Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
2tUf4oB.jpg

Shameless self promotion incoming. I spent 4 years writing a book, "The Legend of Zelda - A Complete Development History" and finally completed it last year. I think a lot of Zelda fans on here would enjoy it. (It's free)

As the title suggests, the book tracks the series' entire development history from Zelda 1 to BOTW, providing insight into how market conditions and the state of Nintendo shaped and reshaped Zelda many, many times over the years. I spent countless hours doing the research for the book, and to my knowledge it's the most in-depth deep dive into Zelda history ever written.

The book is available in two formats: a dedicated page on the Zelda Wiki (with citations for virtually everything) and a prettier eBook PDF if you want to enjoy reading it in a magazine format.

You can find both versions here: https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Development_of_The_Legend_of_Zelda

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still have my golden cart NES game, boxed, complete.

My favorite series, and I look forward to a bright future.
zelda-title-screen.gif

HandyDigitalCoypu-size_restricted.gif

2ea9755c1de3a87c77f5c30cf3309bafc2769bfd.gifv

b4c5ea4328281d31df50145689ff4e626d522814_hq.gif

Termina.gif

tumblr_mss0axBIi11qbc2ylo1_500.gif

tumblr_o3mrpihaDq1qa7ubto2_500.gif

original.gif

5A6F3113E248A79657A4715E7E17D8F795D44BC5

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, so many good IPs and they just squat on them.

Nintendo's hardware division needs to die and they need to become a strong 3rd party or get bought by one of the players that cares and makes games out of their IPs.

They're just bonfiring their good faith they've built in the early 90's-10's with every anemic direct.

Zelda has some of the most fun games in gaming, also it has some really awful duds.

Twilight Princess is awesome, so is Ocarina of Time, and can't forget Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds.

Whew look at this take from 2013, nostalgia overload.

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's hardware division needs to die and they need to become a strong 3rd party or get bought by one of the players that cares and makes games out of their IPs.

They're just bonfiring their good faith they've built in the early 90's-10's with every anemic direct.

Zelda has some of the most fun games in gaming, also it has some really awful duds.

Twilight Princess is awesome, so is Ocarina of Time, and can't forget Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds.
You do know they're preparing a sequel to the best selling zelda game of all time, right?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

What is this shit lmfao

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
The series that got me into gaming. I've loved every main Zelda game Nintendo has released, and here's hoping that trend continues.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I struggle between deciding if I love Zelda as a series more or Mario. It really depends on the day and my mood. Either way, one of gaming's most glorious and most storied franchises for sure! Can't wait to see what the future brings for the Zelda franchise!

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Still the best gaming franchise I've played. It's a shame I don't like the new direction of the series but I'll always cherish everything that came before BotW.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I've been replaying Wind Waker lately and loving every second of it. Haven't played it since I was a kid, and it's been a blast going through it all again.

I'll be moving on to Twilight Princess next, which I've never played before, as well as some others I missed that a friend recommended to me.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Happy 35th anniversary!

bTL0lMw.jpg

Edit: Forgot to include my Game Boy copy of Link's Awakening...
iQcBta7.jpg

Last edited:

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite series ever, regardless of medium.

I love The Legend of Zelda.
Happy anniversary to the best!

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't think a thread about Zelda's anniversary would somehow fit in a "Nintendo should go 3rd party post", but here we are.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
35 of years of my boy Link getting second billing 😤
Then again, I think Samus has it worse.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Like everyone else I was sure this was a satire post until you confirmed you were being serious.

Let's ignore for a second that Zelda has been effectively an annual franchise for some time now. There's not a single major publisher within the industry that isn't currently sitting on a pile of IPs they do nothing with.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
NES Zelda is still an amazing game, 8-bit open world magic. People tend to push ALTTP and OOT as the greatest of all time but there is a timeless feel to the original. The accompanying artwork is still so beautiful

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Playing OG zelda on the switch as we speak, it's every bit deserving of its classic status. Definitely a product of "you'll need a guide" era of games, but how free roam it is, and how much of a fun positioning challenge it can be make it still one of the best Zelda's ever.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
not my absolute favorite franchise but it def is the GOAT

HBD

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder what lame arse "celebration" of Zelda they will do. Their Mario one has been pretty sad.

I just want them to actually give some love to it, even if it doesn't make them as much profit as they could get by re-releasing old stuff pretty much as-is.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Happy BDAY to a franchise that change my life and that has a legacy like no other, an all time great! Is amazing how many great games Zelda has.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Happy 35th Birthday to one of the most iconic series!

Are you serious with this? You think that Sony & Microsoft cares about gaming or cares about having good quality like Nintendo does? LOL!

If not for Nintendo, this gaming industry would be a lot stagnant than it is right now. Plus making their games 3rd party would degrade the quality of them.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
The series has provided so many high lights for me. Such a special series and it's reminded me how annoyed I am that we haven't get a couple of collections this year to look forward to. I would love an oracle and Minish cap collection.

I'm also 35 this year but doubt I'll get a thread on here about it : (

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Always loved this art and you know you're a fan when you recognize most of it

I hope someone update it with SS, ALBW and BOtW someday

yeah, it's absolutely epic. It kinda... stirs some feelings on me, tbh. Ticks the right boxes. It has this mythical quality to it, like it's telling you the tale with enough gravitas to make you pay attention.

And to see it updated would be awesome as fuck.