• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
So... I was searching on youtube today but something weird ocurred. Typing the spacebar in the search box doesn't register anything (basically can't separate words... xD)... moreover, if you had a video playing it, every time you type the spacebar in the search bar (or another key that has function in Youtube) instead of just only type, the function associated is triggered.

This is currently affecting Firefox and Safari users, Chrome users doesn't have the problem... but... great job YT... :/

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Knowing Google this was an intentional change because they wanted to implement some obscure web standard that wasn't yet officially approved

Last edited:

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it doesn't affect Chrome users. These choices Google are forcing across their products are getting super annoying.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Interesting. Still works for me in Firefox, OP. Maybe this is regional?

Edit: Also opened Edge and tried it there. Worked there too. Just because it's the only other browser I have so I thought I'd check.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
omg lol i was just having this issue on Youtube and thought i'd have to get a new keyboard, then went to google and it was fine, wtf (have Firefox btw)

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I was so confused by this moments ago. Can't actually seperate words in the search box. lol

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Broken for me on Firefox.

Google will be doing some ridiculous A:B testing and broke something just for lols. Sometimes I think it is a badge of honour for Googlers if they can push out changes that break in other browsers.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Firefox user here. My spacebar works in a regular tab, but it doesn't work in a private tab.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't work for me on Firefox 86. Like what the fuck. That seems something that should have been easily caught in some kind of testing.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's on purpose!
424%20-%20Raw%20animated_macro%20gif%20r-truth%20the_miz%20wwe.gif

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's eating the spaces. You can type the space, and it will search with the space, but it won't show it on the input. You can test this by breaking a normal word with a space, and you'll get the usual suggestions to search with the fixed word.

Something is catching focus and the spacebar

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Spacebar works for me, but the keyboard shortcuts now aren't turned off on the search bar so I can't watch a vid while using it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Also lmao at this working fine on Chrome.

Someone at Google doesn't do QA on other browsers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, this is happening to me on Safari. I did a Twitter search but didn't see anything. I just typed out what I needed to search for in a text file and pasted it into YT for now.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, happened to me too. Firefox Ubuntu. For a moment I thought my keyboard space key wasn't working.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this hasn't been fixed yet is pretty astounding. Two hours and no one has identified or hit this bug yet?

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Loaded up a video and typed into the search bar.

Space paused and unpaused the video without placing a space. F brought the video to full screen and did type the letter. Other hotkeys did whatever they do while typing.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a bug y'all, don't be dramatic 🥱. Fixing issues like this isn't as simple as typing "git commit" into a terminal window.

Last edited:

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Here is something weird: I just tried it and it really doesn't work, but then if I open the console and then type something into the search bar, space works just fine.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a big y'all, don't be dramatic 🥱. Fixing issues like this isn't as simple as typing "git commit" into a terminal window.

It can be quite simple with a rollback unless Google prefers fixing forward. Even if they do, it's not like their having a massive ddos this is not some complex problem to identify and fix.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The fact that this hasn't been fixed yet is pretty astounding. Two hours and no one has identified or hit this bug yet?
Two hours? That's nothing for Google.

Try this Android 11 Bug that broke Gamepad input for literally everything that Google refuses to acknowledge as a problem despite it being in their issue tracker, having been reported since before the official launch of Android 11, and it being littered with dozens of new comments daily reporting the issue.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/163120692#comment218

Oct 25, 2017
Two hours? That's nothing for Google.

Try this Android 11 Bug that broke Gamepad input for literally everything that Google refuses to acknowledge as a problem despite it being in their issue tracker and littered with dozens of new comments daily reporting the issue

Google Issue Tracker

YouTube is a far bigger use than the game pad I'd wager. Also that is not surprising at all considering all the horror stories I've read about Android API stuff between versions

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
YouTube is a far bigger use than the game pad I'd wager. Also that is not surprising at all considering all the horror stories I've read about Android API stuff between versions
Sure. Until you realize that the reason its broken is because accessibility options are broken in Android 11 because you fix the issue I linked to by disabling your accessibility options. And Accessibility options in android are going to have an equally massive user base as YouTube

Point being. Google kinda sucks at this stuff

tbone

Oct 27, 2017
Keyboard shortcuts on the web are a pain in the butt. This is the sort of bug that automated smoke tests are for tho.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Spacebar only works for pause/unpause in a new video tab I opened, but in an old tab it exhibits that behaviour only if the there isn't an input box in focus (tested the search bar and the reply box).

I think someone was fucking around with input focus and spacebar and managed this.

Oct 25, 2017
Broken for me on Firefox. But don't worry, just type a long string of characters and The Algorithm will suggest all the searches you could ever need.