LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
A bit off topic, but I've always wondering why dating apps are "harder" for men? I'm pretty sure it all boils down to the fact that the number of men that sign up is much greater than the number of women. Anyone know what the ratio is typically?

I guess the question is really why don't more women sign up? There is an equal number of single men and women out there. Are a lot of women just not interested in dating online, or at all?

Read iseta's post above. Her experience is the norm rather than the exception. Women are interested in dating, but too many men are awful people so they prefer to date within a smaller circle rather than potentially exposing themselves to creepy men who harass them. More women will join apps like Tinder and Bumble if they aren't afraid of running into abusive behavior.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Does anyone know how Bumble handles same-sex FF matches? Someone has to message first!

I have seen the stats on what women experience on these sites in a great book called Dataclysm. The feature makes a ton of sense. I think any man reading this who is using the site for more than hookups and is generally thoughtful when reaching out has nothing to worry about re: this affecting their success using the site. There are a lot of fuckbois out there. And in general, you should be in favor of whatever keeps women on the site.

If you are a man and you were using the site for hookups, you should be used to being treated like a piece of meat by now.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how Bumble handles same-sex FF matches? Someone has to message first!

I have seen the stats on what women experience on these sites in a great book called Dataclysm. The feature makes a ton of sense. I think any men reading this who is using the site for more than hookups and is generally thoughtful when reaching out has nothing to worry about re: this affecting their success using the site. There are a lot of fuckbois out there.

If you are a man and you were using the site for hookups, you should be used to being treated like a piece of meat by now.
I am not a woman, but I believe if it is FF, they allow either to message first.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, but how would you feel about a dating app that didn't allow photos?

In other words, you would have to match based solely on their profile description.

Oct 27, 2017
No, the idea cringes me out.

I wouldn't rule it out somewhere down the line, but at this moment in time it's a solid "no thanks".
Why? The only difference from "offline" dating is how you're initially bumping into each other. The second you meet up on a date it's pretty much the same aside from that being the first time you meet them in person

In other words, you would have to match based solely on their profile description.
I straight up ignore people without pictures. Dating apps aren't suppose to be blind dating and attraction has a lot to do with physical attraction, despite what some people say *coughsapiosexualscough*. They're just suppose to allow you to meet people outside your typical circles (friends, work, clubs, etc)

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to me that Tinder is doing this while Bumble is targetting them with a $400m lawsuit claiming that Match/Tinder used the pretext of an acquisition to steal corporate information.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly this is for the best. From thr perspectivr if a man It means someone youre actually really compatible with will actually see your message if theyre into you too vs wading through nonsense messages from random dudes

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its never been hard for men. Tinder is just a more equal footing. Dating apps are not oppressing men, even bumble.

You realize that it's ok to admit that women might have certain things easier in specific areas and still believe in feminism and that we have a long way to go for gender equality.

Toxic masculinity and the patriarchy doesn't hurt only women, it hurts men too.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Well that sucks. Can't wait to get lots of 'hey' or 'how was your weekend' openings. The women on Bumble have terrible openings.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its the wrong thing to do.

My asian Girlfriend would have never written me if i hadnt done the first step. After like 2-3 exchanges she started to take Interest in me because i wasnt a pervert or something else.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
This is probably a good thing, it's working for bumble.

Women messaging first seems to work well. As a man, if the person doesn't want to message me then they probably didn't want to meet up anyway! I tend to subscribe to the "Hell yeah! or no" mantra and no reply is definitely not a "hell yeah" type of response.

It also has the interesting effect of "forcing" women to send the first message which many women prefer not to do. At least this way you know a women is interested enough to bite the bullet and send the message (most of the time at least).

I was picky with swipes on bumble and still got matches here and there, not an avalanche of them, but most of these turned into conversations and potentially dates. Women I have talked to about this, though, report dozens of matches a day, which is just in a different universe from my experience. I'm not sure if this is because of more guys are used to swiping on everything, or there being more male users in general. As a man you definitely need to step up your pictures/profile if you want to make the whole thing work.

EDIT: That's not to say women don't. At least from my perspective, people with not profile, no pictures, or only 1 difficult to see picture were just an instant pass.

Krauser Kat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You realize that it's ok to admit that women might have certain things easier in specific areas and still believe in feminism and that we have a long way to go for gender equality.

Toxic masculinity and the patriarchy doesn't hurt only women, it hurts men too.

Women have been forced to live in a culture where their looks are about the only currency men value in them. Online dating evens that playing field quite a bit. Men need learn how to treat their bodies well and present themselves.

I have never had to worry about my bodily health going on a date with a woman or set up plans to check in with my friends to ensure i was ok. Just because more men swipe and want to meet them, doesn't make it easier.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its never been hard for men. Tinder is just a more equal footing. Dating apps are not oppressing men, even bumble.
LOL, you are joking. I can't even take this post seriously. (1) Its always been hard for men to date and marry (why? because men do not intrinsically bring anything to societies table other than potentially cannon fodder...men had to be successful as to show they could provide for a family...remember this is old school stuff not currently, and even now...successful men are...well, they are successful in lots of things usually; (2) oppressing? You probably want to pump the breaks on throwing around those kinds of modifiers.

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
As long as the matches don't delete then I wholeheartedly support this service and even prefer it. It's great not having to think of something witty to say in order to compete with all her other matches (just being honest). But Bumble's biggest thing is the match deletes after a day, forcing people to open the app everyday so they don't lose matches. That sucks.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA

This destroys the major thing people rely on, like it or not. This is partially why OkCupid isn't necessarily way more successful than others, even if you answered hundreds of questions. In their analysis, they realized picture is by far the most important.

Krauser Kat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL, you are joking. I can't even take this post seriously. (1) Its always been hard for men to date and marry (why? because men do not intrinsically bring anything to societies table other than potentially cannon fodder...men had to be successful as to show they could provide for a family...remember this is old school stuff not currently, and even now...successful men are...well, they are successful in lots of things usually; (2) oppressing? You probably want to pump the breaks on throwing around those kinds of modifiers.

Power and wealth have always been in men's hand. Men have bought, raped and murdered women throughout history with impunity. It was only until the early to mid-1900s that normal women could even survive not tied to a man and that line of thinking was only for aristocracy (see a room of ones one, wolfe) until 1950s or later. Single women mature is relatively new development thanks to their rise in wealth and city dwelling (see the book All the single ladies, traister).

No, I don't think dating has ever been harder on men than women. Only now the gap is slightly closing, as wealth and quality of life of single women reach that of men.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Power and wealth have always been in men's hand. Men have bought, raped and murdered women throughout history with impunity. It was only until the early to mid-1900s that normal women could even survive not tied to a man and that line of thinking was only for aristocracy (see a room of ones one, wolfe) until 1950s or later. Single women mature is relatively new development thanks to their rise in wealth and city dwelling (see the book All the single ladies, traister).

No, I don't think dating has ever been harder on men than women. Only now the gap is slightly closing, as wealth and quality of life of single women reach that of men.
This is much different (accurate, though unrelated), point that I was making. You are confusing two different concepts.

Oct 30, 2017
Is this a statement on how many women get matches compared to men? They can't manage them all at once so they have to have the ability to empower a man to talk? I don't get this, why would you swipe someone you didn't want to speak with. Save them for later, when your through with the dead ends?

Maybe I'm just out of touch with the online dating scene.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Damn. Spending all this time in the gym and counting calories only to never get messaged first on tinder.

I'm kidding dickfoo

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see many using this option. I've matched with so many people and it was always up to me. To make the first move. Plus you have other women on tinder who have "I'm shy so I won't message first" in their profile.
Exactly.

It doesn't help that I'm biased against Bumble since I overwhelmingly got more attention and messages on Tinder (and even Coffee Meets Bagel) with the same profile setup.

The vast majority of my dates (and my current relationship) started with me making the first move.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is this a statement on how many women get matches compared to men? They can't manage them all at once so they have to have the ability to empower a man to talk? I don't get this, why would you swipe someone you didn't want to speak with. Save them for later, when your through with the dead ends?

A lot of people suffer from self esteem, tinder matches can be seen as proof that you are good looking. Any further interaction isn't required.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

If you swipe left on someone, you can't go back and change your mind. They are gone until the algorithm decides to match you again hours/days/weeks later.

You don't automatically get feedback for all of your swipes either. If the other person hasn't come across your profile yet (because of their distance/age restrictions, or because they haven't logged in), you have no way of knowing, ever, if you were either ignored or passed over.

The only feedback you get is when you match (get a notification), or swipe right on someone who already swiped right on you (get an immediate notification). You might swipe on dozens or hundreds of people before getting a few matches, depending on population density and the attractiveness your profile displays. If you do all your swiping at odd times (at breakfast or bored at 2AM), you might pick up your phone 8 hours later to find a dozen matches waiting for you. You can't talk to them all simultaneously, it's foolish to try. So you rank, sort, and reach out.

As long as the matches don't delete then I wholeheartedly support this service and even prefer it. It's great not having to think of something witty to say in order to compete with all her other matches (just being honest). But Bumble's biggest thing is the match deletes after a day, forcing people to open the app everyday so they don't lose matches. That sucks.

The inability to carelessly match stack is something people actually like though. It forces people to "let go" of matches they have no real intention of dating, so those people reenter the pool, making the amount of unhitched people larger.

I'd rather know for a fact that a girl had no interest in me after a day then wait a few days, send her a message, and she ignores it forever. Saves everyone time and energy.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of harassment and abuse my women friends have found on tinder is absolutely absurd. I encourage everyone and especially men to go to therapy and work on your integrity and emotions, and in the mean time I'm glad that tinder is making moves to give women more safety and agency in online dating

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of harassment and abuse my women friends have found on tinder is absolutely absurd. I encourage everyone and especially men to go to therapy and work on your integrity and emotions, and in the mean time I'm glad that tinder is making moves to give women more safety and agency in online dating
How does this give them more safety?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, this seems like a pretty good option to have, regardless of gender
This. Make this a selectable option on people's profiles. That way when you get matched up or whatever (I don't use tinder personally not sure how it works) people can see you want to make the first move once you are comfortable enough with the other person to do so.

If both people have the option selected then they can work out how they want to handle that.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The way I imagined online dating scene was as it being heavily favoured towards women, so women actually have to try less compared to men in order to get the attention? I don't do online dating, and pretty much any dating so all my knowledge is hearsay and anecdotes from people who do use online date services. All my single women friends use tinder and they constantly laugh how easy it is for them and how much they DON'T have to try, while I keep hearing about the opposite for men.

If it's actually more balanced than that then thats great.

What? It's never been easier since Tinder. I know a friend who met his current GF in tinder and they are perfect for each other ( and she is really hot).

Its never been easier being single nowadays.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're just taking Bumble's thing, but Tinder has already done a 'soft' version of this on OKCupid, where nobody will see your message unless they both look at your profile. The concept of inboxes is pretty much gone, but it does a great job of getting rid of harassment.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
It gives women the option not to have harassment spammed at them without them initiating a conversation.
This just delays the harassment though. The only difference is now the woman would be starting the conversation. If someone gonna be a dick, they're gonna be a dick regardless of who starts the convo

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This just delays the harassment though. The only difference is now the woman would be starting the conversation. If someone gonna be a dick, they're gonna be a dick regardless of who starts the convo
Let's say a girl matches with 100 guys, 80 of those guys might message her. Of those 80 probably half will be "hey" or some variation mostly wasting everyone's time. Of the remaining 40, half of those might be "wanna hook up", and the last 20 might be mildly nice attempts. So a girl has to wade through so much shit just to get to something acceptable and it discourages her and she stops using the app.

There is a reason why Bumble is a thing.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say a girl matches with 100 guys, 80 of those guys might message her. Of those 80 probably half will be "hey" or some variation mostly wasting everyone's time. Of the remaining 40, half of those might be "wanna hook up", and the last 20 might be mildly nice attempts. So a girl has to wade through so much shit just to get to something acceptable and it discourages her and she stops using the app.

There is a reason why Bumble is a thing.
How's this different though? You're still getting the same pool of people, but now you have to contact them.

Oct 27, 2017
The sooner guys learn that you need to be in the top 80th percentile in terms of physical attractiveness before you talk to women online the better.