Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to ones mentioned already, Yankee Doodle Mouse and Heavenly Puss are two of the greats. It's the pauses that makes the comedic timing.

The beat and deafening crash of the piano still cracks me up. Also that animation on the piano falling over is fantastic.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
A selection of my favorites:

Yankee Doodle Mouse - Incredible gags. The little firework gets me everytime
Jerry's Cousin - Gag physical violence at its best
Tee for Two - The ending scream
Mouse for Sale - THAT ENDING (#teamtom)
Saturday Evening Puss
The Flying Cat

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the direct to video special about how they were in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this weekend, but apparently, everybody hated it

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
The decision to change the cat moans with the screams of a grown man has to be one of the best decision they've ever made.

I can't say I've actually sat and watched all the classic Tom & Jerry cartoons, but the ones I remember most vividly are "The Cat Concerto" and "Dr. Jekyll and Mister Mouse".

The last one weirdly enough really reminds me of the Mickey Mouse short film "The Worm Turns" another short I loved as a kid.
(To be fair the shorts have a pretty similar plot premise)

tumblr_m3z0gicHJl1qa1xnko1_500.gif
tumblr_pp2qwxLdU41wzypxlo5_500.gifv

They both have such a visually pleasing way to show chemical concoctions

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Solid Serenade is forever the best episode. The song was great, the looks on tom's face were brilliant, and when he hits killer with the brick and goes on to make him look a fool is my favourite tom & jerry bit ever.

Timid Tabby, Blue Cat Blues, Polka-Dot Puss, Mice Follies are some of my other faves.

Tom and Jerry movie while mostly awful does have a couple of songs I enjoy:

<3 Tony Jay

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
What were the shorts where they looked different or something?
Also, thoughts on Tom and Jerry Kids? I liked it quite a bit.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_m3z0gicHJl1qa1xnko1_500.gif
tumblr_pp2qwxLdU41wzypxlo5_500.gifv

They both have such a visually pleasing way to show chemical concoctions

I've recently started rewatching mickey mouse shorts with my daughter, and I'm weirded out that mickey doesn't have pupils. All of the other characters do, but mickey doesn't even have the "notch-like" pupils he has later. Just black lifeless, dead eyes.

In a lot of modern reproductions of mickey, like classic mickey used on T-shirts or w/e, they add the notches, but in a lot of the cartoons mickey just has those black eyes.

wkdMuVA.png

Where as classic donald, and others, have pupils and usually notches in their pupils:

utYmHKH.png

o55cQCY.png

I can't unsee Mickey's lifeless shark eyes.

OP
OP
Jave

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
For those of you who like to check different styles of animation, here's an animator reel featuring most T&J cartoons from the 40s.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I've recently started rewatching mickey mouse shorts with my daughter, and I'm weirded out that mickey doesn't have pupils. All of the other characters do, but mickey doesn't even have the "notch-like" pupils he has later. Just black lifeless, dead eyes.

In a lot of modern reproductions of mickey, like classic mickey used on T-shirts or w/e, they add the notches, but in a lot of the cartoons mickey just has those black eyes.

wkdMuVA.png

Where as classic donald, and others, have pupils and usually notches in their pupils:

utYmHKH.png

o55cQCY.png

I can't unsee Mickey's lifeless shark eyes.
they gave Mickey pupils starting in 1938 so he could appear like he was looking to the side, initially it was used on a brochure(as described in the video I'm linking below with a time stamp) but was also used in animation to try and bolster Mickey's popularity after it had been decimated by Donald and outside studio characters like Popeye. This incarnation of Mickey has more or less remained as his design ever since, with some changes over the years.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any good reason on why on the last decades they toned down the antagonic dynamic between Tom and Jerry? I watched some of the new cartoons, and it baffles me how they act like a parody of that Marge Simpson produced Itchy and Scratchy episode

I really want to see a very violent modern Tom and Jerry short

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Is there any good reason on why on the last decades they toned down the antagonic dynamic between Tom and Jerry? I watched some of the new cartoons, and it baffles me how they act like a parody of that Marge Simpson produced Itchy and Scratchy episode

I really want to see a very violent modern Tom and Jerry short
I don't know what happened to violent cartoony slapstick like Tom and Jerry and The Three Stooges. Home Alone is the most recent mainstream example I can think of with comedy like that.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I remember watching a Tom & Jerry movie when I was a kid, maybe about 20 years ago or so, where they could talk. They explained it away with some quick exchange about how "I never talked because I didn't know you could talk". Anyone remember what movie this was? Surely a classic.