• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I'm not tipping my Lyft drivers (barring extraordinary service the likes of which I have yet to see).

I'm not tipping the guy (usually it's a male) that brings my suitcases up at the hotel. His job is pretty damn easy anyway.

I'm sure as fuck not tipping wait staff at restaurants.

And although I hardly do this now, I'm not tipping at places like Sbux that have the nerve to place a tip jar at the counter. Uh, thanks for this breakfast sandwich with raw bacon but no fucking way.

There are too many negatives to list but some of the top ones for me:

It distorts the labor market

I have no fucking idea how much my salmon dinner will cost me after accounting for taxes and tips. On the menu they should just put "$29.95(lol)"

The outcome of tipping is racist both ways. (Servers of color get lower tips even after accounting for quality of service. I get shitty service for being a young black male even though heretofore I've tipped every time but once for exceptionally terrible service. I'll give them what they want now though.)

It's a cudgel that shitty patrons use against wait staff.

I'm fucking done. I'm embarrassed to have even been a participant in the sick system that is tipping in America but all that shit ends today.

Anyway, how's everyone's Monday coming along?

Nov 30, 2018
I don't agree. Most tipped jobs are $4/hr.

Bell staff bust their ass up and down every day.

I will say, tipping for take out orders is bullshit though.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, then only go to places that do not accept tips and pay proper wages. If you go to a tipping expected restaurant and do not tip, you are just an asshole.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP I admire your courage.

You're right, employees should make a living wage. Starve the system. It's the only way.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
You have a right to not tip if you don't want to

but you should also announce you aren't tipping before you order

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you know someone depends on tips to live and you don't tip for their service, you're simply immoral.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to end tipping, become a lobbyist for fair wages for workers in the restaurant industry. If that changed the tipping culture in the USA would collapse with it. What you are doing is just punishing poor people.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're just a cheapskate hiding behind righteous indignation OP. Admit it.

Preach!

PAY 👏 YOUR 👏 STAFF 👏 A 👏 PROPPER 👏 WAGE
I love how many people use this an excuse not to tip.

You realize you're not going to change the system that already exists by fucking over the people stuck working in it, right?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Tipping shouldn't have to be a thing if staff were paid what they're worth - which is a lot. Being in an industry that isn't at all like the service industry I can say that I'd not be able to do their job and cope with the shit they have to cope with. A decent wage and some respect would be far more valuable than forcing them to practically beg for money.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I agree that tipping is largely dumb and should be phased out in favor of places actually paying living wages, but I'm not sure going after the wait staff is the method to produce change. The bellhops, etc, that's a bit different as they're already getting paid normal wages at least.

But in this instance, your action simply screws over Joe Schmo waiter but doesn't actually change anything useful.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

You're right, employees should make a living wage. Starve the system. It's the only way.

And fuck those employees (wait staff) in the meantime right? These corporations don't care about their employees, so ensuring that their employees suffer more is going to make them change their pay structure?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017

It isn't courage if OP isn't telling the service people why hes not tipping and they only notice after he's bounced

If you want to make a statement, say before you order, "I'm not tipping because I don't believe in it", if you don't or are too scared then you arent brave you are just a coward

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
You should only tip someone if they give you an exemplary service.
That's the whole point.

But Americans have to make shit weird.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
They math involved in tipping isn't that hard op... There are many legit complaints to be had with tipping culture, but being to lazy to math is a terrible one.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The outcome of tipping is racist both ways. (Servers of color get lower tips even after accounting for quality of service. I get shitty service for being a young black male even though heretofore I've tipped every time but once for exceptionally terrible service. I'll give them what they want now though.)
So tip Black waitstaff?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
"I'm going to help these employees make a living wage by not giving them the money that would bring them up to it!"

Just factor tipping into the cost and pretend it's a price hike. No point in quibbling about it when you're sitting down to eat.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You're just screwing the wait staff because you are too cheap to leave a tip.

Don't want to tip? Don't eat out. Or eat somewhere with no service.

If you want something from a sit down restaurant order it to go.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
"well, buddy. I know you make below minimum wage or minimum wage, but FUCK YOU I won't tip because the system is broken, man. I mean, they should pay you a living wage, but you see, I don't care. So suck it up!"

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
System sucks, these workers should get paid more, I agree, but I'm usually in the better position money wise so I always tip generously. Except for Lyft/Uber. They get 5 stars and that's it.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
you can stop tipping all you want as long as you stop using services that rely on tipped wages. it's not impossible. if you abhor tipping but still go out to restaurants with tipped waitstaff so you can stiff them you're an enormous asshole.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Starbucks keeps asking for tips on mobile orders, and sends me reminder notifications too.

The fuck?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I'm going to help these employees make a living wage by not giving them the money that would bring them up to it!"

Just factor tipping into the cost and pretend it's a price hike. No point in quibbling about it when you're sitting down to eat.
By the way, there will absolutely be a price hike on the menu if the food industry has to pay its employees more.

You're gonna pay the cost to mitigate the wage increase, most places barely keep their heads above water as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.