BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9b5.jpg

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, the ever elusive trickle down economics we've been hearing about since the dawn of time.

Once again, fuck off Tim.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
What he is really saying:
" we just signed deals with multiple publishers to pay them incentives to lower their store prices on new games for a few months to garner users ".

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Not gonna belive that this whole thing leads to lower prices, and 'better' games (which is even quantifiable) because of Epic's lower cut.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I mean it's dumb really .. publishers and devs want lower store percentages so they can make more money not the same.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it from most major publishers, but seeing Metro at $50 was pretty cool. I probably wouldn't lower the cost of my own game just because we're making more money from it... at that point, I could just be on Steam.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
This is what Steam sales already do, capture revenue from people that have no intention of paying full retail price. Tim once again reinventing the wheel in his own mind.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's dumb really .. publishers and devs want lower store percentages so they can make more money not the same.

Tim is full of shit. It's nothing new.
"We give lower cuts so that devs makes more money"
"In fact the lower cuts will mean the same money devs used to make on 3rd party stores".

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
How much are Metro and Division 2 in US? Here it's $40, I don't know if it's regional pricing.

Still not using the store tho.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
realising they can sell more copies if they have a better price

It is at this moment that Tim learned why sales events are so important.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is what Steam sales already do, capture revenue from people that have no intention of paying full retail price. Tim once again reinventing the wheel in his own mind.

The guy's whole promise is basically "support us so that maybe in a few years, we can give you what you used to get with Steam. Maybe."

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy has done the worst possible job at explaining why people need his store. Nothing that makes the Epic Store more compelling over Steam, just this vague promise of nobility because Steam is a monopoly or something.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
What was the excuse for PC versions of games costing the same as the console versions? Most publishers aren't passing on their savings. They are keeping more in their pocket.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So developers are expected to be giving away (a part of) their 18% profit margin... There goes that bullet point in the store's favor then.

And I also thought Epic was all about developers not devaluing their games with their stance on sales and such.

They're sending a lot of mixed messages lately.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I read this as, "We're going to offer additional guarantees to some developers if they price their game lower than "normal, even though it'll still probably cost more than it would if the game were released everywhere and key sites could compete. Then we'll try to turn it into good PR somehow."

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Metro Exodus was cheaper...in the US. Rest of the world had to pay $60 equivalent. That was an insult.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
T r i c k l e d o w n.

And passing down savings when many publishers have their own stores that charge full price.

I guess 100% is not as strong as 88% fore passing off savings.?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article: https://www.pcgamesn.com/epic-store-cheaper-games

Tim probably also still believes in trickle down economics...
I don't know if that counts as trickle down economics because what he says is more about financial benefits for the manufacturer being passed on to the consumer, not financial benefits for the wealthy being passed on to the poor. But in any case, I would be careful making these kinds of predictions if I were him. Boast about it if and when it happens but don't go out saying "our store is better because this hypothetical thing that's good for consumers might happen at some point down the line". Unless he's actually clairvoyant, in that case: more power to him.

Last edited:

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They aren't passing down shit! They didn't switch to EGS for the better payout to give it to consumers. It's a business for fucks sake.

Oct 25, 2017
Billionaire disingenuously argues for trickle down economics because he knows it benefits him and not the consumer. Film at 11.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I already see lower prices when there's store competition.
While the 12% store cut EGS sells Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 for 60€, other stores with a 30% cut sell it for 50€ or even lower:
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/vampiremasqueradebloodlinesii/info/

Trickle down economics is basically the myth of the invisible hand.
The reality is the visible middle finger.

I'm only seeing 10% off at that link from Green Man Gaming. I'm not see 30% off anywhere.