Is follow your passion one of the worst advice ever?

• Yes

Votes: 376 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 580 60.7%

• Total voters

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
Telling a kid to follow their passion is fine, so long as you explain to them that not all passions will actually lead to a career that will provide you with a living wage or economic security. Not all degrees are worth following unless you are ok with potentially being dirt poor or are willing to accept all the passion in the world won't matter if the only job you can get with your degree is in retail or waiting tables. I WISH adults had steered me toward a more practical degree. I've spent the entirety of my career making less than $35K/year while my fellow peers are making two or three times that. Right now, I'm working full time and studying IT to get certified. If I actually can get certified and land a job, I'll automatically be making a lot more than I do now, even though I have a college degree and well over a decade of post college work experience.
Similar situation at the moment. Turn 27 next month, working a dead end retail job after getting a bachelors degree in political science. I was never furloughed this year but I am seeing a loss of hours. This coming paycheck in 2 days will be the first without my hazard pay, which was essentially covering the loss of labor hours. I went from 40/week to 36/week. It's not much per check, but it does add up. Funny enough tonight I started looking into software and web development certificates. It's gonna be rough but it's the only chance I really have right now.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think it's better advice in the long run than most people realize, but it depends on so many factors:
- What your passion is and how realistic it is to live off it.
- How truly passionate you are about it, especially compared to most other people (it's probably easier to be the most passionate carpenter than the most passionate rock star, due to how many people want to be the latter).
- How good you are at learning new things.
- Whether there's any hard cap on how good you can become at it (e.g. I would probably never be able to make it as a professional athlete no matter how passionate I was about it).

There's probably some mathematical formula you could apply to determine if it's worth it for you or not, but in my experience, intrinsic, enduring motivation is a much more important long-term factor for success than many people realize, and certainly more important than just "what you're good at". But it has to be the kind of passion that fuels you to improve your craft over years and decades, and until you're knee-deep in it and with a few years of experience behind you, it's very hard to tell if you're going to keep loving it indefinitely, or if it's going to eventually fizzle out.

Besides success itself, however, there's the question of happiness. Are you willing to earn less and lead a humbler life if that means you get to work on what you really love? Conversely, are you able to work on something you don't much care about, if this means earning more money to lead the life you want in your free time?

There's really no one-size-fits-all answer; a lot of it is about trial and error. But I think, in the long run, there's probably more people that regret not giving their passion a shot, than people regretting doing so and failing. The latter, at least, won't spend their lives thinking "what if..." and sighing.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Follow your passion if it's at all viable. Better to try than regret never trying later. If it's not something realistic, try to find a job that doesn't completely destroy your soul and maybe still pursue your passion in your free time. Who knows, maybe opportunity will show up in the future to make something more out of it.

Work to live, don't live to work.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
If I followed my passion, I'd be a homeless dancer right now. My parents were right to insist I do something employable lol.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a balancing act. Follow your passion, but know when to compromise. If you're a singer and your dream is to be the next Taylor Swift then pursue that for a bit. If you clearly aren't on the path there, is there another way you can work music into your career? The trick is recognizing when you should make that pivot from the huge dream to the smaller-scale version of the dream, I think.

I don't think it's a good idea to try to funnel young people into the dullest and safest career routes possible. Otherwise nobody would achieve anything great, ever.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
The best advice I can give is go to a community college and get an associates in general studies and then use the money you saved to try a bunch of shit and find what you like most.

High school seniors are too dumb to figure out what they want to do. Case in point, me.

leeky

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with what others have said. Not making your passion your career is an option. Ive ignored my passion for illustration for years while building a career as a product manager. I've become unhappy with work, but it's gotten better as I've started practicing drawing again in my free time.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Follow your passion blindly and don't think about anything else ever, and just let life carry you is a bad advice. Success is a mixture of skill, dedication, pragmatism and luck. For everyone, in everything. Some people are extremely lucky, bet everything on something that is extremely risky, and get it. Some people don't. Some people will play it safe, but never get lucky.

Follow your passion in itself isn't a bad advice in itself. Just don't be dumb about it.

Wolfwood0

Oct 27, 2017
Maaannnn.... I would love to see you people walk into a low income marginalized high school, tell them to "follow you dreams" instead of something normal and stable....

Oh and not feel like piece of privileged shit.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think another caveat is that just because something is 100% aligned with what you're passionate about doesn't mean you can't find a way to work your passion into it somehow. It's all about balance, find a way to have a job you won't hate with every fiber of your being while still managing to make a living

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Me before college: wow I'm so excited to study what I like
Me now: I hate this shit

So yeah, kinda... if it's an obligation, I won't like it anymore. I imagine I would hate games if I was a dev.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Following your passion without an actual process or system is pretty much useless. It's empty advice that means nothing.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
"Follow your passion" is fine advice so long as it comes with "...but don't abandon your common sense".

Your life isn't a Disney movie and good things probably aren't going to come to you just because you really want them to. Be sensible, do your research, have a backup plan, etc.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
But something I can't stand: parents pushing kids to do the same job as theirs.

My father makes me feel so guilty and it sucks, even if he still supports me and it isn't exactly his intention.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
If I didn't have my passion to follow, I'd be sunk. You're right that focusing on what you're good at is always superb advice, but letting your drive take you where it wants to go shouldn't be underestimated.

Honestly, the best advice to give anyone is "be lucky."

Oct 27, 2017
As long as your passion doesn't involve being an employee at a big company, you will feel exploited and/or like the actual tasks you work on are pointless in the big picture. My general advice to young people is if they have a passionate personality, then they should figure out their own thing that they want to do but if they are cautious and just want safety, then just find a stable company with good benefits.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Depends on how practical your passion is i guess. You'll be working most of your life, just do something you are passionate about about instead of working in a field that you dislike and being miserable.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a middle ground to be had.

You need a job that pays the bills, but you shouldn't sell your soul for it. But, if possible, neither should you spend your life working in a field that is of absolutely no interest to you, because then you'll bore yourself to death.

If you like something that can make money, like programming, then you can get a job related to that field, and you'd have a job that at least has some portion that you like. You might not be doing programming that you specifically would do on your own, but there's hopefully at least some part of your job that you enjoy.

If you like something that is not a practical career for most, such as playing in a band, then don't force the issue and try to make a living doing it, because tying your livelihood to something like that will add a practical aspect to a creative process that can kill your passion for it, and still might not make you enough money to get by in the first place.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
It's simple advice that comes with obvious caveats. One of those things where it's hard to have a real digestible conversation about it, and most of the details can go unsaid. For example, it should be obvious that your "passion" is monetizeable in some way, relatively practical, and frankly, you have to be decent at whatever you're passionate about. I could love playing the guitar, but if I love it and still suck ass at it, probably not something I could make a living doing.

Ultimately, it's a statement that just means "find something you love doing, not something you think will make you the most money, because chasing money will burn you out fast", and that message has a ton of merit.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I will tell my child to do whatever makes her happy. Even if it's some dumb poor paying job.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Always go for it. You have one life to live. If it's truly your passion and there is a career to be made there, you owe it to yourself to try. Better to try and fail than to go through a life of "what ifs"

Mintaro

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Maaannnn.... I would love to see you people walk into a low income marginalized high school, tell them to "follow you dreams" instead of something normal and stable....

Oh and not feel like piece of privileged shit.

So what you're saying is that because I came form a low income, marginalized high school I shouldn't follow my dreams.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
As a guy who found his passion in his 30's, here are some thoughts:

- Everyone who says passion alone won't do it is of course correct: There is no panacea to success/fulfillment/happiness.

- What success DOES require is being driven, working hard, adapting, learning, and more. Any of these you DON'T push forward yourself with your drive, gets filled in with luck. Corollary: You won't be able to push everything forward yourself.

- What passion CAN do is help you with your drive. Everything from getting started to keep your head up when your work gets tough, is hard. And unless you're astronomically lucky, things WILL be hard.

- You should probably try to define for yourself what your goals actually are, be it success/happiness/fulfillment/something else, and try to learn how you can work to make it all happen.

- Advice and guidance is everywhere, but it's always only raw material; If you're relying on them to show you the way, consider the idea that your problem isn't the lack of guidance, but you not putting in the work to refine/make something of it. How much of it is you being unable to do it vs you not willing to do it? That's a question for yourself.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Work to live, don't live to work. If your job isn't fulfilling at some level, or if it doesn't afford you the resources to be fulfilled in your personal life, it's nothing but a waste of time you'll never get back. Your march to the grave should at least be rewarding.

Your passions are important. They should be cultivated whether or not you can make them your career.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the passion.

Make sure you're passionate about something that will afford you a comfortable lifestyle. If your passionate about something that isn't lucrative or in-demand, find a new passion.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I ever wanted to be was a writer, and if I hadn't followed that passion into related careers, and instead taken the quickest and easiest paths to more money and job stability, I'd be miserable as a professional today. After 21 years of writing professionally, working in marketing, technical documentation, and freelance journalism, I remember each day how lucky I am to have a job I like, instead of a job I hate but can't quit, that I only ever do for a paycheck.

You should definitely follow your passions, when you let them lead you to realistic, achievable goals. It's when you let your passions overtake your sensibilities that you begin to get in trouble.
But in your case, you didn't stop at "lol my passion is writing about video games" or "I wanna write novels" - you took your passion for writing and applied it to fields where people actually PAY for writers. I think that's the key here. Passion is great, but it needs to also conform to what will make you a living. The non-lucrative passion stuff can wait until you've got food on the table.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Iunno. It's fine 'advice' as long as you're honest with yourself. If you suck at what you're passionate about (which is something a lot of people aren't willing to admit and will therefore never improve), then don't do it.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No,
But the best advice is:

Follow your passion, but make sure you have a day job to start off supporting yourself first.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I think if the thing your passionate is reasonable to make a living off of, then go for it. Passion won't mean everything magically works out, but it will likely motivate you to work more (and have a better time doing it), which in the end is one of the biggest factors to success. That said, following your passion could be a bad idea if you throw everything aside and make risky choices for it.

It's also not all or nothing; people find ways to do something stable that enables them to spend a lot of time doing something else they love. Just do whatever mix is right for your situation if your able

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it depends on your passion.

It is shitty way of expressing a very important thought: doing what you like may make you happier overall than doing something purely for money.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
WORST advice ever?

That'd be "You should get a 4-year college degree before you get a real job."

Barring any kind of job that requires certifications/licenses to perform, it's largely a giant waste of your time and money.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Yes.

It's good advice if your passion is something you can monetize very easily. If your passion is anything artistic or humanities? pls do not follow my footsteps, get a degree in something useful and chase a career there.

It is more important for you to realize that pieces of your passions can make you flexible and good at a wide variety of skills, rather than simply chasing the one thing you did as a hobby for a career. Diversify your skillset.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Man this thread makes me sad—realizing that so many people can't pursue their ACTUAL passions because it won't make enough money to live comfortably.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Make money. I accepted I wouldn't be able to follow my passion and support my family many years ago. Instead, I just have jobs that pay much better than where I'd rather work.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Having a go at stuff can be a good learning experience when you're young, even if it ends in failure. I tried a few different things after high school and even though they didn't work out, I'm still glad I did them because it lead me to where I am now.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
If you pursue a well-paying career with good work-life balance (they exist) you'll have more than enough time and money to pursue your passion on the side. If it's well-paying enough you might even get to retire early and pursue your passion full-time. In summary, it doesn't have to be one or the other, but pursuing a well-paying job gives you MUCH more flexibility than pursuing a passion that's not easily monetized.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
Prudentially speaking it may be poor advice in certain contexts given that not all passions are lucrative and not all people are good at their passions. But I feel like that observation just begs the more important normative question of whether it's good for people to follow their passions (I believe the answer is clearly yes) and if so what it means to live in a society where market forces often make doing so impossible from a prudential perspective. My position is that we should strive for an economic system where "follow your passion" is perfectly sound advice in most every context, and that presently capital and markets create incentive structures which wrongly discourage people from taking up their passions.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
My passion is the piano but there were a few years when I quit as a teen and fell behind my peers; now I have resumed and practice around 90 minutes a day and have a brilliant teacher. Maybe one day when I'm much older I can become a teacher of the piano myself. But tbh I am actually glad I didn't go the conservatory; instead I am in final year studying Math and CS. Whilst I wouldn't say either Math or CS are my passions yet; the future still feels alive with many exciting opportunities!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Worst advice ever*

*if you're graduating college into a massive and protracted recession.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost but not as bad as "Pursue your dreams". I think "never stop learning " or "always be knowledge hungry" would be more succinct but not as catchy