• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Looks like Shueisha is to blame for DBFZ being pulled from various tournaments.

Source: Toei Animation (Twitter)

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If it's not toei what else could it be? Unless they're just lying I guess lol.

Also lol at using luffy and the straw hats as an example for how corporations should act.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the statement to change to "we're not preventing the tournaments from happening, they just have to pay us first".

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Everyone related to the Dragon Ball series/games about this

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018

Also lol at using luffy and the straw hats as an example for how corporations should act.
Shueisha are the ones who own Shonen Jump, which means they own the Dragon Ball manga, while Toei owns the rights to the anime.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017

They were responding to a tweet from Toei animation celebrating 20 years of the One Piece anime with the words "Fellowship. Friendship."

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Shooting themselves in the foot, etc, etc.

I hope the backlash is loud enough for them to notice and recant.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Shueisha owns Dragonball not Toei. Why can nobody get that in their thick skull??

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I don't know that Toei social media guy is necessarily the end-all be-all on this subject.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I thought it was really weird that people were blaming Toei when Shueisha and Toriyama are the ones that hold the main rights to the brand, and would be the ones that would make decisions regarding licensing issues. Toei wouldn't have any control over that kind of stuff since they were granted a license themselves (to produce animated DB works).

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Is Bandai Namco the one reaching out to organizers? If not, let's announce our own tournament so we can get word directly from the source.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shueisha. Toei Animation is just the studio responsible for the anime and they have the copyright and trademark over it while Shueisha and Toriyama have the copyright and trademark of the overall franchise as the original owners.

It's Bird Studio/Shueisha/Toei Animation after all in the copyright.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
It was obvious it was Shueisha, so makes sense.

Then again why would the person running the Twitter account know about it if it were them?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if the statement of the Twitter handler of the USA branch of one Toei subsidiary is a strong statement. If this is a Toei Animation JP thing, or their parent company, this guy certainly wouldn't know it. It doesn't mean it was Toei, but this doesn't seem like a very strong denial.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt the guy running Toei's English Twitter account knows jackshit either way.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's not them I think what the poor Toei Twitter guy wants to avoid is an angry mob. I don't think he must really know the decisions.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I love One Piece, but yuck at that friendship comment

Pretty sure a couple people were insisting Toei had nothing to do with this in some of the threads about DBZF being removed from shows. At least they spoke up to confirm it.

Edit: okay, I see that person was just replying to one of their tweets. I don't get on twitter much (ever)

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It wasn't Toriyama. That would require him to actually care about Dragon Ball which is, frankly, a laughable concept.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Wait how are they stopping tournaments? It's not like people are pirating the game. They're just playing it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
The Namcops did it. They need to kill DBFZ to hype up the announcement of Jojo by Arc System Works