• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
And neither do you.

So do I listen to a forum member or the lead of the game itself?

I wonder...
Todd Howard isn't even saying anything outside of blame Sony.

So, listen to no one. Step back and think how this could be a multitude of complicated issues that could easily have nothing to do with Sony or MS at all.

I would like more information to have a greater understanding of everything at play.

Oct 27, 2017

No kidding, I never said I did...

Bethesda isn't a start-up company.

Really? Here I thought they where indie. So you mean to tell me they would know what they are talking about in regards to something being too much for them to do without crossplay? Huh.

Yes, this would be a much better response than just saying "Sony did it, go after them."

Show me where they said that.

Sure.
But that does not prevent them to say "Sorry, it's not possible now, but OK it's good idea, it will be hard but let's work together on it" instead of simply closing the door and say "No, go away"

Actually, I believe they where annoyed that Sony wasn't being helpful. I mean, if you actually read the interview. "The PlayStation group was not as helpful as we would all like."

They didn't just go and shut the door before trying. This is obviously something that you don't just do if there was a chance of things happening any other way. Also, there is something to be said of supporting the wants of fellow devs in the industry and trying to back positive trends.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Come the fuck on Sony. Stop holding us back. We all know it's possible, the people want it, the developers want to do it, it's a flip of the switch. Get your head out of your ass and let crossplay exist.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
A game that is a persistent world that receives the same updates could be. So why give concessions to your overall goal of having everyone play in the same universe because one party doesn't want to? Would it not be easier for a developer to have everyone lumped together anyways?
The game isn't crossplay, so it clearly isn't built around cross-play is my point (there's nothing negative about cross-play though, it's only a positive bonus, but not my point), so Bethesda using it as a reason to cancel the PS4 version would not fly for a lot of consumers.
Anyone who thinks the solution is to announce games and then cancel them because of Sony not wanting to play nice with other consoles over cross-play are just being ridiculous. And that would be far more anti consumer than what Sony is doing, which is more just being petty arsehole, than anything.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

So, listen to no one. Step back and think how this could be a multitude of complicated issues that could easily have nothing to do with Sony or MS at all.

I would like more information to have a greater understanding of everything at play.
Lol, the information is all there. Todd isn't the only developer calling out Sony on this issue. Only fanboys could deny or defend it at this point.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people will now demand PC + XBOX crossplay for this game when it comes out.
I hope they do.
Because if they dont it will be clear that the issue and all this hivemind has nothing to do with crossplay.
So its your time my fellows crossplay supporters instead of whining about Sony policies go for Bethesda.
PC + XBOX crossplay for Fallout 76 is in Bethesda and MS hands its time for you guys show that you really care about crossplay .
Im waiting for a 100 pages thread with people demanding Bethesda and MS position in this situation.

Yeah, it totally wouldn't be because crossplay between consoles makes wayy more sense from a competitive standpoint.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

That does not seem to coincide with the reality we're dealing with to think this has nothing to do with sony if the main dude is saying blame sony.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
User Warned: Concern trolling over crossplay
Lol, the information is all there. Todd isn't the only developer calling out Sony on this issue. Only fanboys could deny or defend it at this point.
The issues surrounding console cross-play on the few games pushing for it isn't at all the same. If you wish to be reductive in your understanding then so bid. Btw, I am not even siding with Sony on their policy. :)

That does not seem to coincide with the reality we're dealing with to think this has nothing to do with sony if the main dude is saying blame sony.
As another poster replied to me with, (paraphrasing here) F76 is a new area for Bethesda. This could be a multitude of technical issues. We just don't know because Howard simply blames Sony for it. I am not even saying that ultimately Sony would just allow console cross-play for F76. Would be silly for all the issues surrounding the other games. I am just saying that (for me at least) the issues with F76 not having cross-play even if Xbox/PC only is more complicated than just Sony being the jackoffs as they have been.

To be clear, I am also not saying people should lessen the pressure on Sony for their ass backwards policy.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Shawn Layden and the boys better act fast.

I know he said they're trying to work something out that the gamers would accept and would still work for Sony's business side, but I fear that not only will that be years away, but will be a half-assed effort that won't allow TRUE crossplay with other consoles.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
And neither do you.

So do I listen to a forum member or the lead of the game itself?

I wonder...

Listen to the lead by all means, but it doesn't tell us much about cross-play between other platforms.

Nah, it was addressed accordingly. You singled him out when it seems to be a common consensus across multiple threads. Now why did you do that?

I questioned someone else; hence it wasn't addressd accordingly.

I questioned him because the user happened to post on the last page I was reading in this thread.

Read the threads and you'll see the posts. They're pretty blatant.

I have read the thread.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The issues surrounding console cross-play on the few games pushing for it isn't at all the same. If you wish to be reductive in your understanding then so bid. Btw, I am not even siding with Sony on their policy. :)

As another poster replied to me with, (paraphrasing here) F76 is a new area for Bethesda. This could be a multitude of technical issues. We just don't know because Howard simply blames Sony for it. I am not even saying that ultimately Sony would just allow console cross-play for F76. Would be silly for all the issues surrounding the other games. I am just saying that (for me at least) the issues with F76 not having cross-play even if Xbox/PC only is more complicated than just Sony being the jackoffs as they have been.

I just would personally go on the side of if a technical issue is stopping this, Todd would have said that and not pushed blame anywhere. The guy had been in this industry almost as long as I have been alive, you don't namedrop someone in a situation like this unless you're really frustrated.

If there's no cross play whatsoever for anything then we can wait and see for what's up there, sure, but I think you can still take a lot in from just a simple message of blaming sony from a respected dev like Todd.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What purpose does stanning for Sony on this issue serve

I need to know

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that this issue continues to creep up when so many were assuring me it was going die off two days after E3.

Shots fired, by the largest publishers in gaming.

Your move Sony. Let's see who really has the power here.

And what happened. Sony announced a bundle with Fortnite that will assuredly sell a lot. Howard made one comment. While good do you think this is going to put pressure on anyone to do anything? People will buy Fallout 76 for their preferred platform and move on.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
This won't work until you get enough companies like Bethesda to put their games on Switch, and let Sony take L after L and finally start to change.

There's a "valid" excuse to all examples of cross play so far:
Rocket League: it's an indie game which has already been given for free to enough PS4 players, and there is cross play with PC.
Minecraft: it's a Microsoft product so duh, of course they would want to.
Fortnite: it's an smaller free game and there are more PS4's.

A game like Fallout 76 might not crossplay with PC since those playing a shooter on PC could be at an advantage.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I just would personally go on the side of if a technical issue is stopping this, Todd would have said that and not pushed blame anywhere. The guy had been in this industry almost as long as I have been alive, you don't namedrop someone in a situation like this unless you're really frustrated.

If there's no cross play whatsoever for anything then we can wait and see for what's up there, sure, but I think you can still take a lot in from just a simple message of blaming sony from a respected dev like Todd.
See, I am not saying Howard is wrong. I just don't think it is the sole reason for no cross-play for F76. This is where my head is at on this.

I certainly don't subscribe to the "Howard is lying! Sony are Gods! Bow and praise their greatness!" club.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, we need more of the big publishers expressing the need for cross play on consoles. Bethesda is good but we need EA, Ubisoft and Activision (unlikely) to being more expressive.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havent see a reason why they cant be done when other games have done it?

Like its cool and all if people want to keep putting pressure on Sony to include but if you're that passionate about it then i would except an equal amount of pressure being put on Bethesda to include cross play between PC and Xbox.

Sorry, I just saw this. This is why:

Eh, in a game where state is persistently shared, it means having to dynamically silo off platforms. It's one thing when talking about games that are match or objective based. MMOs and MMO-likes are quite a different beast. Either all platforms need to be cross-platform or none when one of the biggest user bases is the blocker.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And what happened. Sony announced a bundle with Fortnite that will assuredly sell a lot. Howard made one comment. While good do you think this is going to put pressure on anyone to do anything? People will buy Fallout 76 for their preferred platform and move on.
You make it sound like Sony wouldn't care that third party games would be more attractive in rival hardware.
Third party games is a major part of Sony's strategy. This can't keep going long term, especially if crossplay become more prevalent in the next generation.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
In order for developers to get Sony to agree, I think they'd really have to take a stand and choose to not develop their game for the PS4 unless they agreed to do it. So far, only Microsoft has done it with Minecraft. The more developers that follow that, the more likely Sony would be willing to budge. The only issue is that it would be a lot of money left on the table for them to simply skip a PS4 version.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Gtgt83+you+used+the+same+picture+as+83+and+youre+_3dd4a4a4a5675e8513b9c3621a96d022.png

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was cross play ever in consideration or is pointing at Sony just a convenient deflection for such questions now?

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
How about that PC to Xbox cross play with Mouse and Keyboard enabled tho God Howard?

Id like to play on a couch and 4K TV with a friend who plays on pc.

Oct 27, 2017
In order for developers to get Sony to agree, I think they'd really have to take a stand and choose to not develop their game for the PS4 unless they agreed to do it. So far, only Microsoft has done it with Minecraft. The more developers that follow that, the more likely Sony would be willing to budge. The only issue is that it would be a lot of money left on the table for them to simply skip a PS4 version.
That would be ballsy for developers to do that. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen, especially the smaller or indie developers.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The good thing here is that this is just another developer publicly calling Sony out.

The common counter-argument is that "gamers don't care about cross-play," and while that's true for a majority of gamers, people need to realize that DEVELOPERS ALSO WANT CROSS-PLAY.

Sony's not only making anti-gamer moves here, but they're upsetting developers like Epic, Bethesda, and Psyonix who have all publicly said they'd want it in their games. And even EA said recently that cross-play would be a net benefit for FIFA players.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game isn't crossplay, so it clearly isn't built around cross-play is my point (there's nothing negative about cross-play though, it's only a positive bonus, but not my point), so Bethesda using it as a reason to cancel the PS4 version would not fly for a lot of consumers.
Anyone who thinks the solution is to announce games and then cancel them because of Sony not wanting to play nice with other consoles over cross-play are just being ridiculous. And that would be far more anti consumer than what Sony is doing, which is more just being petty arsehole, than anything.

I'm definitely not suggesting they cancel the game but if Sony is somehow having an influence on how they should make it then that to me is not ok. It's probably a lot easier to just offer crossplay with everyone from a developers point of view.

To be clear, I am also not saying people should lessen the pressure on Sony for their ass backwards policy.

See, I am not saying Howard is wrong. I just don't think it is the sole reason for no cross-play for F76. This is where my head is at on this.

I certainly don't subscribe to the "Howard is lying! Sony are Gods! Bow and praise their greatness!" club.

Why do you have such a tough time focusing on Sony even when a developer actually names them? You say a bunch of stuff then retract or try to correct what it is you are saying. It just sounds so wishy washy.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing here is that this is just another developer publicly calling Sony out.

The common counter-argument is that "gamers don't care about cross-play," and while that's true for a majority of gamers, people need to realize that DEVELOPERS ALSO WANT CROSS-PLAY.

Sony's not only making anti-gamer moves here, but they're upsetting developers like Epic, Bethesda, and Psyonix who have all publicly said they'd want it in their games. And even EA said recently that cross-play would be a net benefit for FIFA players.

Cancelling the game for PS4 would alleviate any roadblock to cross-play.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you cross play with PS4 if there is no PS4 version? If it is pc/Xbox cross play they can achieve that anyway.

I thought because PS4 wasn't open to cross play that it was off the table completely for all consoles regarding Fallout 76?

Either way though it would probably be a big enough action for Sony to change their policy if a game this big missed it's platform due to their cross play stance .

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

This is entirely speculation on your part. The poster you're referring to didn't even say what you're claiming they said. As speculation on why BGS doesn't simply have different "groups" of cross play platforms, that poster brought up the possibility that BGS doesn't want to have to worry about splitting off servers to different platform groups.

Multiple developers for major games like Fortnite, Minecraft, Rocket League, Fallout, etc. have all clearly said Sony is the hold up. When asked to clarify, Sony basically confirms what we're being told by people like Todd Howard. You claim you aren't "on Sonys side". But you're spreading FUD in an effort to make this issue more complicated and harder to understand than it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.