Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Always likes the 2nd "overworld" theme that sounded a lot like "Come Together" by the Beatles. Usually doesn't get name checked in the music sound alike videos I've seen so it may just be me
Ha, I don't think I would have ever made that connection but I can hear it, now that you mention it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I used to play this on a commodore 64... With a shitty joystick. If you thought it was hard on the NES ...

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its an incredibly flawed game and yes, more than likely its half a different game but its so memorable. Loved it as a kid, was obsessed with it, it could really use a remake.

Oct 27, 2017
Konami did a lot of odd shit with adaptations back then, see also Goonies II. They made one of the kids a fuckin mermaid for no god damned reason

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
There was a time when the only NES game available at my Grandmother's house was Friday the 13th. Without the internet or even a manual, the first several attempts were all miserable failures. Eventually, I started picking up on what I needed to do to make killing Jason easier. The big one of course was lighting the fireplace in every cabin to get the torch. Also, using medicine on the other counselors made it far more effective. In time, I learned where to strategically place counselors, so I was no longer caught in the middle of nowhere when the kids' camp was being attacked.

It took a lot of work, especially since at the time I didn't really "get" Nintendo games that weren't clones of Mario or Zelda. Eventually though, I was able to fully clear Friday the 13th, killing Jason the third (and final) time. RIP Mark, he was the MVP.

Friday the 13th NES receives a lot of criticism, some of which I agree with, but Atlus still deserves kudos for their work. They created an intriguing game.
There's something to be said that a lot of early LJN games actually did have some good things to them and were just held back by small things here and there until the company got bought out and then actually did become the low rent licensed game shithouse it became.