• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

What if all the crushes you ever had, found out how you felt about them…all at once? Lara Jean Song Covey's love life goes from imaginary to out of control when the love letters for every boy she's ever loved - five in all - are mysteriously mailed out. From New York Times Bestselling Author, Jenny Han, the film adaption of the popular YA novel stars actress Lana Condor (Alita: Battle Angel, X-Men: Apocalypse) and Noah Centineo (Sierra Burgess Is A Loser, The Fosters).

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yoo a female asian lead?! As someone who's asian that's really cool to see. Will be looking forward to this.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I thought this was that new Kevin Spacey movie for a second

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sucker for coming-of-age stories, but this seems to be directed very much at teens and the trailer didn't show anything particularly interesting. Also the overly privileged scenery (giant houses, cars, whatever) makes me queasy. Plus Netflix just has a terrible track record.

Will wait until I see some reviews, but I ain't holding my breath.

Oct 29, 2017
The cinematography in this movie is actually very good, for example during one of the fight sequences the two main characters are divided by the dirt dividers, another example is how the shot transitions cleanly from overhead to facing the characters head on.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah man, this is a movie? I was hoping a TV show. I'll still watch it.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is this show one of those Asian girl pines for a white guy type of gigs?

This is an adaptation of a book by an asian american author. None of the love interests in the source material were asian. She did respond to the criticism though:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/t...y-han-no-asian-male-love-interest-1201995975/

At the very least, however you feel about not seeing asian men in this, the author should get props for sticking to her guns and going with the only production company willing to make the movie without changing the lead character to a non-Asian:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/opinion/sunday/crazy-rich-asians-movie-idol.html

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to check this out. I gotta support all of the Asian representation I can.

Unfortunate about no former Asian male love interest though.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To All the (non-asian) Boys I've loved

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I think this was the first movie that I've seen with a high RT that I thought was crap.

I really liked Lana Condor's performance but I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not a teen anymore but it was just boring.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch this because I want more Asian representation. I would have liked at least one asian male love interest oh well.

Last edited:

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Missus put it on yesterday and we enjoyed it, this isn't really my type of movie but I thought it was fun. My partner really liked it because when my sister came over for dinner she was trying to do a re-run lol with my sister but as far as these types of movies go I thought it was great.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it over the weekend and I liked it, mostly due to the lead girl's performance. She's great.

These kids are fucking tho loaded, geez. Maybe I'm watching the wrong YA adaptations but every one I've seen lately is full of rich ass kids doing rich kid stuff.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I saw it over the weekend and I liked it, mostly due to the lead girl's performance. She's great.

These kids are fucking tho loaded, geez. Maybe I'm watching the wrong YA adaptations but every one I've seen lately is full of rich ass kids doing rich kid stuff.
I'm not trying to be depressed about my poor ass life

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I thought it was a pretty solid high school rom/com. Lana Condor and her character's family are great in it, but I have to admit, Noah Centineo kind of steals the show with his charm. It's just hard to not like him.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
This is an adaptation of a book by an asian american author. None of the love interests in the source material were asian. She did respond to the criticism though:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/t...y-han-no-asian-male-love-interest-1201995975/
That's as big of a non-response as I've ever seen.

"I get you guys are frustrated. I really do! But that's how I wrote it.. what could I do? Change it?"

I'm glad that there's the representation of an Asian female lead, but this just serves to further perpetuate the emasculation and asexualization of Asian men as even potential love interests. It's especially frustrating when it comes FROM other Asians. But hey, I guess if we're comparing this to throwing Asian men under a bus Amy Tan style, I guess this is better.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I like the concept.
A bit sad that an asian man isn't an option for her. But hey, i can't force a fictional character to fall in love with someone she's not attracted to.

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Weird phrasing. Most are white, yes, that I can understand. But why is it important that her love interests be the same race as her own?
They don't all have to be. It's just unfortunate that not even one of them is. It's important to see asian men as love interests because Hollywood has a habit of emasculating them.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Looks like any dumb teen comedy they've been making for the last 5 years. Seems light enough to be watchable.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
While stories centered around Asian women that have romance don't have to include Asian guys, it still strikes me as weird that this story doesn't have any. I believe this story is not an autobiography, but based on life experiences.

That means the story is fictional. So the way the five boys she crushes on (four white, one black) were written was a deliberate choice. However, this book wasn't written in a vacuum. I'm guessing that the author, Jenny Han, is aware of Asian American issues, including those of men.

While she is free to write the book however she wants (I mean, it's HER book), unfortunately this choice has certain implications, whether she likes it or not. Which is why you see comments like "why doesn't she crush on an Asian guy", and other such criticisms.

And for someone on the outside who isn't aware of Asian American issues, watching this might subconsciously reinforce stereotypes & ideas like "Asian girls don't like Asian guys" and stuff like that. But I believe the root cause of this is that there is so little AsianAm representation. I don't think it's fair for Jenny Han's story to bear the shoulder of all Asian representation, but given how little we do have, it kind of ends up like that.

However, in general, if we had more movies and media (mainstream or indie) depicting couples of all kinds of ethnicities together, this wouldn't be as much of an issue. Unfortunately, we're not there yet.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird phrasing. Most are white, yes, that I can understand. But why is it important that her love interests be the same race as her own?
Because Asian females in white media are almost always portrayed with white males and if it features an Asian male, they're usually white washed.

This thread is bonkers compared to the Crazy Rich Asians thread about white washing. It's almost like a confirmation.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cute movie, I was in the mood for a rom-com this weekend and this really did it for me. One of the better Netflix movie productions I've watched.

Can't nail where I know the father from - looked at IMDB and apparently he was in one (or all) of the "God's not Dead" movies? I thought those were "your careers dead for sure" movies.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The criticism seems so cynical. Why must we be mad about interracial relationships. Especially since it plays in the US? If it were in Asia and they were all white you could at least suspect some fetishization or whitewashing.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Was a great rom com. You can see how the story's going to end, but it was still really enjoyable. 8/10

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
I saw the trailer with my friends while looking for something to watch. One of my friends(She is Chinese)Basically said: "White fetish much?" So yeah, she didn't dig it.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Really couldn't have 1 of the 5 be an asian dude, really? Smh.