Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This might just be a point for discussion, but there might be some merit to it.

I read a book (The Engine of God) where there is a very short note about a character in the book (that isn't an active character IIRC) makes a statement that to combat the climate change, some sort of eco dictatorship would be needed, where it would rule with iron first, making decisions without all the overhead and political maneuvering that is in today's society.

Would you say there is some merit to this? Let take a scenario where you have a group of very few individuals, or a single individual takes total control of the world and with a firm grip starts combating the climate change. It would be unfair, it would be undemocratic, people would lose their jobs and livelihood... people would starve and die. But the climate would change for the better. Would this be a good trade off? The eco dictatorship would of course be needed for many decades to come, but either when we come to a technological breakthrough or a climate that has been reverted to a good level would the eco dictatorship end.

I would say it is an interesting philosophy to allow something so abhorrent to combat a global crisis, but it would be more effective* due to less "overhead".

* These changes would of course be based on science in my scenario that is.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
so eco fascism?
tenor.gif

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Eco dictatorship. really reminds me of how some of the newer fascist parties try to hang up with the eco crowd (as a way to "protect the motherland") making eco-fascism a thing.

Also, a dictatorship would never be fully based on science because they need to be kept in power (and force people not to do what they want).

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Eco dictatorship. really reminds me of how some of the newer fascist parties try to hang up with the eco crowd (as a way to "protect the motherland") making eco-fascism a thing.

Also, a dictatorship would never be fully based on science because they need to be kept in power (and force people not to do what they want).

For sure, I am more thinking an utopian eco dictatorship here, where they actually are doing what was given to them. But yes, I think in the end, since humans are corrupted beings in general, would lead to disaster.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, I am more thinking an utopian eco dictatorship here, where they actually are doing what was given to them. But yes, I think in the end, since humans are corrupted beings in general, would lead to disaster.

It doesn't make sense even in the utopian model. You're talking about a dictator who lets people starve and die. What's the utopian way to do that, just make sure the right people starve and die? Guess what, that's just regular fascist dictatorship. That's what all the fascists think they're doing.

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It doesn't make sense even in the utopian model. You're talking about a dictator who lets people starve and die. What's the utopian way to do that, just make sure the right people starve and die? Guess what, that's just regular fascist dictatorship. That's what all the fascists think they're doing.

It let people starve and die, for the greator good in this scenario.

Like the old "chose who dies or all dies", either all dies, or some dies. Sure, not a good outcome either way but one is better then the other.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I suppose I don't see why it's functionally any different than people wanting so-called benevolent dictatorships for all of their pet issues. It's very easy to fantasize about a god figure coming and implementing ideal policy if you put aside pesky things like coalition building, democracy, or basic human rights.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
It let people starve and die, for the greator good in this scenario.

Like the old "chose who dies or all dies", either all dies, or some dies. Sure, not a good outcome either way but one is better then the other.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. That is what Hitler thought he was doing. Killing the right people to make the world a better place and prevent the eventual collapse of civilization.

Rethink this!

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I suppose I don't see why it's functionally any different than people wanting so-called benevolent dictatorships for all of their pet issues. It's very easy to fantasize about a god figure coming and implementing ideal policy if you put aside pesky things like coalition building, democracy, or basic human rights.

I mean, in this case, which might not be clear I agree, would those "pesky" things matter? Since it would all end if nothing is done.

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yes, I understand what you're saying. That is what Hitler thought he was doing. Killing the right people to make the world a better place and prevent the eventual collapse of civilization.

Rethink this!

To point out, I don't believe this to be a way forward since it would be unfeasible, but an interesting point to discuss either way.

Difference with Hitler is that he singled out a group of people.

Here it would be global, indiscriminatory to your beliefs and whatnots.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
People don't understand climate change, they don't fear it. It's just a concept or fake news to many. They do however know about dictatorships from the Star Wars movies!

Climate change needs to be perceived as the bigger threat for something like an eco dictatorship to work, which is not the case... but in time, we might get there. If we want to or not.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I mean, in this case, which might not be clear I agree, would those "pesky" things matter? Since it would all end if nothing is done.
I disagree (and so does science, currently) with the idea that "it will all end". There will be many very serious problems associated with the climate changing, but life on earth ending won't be one of them.

And there is no reasonable way to "logically" determine which people are exterminated in such a scenario. A lot of the "overpopulation" paranoia ends up with - surprise! - advocacy of eliminating large groups of people who just so happen to live and have high birthrates in Africa, southeast Asia, or South America.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
To point out, I don't believe this to be a way forward since it would be unfeasible, but an interesting point to discuss either way.

Difference with Hitler is that he singled out a group of people.

Here it would be global, indiscriminatory to your beliefs and whatnots.

If the dictator is selecting people at random to die, it is neither utopian noefficient.

If they are selecting people based on some criteria of "efficiency," they are singling out a group of people based on the probably unintended consequences of that criteria.

Again, fascists all throughout history have believed they were wielding power and ending lives for the greater good and in the face of a serious need.

Status
Not open for further replies.