MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Very true - but combining your comments and bringing it back to the OP: even if you generally enjoy your job (i.e., working for someone; not running your own business), working nights and weekends at that job is typically going to be a losing proposition with respect to future compensation and present opportunity costs for the vast majority of people. There are a lot of presuppositions in the OP tweets, but I believe this is the concept they are referencing.

Oh yea fuck that. I'm not into giving my employer anymore of my time than is explicitly required. My off time is my time to either relax or work on me.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
My first professional programming job, coworkers were getting upset with me cause I left at 5, and that was before the bosses would leave. And I was making $35k a year.

Now I'm making six figures and work maybe 37.5 hours a week cause my boss trusts me to get stuff done. Just cause you can't get your weekly work done in 40 doesnt mean your other coworkers can't. Stop measuring productivity by hours worked

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Currently working anywhere from 60-80+ hours a week. Such is the life of a resident physician. I reminisce fondly about the days I had a regular people job

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. That doesn't check out. There are plenty of people who have to do that just to survive.

Nov 23, 2017
I agree with the thread and most posters, the OP tweet is garbage.

But I feel like a lot of people are missing that they need to basically run their career as their own business even if its not formal. That includes knowing how much per hour you are worth, but also how much you deem these marginal hours worth. Many people on Era have positions where they would benefit immensely from seeing their career and skill set differently. I know I did. everyone should be a contractor of their own skill set when it comes to negotiations.

If a job offered me 30% above market rate but had an expectation of working a lot of hours that would be fine, but of course the failure is that its never up front and sometimes outright duplicitous what they tell you when they hire you.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Obviously stupid advice which doesn't follow through on the majority of cases.

That said, I actually did work nights and weekends at my previous job and it helped me tremendously. Ended up moving from a bottom rung associate to a senior position in only 1 year. I was all over the place learning, fixing, making connections, and just being available which goes a long way. Our team played video games together after work sometimes, and I would always see them online playing Guild Wars or something while I was neck deep in some issue.

Something something bootstraps, whatever. Work culture in America is undeniably toxic as fuck and grinds people into the ground, I would never dispute that. But that's the game... and if you realistically want to get ahead, well, you play the game. I see lots of posters saying fuck their job they aren't working an extra minute. That's fine, you got other priorities, or maybe you just want to fight the system. Whatever. But ask yourself honestly: What if you put in an extra 2 hours a night and a few on the weekend to study, go take classes at university, get a cert, or help out with a project? Would you get ahead? Would it set you up to leave your job for a better one? The answer is probably yes. So then... take it if you want it.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Obviously stupid advice which doesn't follow through on the majority of cases.

That said, I actually did work nights and weekends at my previous job and it helped me tremendously. Ended up moving from a bottom rung associate to a senior position in only 1 year. I was all over the place learning, fixing, making connections, and just being available which goes a long way. Our team played video games together after work sometimes, and I would always see them online playing Guild Wars or something while I was neck deep in some issue.

Something something bootstraps, whatever. Work culture in America is undeniably toxic as fuck and grinds people into the ground, I would never dispute that. But that's the game... and if you realistically want to get ahead, well, you play the game. I see lots of posters saying fuck their job they aren't working an extra minute. That's fine, you got other priorities, or maybe you just want to fight the system. Whatever. But ask yourself honestly: What if you put in an extra 2 hours a night and a few on the weekend to study, go take classes at university, get a cert, or help out with a project? Would you get ahead? Would it set you up to leave your job for a better one? The answer is probably yes. So then... take it if you want it.
You are lucky in comparison to most. Typically people that work hard and put in extra hours to impress people get exploited and worked harder until they break. Many jobs promote the lazy people because the hardest workers are more difficult to replace. Granted the type of job field plays a big part in this.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
What do you define as successful? As someone with no managerial ambitions, I consider myself pretty successful. At 25:

I make a little over 6 figures;
I'm highly educated;
I have great work-life balance, never having to work more than 40 hours per week;
I take at least two vacations per year

So in the sense that I'm financially independent and manage to maintain a fulfilling life outside of work, I consider myself pretty successful.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You are lucky in comparison to most. Typically people that work hard and put in extra hours to impress people get exploited and worked harder until they break. Many jobs promote the lazy people because the hardest workers are more difficult to replace. Granted the type of job field plays a big part in this.

This is going to be a difficult area to come across objective data. I work in IT fwiw. In this field certifications are highly valued and all it takes is some extra effort. Want to make more money 100% guaranteed? Go get a CISSP. Welcome to six figures.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering what ratioed means?

On Twitter, it means having a poor likes-to-comments ratio. Basically, if there are more comments than likes on a given tweet, it means the tweet is a pretty bad take and people are letting the poster know about it. It means people are going out of their way to not like the tweet but still post a reaction.

tl;dr: if you get ratioed, chances are your take is very bad.

The only other case where that happens, AFAIK anyway, is when the tweet basically says "give me ideas for such and such" and people are just replying to the request.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
On Twitter, it means having a poor likes-to-comments ratio. Basically, if there are more comments than likes on a given tweet, it means the tweet is a pretty bad take and people are letting the poster know about it. It means people are going out of their way to not like the tweet but still post a reaction.

tl;dr: if you get ratioed, chances are your take is very bad.

The only other case where that happens, AFAIK anyway, is when the tweet basically says "give me ideas for such and such" and people are just replying to the request.
Oh ok thanks!

Oct 26, 2017
This is so fucking stupid, success isn't a video game mechanic where you put in x amount of time for y reward. Success comes with luck and work.

People greatly underestimate the influence of luck.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I know someone who works at Northrop Grumman and apparently everyone there is working 16 hour days, 6 days a week. Fuck that shit.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
If I don't enjoy the work, I'm not working extra days, especially if you don't pay me overtime

a company, no matter how 'family' orientated or fun loving willget rid of you when they need too.

I remember having a boss say we were all lazy because we didn't want to work Saturdays ( 6 days a week). Turns out it was because if we worked Saturdays he could too, and he only wanted to work Saturdays because he had no friends or social life. He just wanted to work work work

fuck the grind honestly. Work and enjoy it, but never sacrifice your mental or social life to feel like you just have to 'secure' a job

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the industry. Some places are open on the weekend so you are going to be working weekends (retail for example). If you are working an office job, there is a good chance you will be working Monday to Friday, but that isn't a guarantee.

I really don't see why this tweet would generate any controversy.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the unspoken rules of corporate life. If you enjoy or rather need the job/career you will work the hours. Otherwise you will find something else that offers a better work life balance.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the industry. Some places are open on the weekend so you are going to be working weekends (retail for example). If you are working an office job, there is a good chance you will be working Monday to Friday, but that isn't a guarantee.

I really don't see why this tweet would generate any controversy.
i dont think "working weekends" means working weekends instead of weekdays, its working both weekdays and weekends. So instead of M-F its M-M. Same thing with nights. Its not that people are off during the day and coming in to work at night but working all day and then through the night.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never received as much as a pat on the back from management for showing initiative or working extra hours. Hard working reliable people only get one thing: exploited. I put in my scheduled hours and then leave.

I spent quite a few years travelling heavily for work at two different jobs in my 20s. I spent so much time on the road, in the air, and just generally away from home. What did that get me career-wise? In the first job, they tried to force me to move to take a role permanently far from home; I said no and left. The second job, I left before I was about to be laid off since they didn't need us anymore.

All that extra work, time, and initiative in taking the shit assignments and long travel. What was it worth? Absolutely nothing. I wouldn't do it again.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Everyone's experiences are different but I did this when I was a bit younger and unmarried and it put me on pathway that led me to a position where I can provide for my family to have comfortable life, I'd say it's a matter of where and who you work for.

If your bosses are assholes then you were most likely never going anywhere anyways, for me I was fortunate my bosses appreciated it and knew I could always be counted on, and did reward me. Mine of course is a rare case, but just know who your working for and if they aren't bending over backwards to appreciate you, fuck em.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
How come these weird tweets on QoL issues are always from CEOs of some crypto thing whose actual product is completely inscrutable?

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I worked nights and weekends and holidays for years, and I'm still nowhere. Only lost time with friends and family

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You know I kinda agree with the original tweet though not as black or white. People willing to get shit done get noticed and eventually promoted. That said I realize my perspective is limited to my experience and is anecdotal to my industry.

I work in a very fast paced industry and there's times that things just have to get done, hell or high water. Overall my department has very little overtime but the ones I can count on are few and far between when crunch time happens. Coincidentally they're also my best employees, not just because of their work ethic but their creativity, drive, and analytics.

Then there's the 9-5er who for theost part do their job but that's it. Even during work hours they tend to not go the extra mile or try new things. They just do what they're supposed to do and that's it. Nothing wrong with that but if I only had those types of employees our platform and technology would be stagnant and we'd be out of jobs.

Employees are a bell curve. Most fall in the middle, they're the heart of what we do but the ones on the right of the curve are the future leaders and innovators.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The last time I was told that I was expected to work overtime for free (immediately after layoffs, too), I started looking for work elsewhere. Fuck that.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't seem to realise that the consensus has shifted from the belief that figures like Gandhi and Thatcher were able to spearhead social change because of their roles in the broader conditions they were operating in, to a recognition that they were actually what is known as "10x politicians". These are politicians that can achieve up to ten times as much social change in any given moment of rupture compared to the average politician.

You're really doing your PredictIt account a disservice if you don't know how to recognise a 10x politician. These are the ones who when a new ideology is forming are already experimenting and tinkering with it, before any documentation is released. As the tweet mentions, they often work odd and long hours and take their work home with them, because to them it's like a challenge. Also: have a look at their shoes! A 10x politician usually wears smart but comfortable footwear, and it's often worn down from long hours door knocking, pacing corridors whilst having intense conversations and being thrown at hapless staffers.

I understood this reference.gif

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Ive spent over a decade now in the auto sales business. Done pretty well with it all things considered.

But, for the longest time so much of it was "how much could you be at work and not go insane".

Everyone from the sales managers on down had this idea that you had to spend every waking hour at the dealership to make any money. 50-60 hours a week was the norm.

It got to a point where I just decided enough was enough. No more sacrificing my days off for "one more sale", or missing my kids even for that "next bump in bonus".

It just wasnt worth it.

I got out of that dealership, and found a better (management) position on a different dealer (thats growing) with more stable pay.

Sure the massive checks wont be coming, but neither will the less than minimum wage ones. (%100 commission. The way of a true sales warrior)

I get a salary and then a monthly bonus based on the dealerships overall performance. Oh, and weekends off.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Work really hard in your 20s to enjoy your life in your 60s when your body can't do as much and you get tired way faster.

CannonBallBob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any teachers in here deal with this type of attitude from colleagues, evaluators, or admins?

The amount of people I've met in the profession who say "hey, I work all night because I care more about the kids" or "I spend 500 dollars on my classroom to give me all" bring down professionalism and respect of teachers.

Oct 27, 2017
Changing the world for the better has much more to do with what you are working on and less about how many total hours you work a week. American work culture is so up its own ass that it cares less about the direction you are headed in and more about how quickly you arrive there. Efficiency at the expense of efficacy.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I worked 75+ hour weeks with double shifts and nightshifts from 20 till 28

Now working an 8-5 in a comfy office due to being recognized for hard work and persistence

So it can pay off, for like 0.05% of workers

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with the original tweet but only because I feel that to be truly successful you need to be doing something that you're so passionate about that you want to work nights and weekends. I love my job so much and find it so rewarding that often I'll work nights and weekends because it's more fun and rewarding than other things I would be doing then not out of any duty or requirement. I also have to say I think I'm pretty fucking good at it and have been quite successful. I rarely find it stressful and also have other interests too and take vacations and so on but I just love what I do.

Changing the world for the better has much more to do with what you are working on and less about how many total hours you work a week. American work culture is so up its own ass that it cares less about the direction you are headed in and more about how quickly you arrive there. Efficiency at the expense of efficacy.

I also agree with this though, I'm always trying to work smarter, not harder

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
b5344f283c8c89cff70830a13ae45464.jpg

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I did that.
Now I'm 34 with 2 kids and I work even more. Not at the job, though; having 2 kids simply means that the amount of "free" hours is less than ever. Also, when I worked 60-80h weeks I still had vacations or other periods that were actual free time; now I'm never really free.
I love my kids, they are my life.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
wtf?

i'm 23, i worked my ass off to get my masters in psychology, and now i get a very decent wage working my dream
job four days a week, 8-4. you can pry my healthy work life balance from my cold dead hands.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I want to do and contribute the least that I can to faceless corporations.

Preach

I've never worked beyond 5 if I haven't got paid for it.

The next step in the company I work for is Management accounts but I've seen the hours they work. They never leave at 5, at month end they can be working to 9, 10,11 and that's just not me.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Ugh ugh ugh I struggle with the concept of working more than 30 hours a week. I'll be dead in the ground before I start working 40-80 hours a week, motherfuck that noise.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I'd disagree but I chose consulting as a career path, and I don't wanna be a hypocrite.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
"I work hard to change the world!" says man arguing on Twitter to preserve the status quo at all costs.

"Work more!" says man living in world where the collective goal of humankind has been to work less since the dawn of it.