload wasn't that high.

-Guy mentioned they can run the demo in the editor at 40fps, not 40+ but did not specify resolution.

-Currently Nanite has some limitations such as only works on static meshes, doesn't support deformation for animation, doesn't support skinned character model, supports opaque material but no mask.

-Lumen costs quite a bit more than Nanite.UE5 could eventually be a hybrid renderer using both Lumen and Raytracing in the future.
This is legit? Still not very clear but cheers.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

forum.beyond3d.com

Thanks for the correct translation.

So many things are unclear on the statements made that makes the comparison kinda useless imo.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yep, this is what I look forward to the most. Tech like UE5 + DLSS 2.0 is going to be a godsend.

To be fair, the Temporal Upsampling And Dynamic Resolution also have pretty amazing results on UE4, so it shouldn't be a large difference between that for AMD and consoles and DLSS 2.0.

It does make me wonder if the demo is using those techniques. Like is this a native 1440p upscale to 4k on PS5, or maybe that's even just 1080p reconstructed to 1440p? It would be strange if they didn't use it at all. Or maybe it can't run in parallel to nanite?

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
on the very first page of this thread there are comments about how the last sequence was only possible because of PS5s super SSD. come on lol
per the translation could be run with any decent SSD with careful data ubication (and duplication ala Spiderman does?) to accelerate random accesses. Besides the scene is not so complex in data as seems, after all they only use a rock texture for all.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Wow

Weird

Who would have guessed that UE5 will work on multiple consoles and be good on them all

Color me surprised

shocked

Nos

Oct 27, 2017
MS has shown a lot more than Sony. This is a tech demo that for all intents and purposes would probably look the same on both platforms.

Is this a good move from Sony in terms of marketing? Yes. Does this overcome the marketing advantage that MS has built up over the past months? No.

Also LMAO at losing the war in may. Even in an ideal world E3 is two months out, the console launch is in Q4 and the generation is going to last for at least 6 years. The war hasn't even started yet.
Yes.
And there is no war, the PS5 will outsell everything.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

Well we've seen Hellblade 2 a bit and it looks amazing.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020

Between this demo and MS's poor 'next gen reveal' Inside Xbox I think Sony have done a much better job so far. 'This is what PS5 graphics look like!' seems like it has had much more penetration than the 'and Xbox too!'. And that is only magnified, I think, by MS showing cross-gen games for their 'next-gen reveal'. Microsoft need to show something ridiculous or I think they run the real risk of people thinking PS5 has a big advantage! :)

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Between this demo and MS's poor 'next gen reveal' Inside Xbox I think Sony have done a much better job so far. 'This is what PS5 graphics look like!' seems like it has had much more penetration than the 'and Xbox too!'. And that is only magnified, I think, by MS showing cross-gen games for their 'next-gen reveal'. Microsoft need to show something ridiculous or I think they run the real risk of people thinking PS5 has a big advantage! :)
And you will have dreams like lighting evolved in Sony first parties with their own vertices computing algorithms!.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, the Temporal Upsampling And Dynamic Resolution also have pretty amazing results on UE4, so it shouldn't be a large difference between that for AMD and consoles and DLSS 2.0.

It does make me wonder if the demo is using those techniques. Like is this a native 1440p upscale to 4k on PS5, or maybe that's even just 1080p reconstructed to 1440p? It would be strange if they didn't use it at all. Or maybe it can't run in parallel to nanite?
Dynamic native 1440p temporal injected to 4k

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
We need to wait for exclusive games to see if there is an advantage.

Truth is unless we get a tech break down we can see games and have no idea what the advantage is or what part of the Sony SSD set up help .
Even if there are exclusive we entering a shift on how things are done and we need break downs to understand what going on .

Oct 29, 2017

We know the specs, we know there is no significant advantage. The Cerny presentation was far from a good showing.
The SSD crowd should stay silent after we saw that if it is truly the bottleneck next gen.

We saw the XSX, MS has been confident and clear.

This demo is literally the only redeeming quality about Sony's showing.

The Xbox Inside showcase is the only problematic showing from MS.

So how is MS losing a war?

(And yes, PS5 will outsell the Xbox. That's a given. So what war again?)

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Playground uses unreal engine? They don't have their own custom Forza tech?

Playground has two teams, both which will probably be roughly 200 employees each.

One is the racing/Horizon team, the other is the RPG team.

Horizon team uses ForzaTech, RPG team is using Unreal Engine.

Nos

Oct 27, 2017
We know the specs, we know there is no significant advantage. The Cerny presentation was far from a good showing.
The SSD crowd should stay silent after we saw that if it is truly the bottleneck next gen.

We saw the XSX, MS has been confident and clear.

This demo is literally the only redeeming quality about Sony's showing.

The Xbox Inside showcase is the only problematic showing from MS.

So how is MS losing a war?

(And yes, PS5 will outsell the Xbox. That's a given. So what war again?)
Are you being real?
I can't tell anymore if someone is trolling.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I believe they said the PS5 demo was 1440p upscaled to 4K, yeah.

And I think you're right about TAA being pretty damn good in UE4. I have it on in Gears 5 and I don't ever notice it drop even though it tells you it does when I run the benchmark.

Dec 8, 2018

forum.beyond3d.com

The 1440p/40fps part was only the cave area?

And they had to use duplication or something similar to make up for the slower IO speed and run it at 1080p as well to achieve PS5 performance?

This is does certainly not sound like running the exact same demo.

Time for update 3 P40L0

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

forum.beyond3d.com

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for this. Dictator what do you think about this?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

forum.beyond3d.com

Hmm. 2 triangles per pixel, vs 10 per pixel suggested on the PS5 demo?

If that's not a mistranslation, or whatever, that does suggest IO is a pretty strong component in the triangles per pixel target you're going for. It tells us a bit more also about how Nanite might work.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
per the translation could be run with any decent SSD with careful data ubication (and duplication ala Spiderman does?) to accelerate random accesses. Besides the scene is not so complex in data as seems, after all they only use a rock texture for all.

Same problem than Insomniac with Spiderman. Without Kraken and some hardware decompression maybe 300 to 400 GB install for PC version.

Hmm. 2 triangles per pixel, vs 10 per pixel suggested on the PS5 demo?

If that's not a mistranslation, or whatever, that does suggest IO is a pretty strong component in the triangles per pixel target you're going for. That the data requirement can scale down up to ~10x vs what was being shown on PS5.

For the flying sequence they did lile Insomniac and all open world organize data for sequential read and duplicate data. Slow SSD are equal to HDD now.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
For the flying sequence they did lile Insomniac and all open world organize data for sequential read and duplicate data. Slow SSD are equal to HDD now.

It's a wee bit unclear exactly what he's talking about there.

But I mean if you know the camera's path, laying out data for a perfect prefetch would be possible. How usable that would be in a go-anywhere game context is debatable though.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing a lot of the comments here, I'm not so sure now that showing that presentation on a consumer event was the best choice. Tech demos are supposed to sell the engine to developers, but it doesn't mean players will see a game using everything that was in it. The unnecessary hype is only leading to future threads about devs lying, downgrade, etc. That worries me a lot.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

forum.beyond3d.com

Hmmm. It seems like a static, opaque environments use nanite best, like cities and the desert in the demo. I wonder if later in the gen the tech will be able to work with deformable materials and character models. (btw it says it doesnt support skinned character models, but what if the game uses robots or heavily armored characters?)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

And they had to use duplication or something similar to make up for the slower IO speed and run it at 1080p as well to achieve PS5 performance?

Time for update 3 P40L0
About the "latest translation" guy:

A few things that I noticed from skimming through the video.
* Guy mentioned they can run the demo in the editor at 40fps, not 40+ but did not specify resolution.
* Currently Nanite has some limitations such as only works on static meshes, doesn't support deformation for animation, doesn't support skinned character model, supports opaque material but no mask.
* Lumen costs quite a bit more than Nanite
* UE5 could eventually be a hybrid renderer using both Lumen and Raytracing in the future.

Did not watch the whole 135min lol.
Link

Does not seem that more reliable to me...

I would trust more the first reddit one, which was also confirmed to be correct here by another native mandarin user (tutomos), which has also seen and listened the whole interview.

No need for another Update or spin.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

forum.beyond3d.com

Thanks for the tidbits

Time for update 3 P40L0
You got that wrong, because they didn't have to use more duplicated assets. That's the flying section:
With lowering the resolution you don't need as much bandwith, but the compression and careful disk layout was used on every device.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. It seems like a static, opaque environments use nanite best, like cities and the desert in the demo. I wonder if later in the gen the tech will be able to work with deformable materials and character models. (btw it says it doesnt support skinned character models, but what if the game uses robots or heavily armored characters?)
Yes, that is worrisome, you will have three or four (if they add RT too) rendering methods at once to add to a running time of already 33 ms frame time in a tech demo. Far from elegant and a debugging nightmare.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The main purpose on this demo, lumen and nanite, especially scale well on compute, as per DF. Nobody says fast storage is not required but the question was whether it needed ps5 SSD spec. And now it seems it doesn't. The purpose of the demo was not to show off fast storage.
This makes PS5 even more impressive. The UE5 Tech demo requires quite a beefy IO network, and if that's just the sample, imagine what software designed with a 9 gb /s baseline will look like!

Dec 8, 2018
It's a wee bit unclear exactly what he's talking about there.

But I mean if you know the camera's path, laying out data for a perfect prefetch would be possible. How usable that would be in a go-anywhere game context is debatable though.

I mean that sound terrible when it comes to game design and also exactly what Cerny talked about how their SSD would make game development much easier.

If you have to spend time carefully placing things that directly makes games more time consuming, expensive to make and everything else that follows with increased development.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
About the "latest translation" guy:

Link

Does not seem that more reliable to me...

I would trust more the first reddit one, which was also confirmed to be correct here by another native mandarin user (tutomos), which has also seen and listened the whole interview.

No need for another Update or spin.
Sorry, but i will be more confident of years old known B3D users all the day. But whatever.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I mean that sound terrible when it comes to game design and also exactly what Cerny talked about how their SSD would make game development much easier.

If you have to spend time carefully placing things that directly makes games more time consuming, expensive to make and everything else that follows with increased development.
you're always going to be hitting these types of solutions when people are pushing for the best possible visuals....always....