• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just for added context, TLOU Part 1 is a PS5 only title and Saints Row released on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Series S, Google Stadia and, Microsoft Windows.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Is this only based on one day (maybe two?) since it came out on a Friday?

And that seems pretty good based on all the platforms SR2 came out on.

Grakchawwaa

Mar 10, 2022
Anecdotal, but in my neck of the woods none of the usual stores have any in stock. Wonder how the digital charts look.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
There are deals for this game already in my country 14-15% slashes to its price physical

IwSguvQ.png

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Physical sales are like 30% of game sales these days, I don't even understand why they are used as a point of comparison.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I don't think ND did this Remake for 1st day sales. It's a game meant to sell for years along the HBO series

Jul 2, 2021
Sounds about right for a game which received it's 3rd version on the 3rd console.
It's a remake in the end. And it will keep doing its thing when the HBO show releases.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I don't think anyone is expecting this to come anywhere near the sales of the original TLOU or even TLOU2.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
also, the game is 80€ in europe. thats steep, especially in the current financial situation that most europeans are in right now.
and also: physical sales in the uk mean nothing.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
You have to bear in mind that this is only physical sales and year on year more and more people in the UK buy their games digitally.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just like with many of SIE's other first party titles, TLOU Part 1 will continue to sell gangbusters as more and more PS5s become available now that they're starting to get over supply constraints. Even moreso once the PC release occurs and a new audience is introduced to the franchise via the HBO series and maybe even the TLOU MP game.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
When digital is over 60% of the sales nowadays it's kind of meaningless. Half of SR but only on 1 platform and higher priced is not bad. I personally skipped it but would buy a hypothetical part 3 or factions in a heartbeat.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
also, the game is 80€ in europe. thats steep, especially in the current financial situation that most europeans are in right now.

It's 100 euros equivalent price in my local currency here, and I ain't paying that much for a single video game

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017

In France most shops sell it for 70 or even 60. That 80€ price is absurd and they know it.

Anecdotal, but in my neck of the woods none of the usual stores have any in stock. Wonder how the digital charts look.
It seems like that Sony has been doing more and more bare minimum orders at the launch of each of their games just so pre-orders could get covered. We already know just how massively imbalanced the digital ratio has been for them for a while now, but even I was surprised when our store got just one copy ahead of time.

I expect that GoW:R will be a different story since that is their big holiday game, but it is interesting to see how much less important physical sales have gotten for them over time, considering how things used to be back on the PS3 where you had first party titles that never made it onto the Store and general game availability on digital was spotty at best.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Good. Don't reward the pricing. With that said, there a lot of caveats to uk physical charts so who knows how well it sold. Though, the game will probably get a significant boost once the show comes out so it probably won't mean much in the long term.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It seems like that Sony has been doing more and more bare minimum orders at the launch of each of their games just so pre-orders could get covered. We already know just how massively imbalanced the digital ratio has been for them for a while now, but even I was surprised when our store got just one copy ahead of time.

I expect that GoW:R will be a different story since that is their big holiday game, but it is interesting to see how much less important physical sales have gotten for them over time, considering how things used to be back on the PS3 where you had first party titles that never made it onto the Store and general game availability on digital was spotty at best.

Well yeah, digital is far more commonplace in general now than it was back in the PS3 days where it was still relatively new. The market decides how they want to consume their games and more and more folks are opting for digital.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Looks like the Saints brought golf clubs to this fight.

I know it's meaningless for all the reasons others pointed out already, but I'm making the joke anyway

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Good. Don't reward the pricing. With that said, there a lot of caveats to uk physical charts so who knows how well it sold. Though, the game will probably get a significant boost once the show comes out so it probably won't mean much in the long term.

Why are you taking this information as a negative for the sales of the game?

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense.

Third release of the same game but this time with fresh coat of paint and it is only on PS5.

Regardless, its not a bad result considering it was made in a couple of years with a smaller team as far as we know.

Oct 29, 2017
No1 wants to pay the silly price they've set it at, if this was much cheaper it would have shifted more units. I'm waiting for a price drop to something below £40 or so.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I know some huge Last of Us fans and none of them were interested in paying 70 bucks to play the same game again but prettier

May 14, 2021
The fewer sales the better for this money grab. Still doesn't seem like terrible numbers as the tweet is attempting to frame it though.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Why are you taking this information as a negative for the sales of the game?
It was my understanding that Saints Rows' launch, while decent, wasn't particularly impressive. With that said, if you read my post, you'll see that I believe the game will get strong legs from the release of the show so it'll probably sell well over time. I'll add that I have nothing against the game whatsoever. My only problem with it is the pricing as it relates to Sony's business practices as a whole.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like the best scenario, all things considered.

A well produced project achieves success and being a full price enhanced re-release appears to have a dampening impact on sales potential.

Win-win.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
when 80+% of ps5 sales are digital, those discounts are not really a factor for most people.

I'm specifically talking about physical copies customers, myself included. Anyway it's more of a week 2 problem than a day 1 problem, of course hardcore fans will always be there.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Seems more damning for Saints Row IMO.
Is it?

Hasn't the Saints Row series as a whole only sold 13 million? Was it expected to sell a lot?

Bizarre to even be comparing TLOU to Saints Row in terms of sales on any metric. I get that the article did. But these reverse comparisons make zero sense too lol

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this just one day of sales compared to Saint's Row? Unless Saint's Row was also released last Friday?

Edit: And on a single platform compared to Saint's Row.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
No1 wants to pay the silly price they've set it at, if this was much cheaper it would have shifted more units. I'm waiting for a price drop to something below £40 or so.

🤷‍♂️
I bought it. Got the deluxe version that came up to $112 CAD with tax, which equates to 74 GBP

It was my understanding that Saints Rows' launch, while decent, wasn't particularly impressive. With that said, if you read my post, you'll see that I believe the game will get strong legs from the release of the show so it'll probably sell well over time. I'll add that I have nothing against the game whatsoever. My only problem with it is the pricing as it relates to Sony's business practices as a whole.

Well yeah, but this is a remake which was basically a side project for Naughty Dog being sold on a single platform that's been supply constrained up until now, and we're comparing it against a brand new title from a franchise that launched on multiple platforms across multiple generations.

Without any numbers to look at, doing half of Saints Row's numbers doesn't seem all bad. Especially since it's physical only and we know PS5 digital figures are the majority. Saying, "Good. Don't reward the pricing" seems a wee bit shortsighted once we put everything into context, especially since we have no real numbers to go by, and this is just the tiniest overall window into the overall sales of the title.