• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's very literally a toy commercial, so that's to be expected.

It is, and I get that that's how they make money, but as someone who spent his first like, year and a half of getting into Toku through Showa-era stuff like OG Ultraman there is a noticeable difference. I don't think it's a bad thing since the plots are built around the characters but it's like I said, jarring.

Yeah something to get used to with KR haha, especially coming from something like Garo that looks to be for a older audience. Amazon Riders is a more serious rider show that might be worth checking out, although it doesn't seem to be on Prime in the US. D:

I posted a week ago about it but the KR I watched before this was Black fucking Sun lol. I haven't looked too much into Amazons but it seemed like people were maybe leaning toward it being more "superficially" mature as opposed to Black Sun? Haven't seen it to comment though. I think there's also just a directoral shift toward a more overtly-cartoony presentation in Geats as opposed to like, Kuuga. Though I recognize this is a consequence of skipping around across a franchise spanning decades.

Garo hits a lot of right notes for me. It maybe feels a bit generic in terms of the ongoing plot, but to a particular genre of dark fantasy that I fuck with. Plus the costume design, effects, and fight choreography are a step above what I've seen from other Reiwa shows so far. There's a sequence in episode 5 that's just a single, prolonged tracking shot of a dude walking down a hallway cutting down demons that feels like such a flex. And this whole time I think the characters have only been in their magic wolf armor a combined total of like, 6 minutes for all 6 episodes out.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I posted a week ago about it but the KR I watched before this was Black fucking Sun lol. I haven't looked too much into Amazons but it seemed like people were maybe leaning toward it being more "superficially" mature as opposed to Black Sun? Haven't seen it to comment though. I think there's also just a directoral shift toward a more overtly-cartoony presentation in Geats as opposed to like, Kuuga. Though I recognize this is a consequence of skipping around across a franchise spanning decades.

Garo hits a lot of right notes for me. It maybe feels a bit generic in terms of the ongoing plot, but to a particular genre of dark fantasy that I fuck with. Plus the costume design, effects, and fight choreography are a step above what I've seen from other Reiwa shows so far. There's a sequence in episode 5 that's just a single, prolonged tracking shot of a dude walking down a hallway cutting down demons that feels like such a flex. And this whole time I think the characters have only been in their magic wolf armor a combined total of like, 6 minutes for all 6 episodes out.

Black Sun does look a lot darker. XD I am reminded of the original Shin Kamen Rider that also has a more monstruous like suit. And yeah feels like there might have been a shift in tone for Rider shows around midway through the Heisei shows, but I could be wrong. More recent Rider shows can definitely still have some heavy stuff though.

I just notice that this is still "up" but it is unlisted, so maybe they meant that for a limited time (being listed).

I see they still update World of Toku heh. Have they added subs for more episodes beyond the first two for at least some of their shows?

Edit: Doesn't look like there is anything beyond episode 2.

Sep 5, 2021
Did you know that Ryuu Saitou (Jou Akuse/BunBlack) and Shota Taguchi (Kotarou Sakuma/Koguma Skyblue) were both born on the exact same day (June 16, 2004)?

til-ryuu-saitou-jou-akuse-bunblack-and-shouta-taguchi-v0-xv43emwqcqjc1.png

til-ryuu-saitou-jou-akuse-bunblack-and-shouta-taguchi-v0-q18krlbrcqjc1.png

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Alright second arc of Geats completed.

Yeah so overall already a nice shake up with some very interesting missions and shenanigans going on. I love the labyrinth mission, which was kind of giving me Resident Evil vibes, and had some insanely cool moments, including Keiwa's return to the game. Then there was the oh shit moment with the arrival of Glare, who looks great and has some neat powers for the short time he had. And course Ace had some backup plans to recover from that haha, but I also like Keiwa and Neon's role in helping him out in the arc's finale. Too bad Win went out unceremoniously, but I maybe he will be back, just like Michinaga. XD

Anyway some interesting drops from this arc, so shall see what happens next.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I also just finished Geats' second arc.

Ace's infallibility is as endearing as it is fucking insufferable. The moment he turned over that poster to reveal a detailed plan for retrieving his memories I turned into fucking Michinaga. This is how Daffy feels watching Bugs win every time. He can't keep getting away with this, the smug fuck. I hate him. I love him.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Geats third arc thoughts:

I thought the switch to a reality show worked pretty well for the most part. Maybe the Desaster subplot was kind of eh, but there were also some pretty nice moments. For the short time she got, I really enjoyed Sae. New game master was a riot (his time as Glare2 was fantastic), and I could see how he was so foolish to get baited into losing the belt.

It was also nice to see more of the sponsors, and this new direction with the Jyamato going on the offense should be interesting.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
GARO: Heir to Steel Armor 7

Another solid episode. The costume design and fight choreography for this week's Horror continues to impress. Didn't expect her to go through 2 transformations within the span of like, 10 minutes lol what a flex.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is retreading old ground, but this is the most conclusive confirmation of Rita being gender neutral: straight from the head writer himself.

View: https://x.com/2flame_gotcha/status/1761247883750506800?s=46

EDIT: I just notice he typed out "gender neutral" in Katakana AKA he's literally saying the English term. Denialist can't go "nuh-uh it means a different thing in Japan" whenever they want to refute the word of god on this matter.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm about 10 episodes on Kingohger, been busy so I wanted to wait for the finale to build up and binge it all at once

Show has been an absolute blast though, incredible 1-2 combo with it and DonBrothers

Sep 5, 2021
The Final three King-Ohger episodes special version will be distributed on TTFC:

"Everyone who supported "Osama Sentai King-Ohger."

Thank you for supporting King-Ohger over the past year.

As announced, the Toei Tokusatsu Fan Club (TTFC) has decided to distribute the TTFC version, which is the director's cut version of episodes 48, 49, and the final episode.

Due to the structure of the final three episodes, which are connected, we are delivering a re-edited version of the story that has been combined into one story.

Having TTFC's cooperation from the production stage was a major reason why we were able to realize the final three episodes of ``King-Ohger'' on such a grand scale. We hope that as many people as possible will see it on TTFC.

It was a truly happy miscalculation that at the end of the broadcast of episode 49, everyone's support spread in the form of "#King-Ohger final three episodes theatrical version".

There are currently no plans to screen the film in movie theaters, but no one knows what the future holds. Maybe, just maybe.

We hope you can enjoy streaming on TTFC until then. Thank you for your continued support of the Super Sentai Series and TTFC.

Toei Producer Takahito Omori"

GHJQixma0AAcJTb

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider Geats: Divergence Arc

Guy who's only played Shin Megami Tensei: "Getting some real Shin Megami Tensei vibes from Geats."

But actually though. The Desire Deity, all the Kamen Riders fighting for their ideal world alongside their sponsors, the pseudo-apocalyptic aspect with the Jyamato gardens. It definitely gives off some MegaTen vibes in a way I wasn't expecting lol.

Not sure how I feel about the time traveler twist. For the longest time I thought the world beyond the main city was all Jyamato Gardens and they were all living in the Matrix or something. The future aspect feels like it contradicts some things and I'm not convinced it won't be retconned into the DGP staff being gods or something.

The Dezaster subplot was alright, I guess. The twist with Neon took me by surprise just because I figured it'd be Sei from the start but in the end it seems like it didn't matter.

The Sponsors are interesting. I like Ace's sponsor and especially his Laser Rider costume. Unfortunately the others get Bad CG. Kekera the Yakuza Frog seems fun, although I kinda wish he'd stayed a weird statue for comedic effect. Neon's sponsor gives off some really sketchy idol-stalker vibes and I'm hoping he doesn't turn out to be secretly good or anything.

So like, Michinaga could just wish his friend back to life, right? Like I dunno if it counts because he was killed by Riders instead of Jyamato, but I feel like him being opposed to Keiwa's wish is the dumbest fucking thing. Like yeah, "He's so absorbed in his revenge he can't think," or whatever, but it's still dumb as fuck.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Gotchard 8-11

This show is fine. The writing is a bit trite and nearly all of the Q1 forms look terrible but everything still fundamentally works and there are some strong moments. The Abyssalis sisters scheming and constantly making progress toward some unknown goal in spite of all setbacks is better than I expected.

This is without a doubt one of the worst looking super modes of all time.

Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the Kingohger finale.

Hands down the best climax Sentai has ever done. The Endgame comparisons are apt and they did it with the fraction of an already stretched budget and on the 50th episode of a weekly series. I will fondly remember this series for the rest of my life.

With Boonboomger feeling like a return to form, Sentai is ending this 3 year experimental project. The Zenkaiger, Donbrothers and Kingohger streak will be talked about in the same way Tiga, Dyna and Gaia were for Ultraman and W, OOO and Fourze did for Rider back in their day. I'm really glad I was able to witness peak Sentai live.

Here's hoping Boonboomger subverts my expectations but I'm doubtful at this point.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well thought I'd check out the first episode or two of Agito just cause I'm building the figure rise and it's available(the first 2 I mean). Fun to at least watch the intro. Kamen Rider G-3 May be a loser but it's a fun design XD.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I dipped into Kingohger, and yeah once I am done with Geats, I think this will be the next Toku show I will focus on. I am usually not that interested in getting through a Super Sentai (I'm more into Kamen Rider and Power Rangers), but Kingohger looks highly interesting as a epic fantasy kind of Sentai, and first couple episodes were definitely promising.

Plus maybe it helps that the suits are basically very Kamen Rider like with the armored design and incest insect motif. XD

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
King-Ohger finale was amazing. Definitely the most epic scale Sentai's managed to pull.

Series on the whole was excellent. Really want to put it in my Top 5, but it's so damn crowded and I just had to make room for Donbrothers last year lol. At least as far as I'm concerned, it's been almost 20 years since there's been any back to back series as good as these two have been.

Both Vs specials should be a lot of fun.

Seconding the Donbrothers "dying" and getting isekai'd to Terra is the perfect premise (also, I guess we may get in the Vs itself, especially if it opens on the Donbrothers side, but to think this might have been the last ever Haruka narration ;_; ).

It's a really cool surprise to see Yayoi back too, definitely didn't expect her (particularly that, like Ryo Ryusei, her actress has gotten pretty big?).

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Alright, another arc of Geats done. Lamentation Arc thoughts:

Honestly weird that the whole Neon is the Dezaster was basically dropped, when it could have added to the twist about her. Also not sure if I am a fan of Kyuuun, but at least he is trying to be better at interacting with her now heh.

I thought the Sengoku episodes were really good, and the final game of the arc was kind of crazy too, especially with the revelations popping up then. I guess once Michinaga gets some sense knocked into him, he and Ace are totally going to team up again to take DGP down.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Donbrothers and King-Ohger both look nuts. I worry it'll be years before anyone licenses them overseas but the Super Hero Time title card at the start of every Geats just keeps popping up, taunting me lol

Edit: Clearly I was wrong about Geats. It's not MegaTen, it's Bayonetta. Always has been.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider Geats: Lamentation Arc

Uh, okay. I expected them to draw stuff out a lot longer so now I've got no idea what they're saving for the final 2/5ths. Aside from Ace doubling up on his quad booster buckle for the obvious ninetail transformation.

Cool to see more of a focus on the supporters this arc. Although tbh it was mostly Ziin. Kyuun got 2 episodes before vanishing into the aether with Neon and Kekera got fucking nothing. Poor Keiwa just got smacked around the whole arc and then unceremoneously killed. I thought we'd have at least an episode dedicated to each of the 3 main heroes and their supporters but nope, still mostly Ace.

Ah well. Ziin's pretty cool. Him crying for Ace was really sweet. Kyuun's... still Kyuun. Seems there's a lot we still don't know about him and maybe now that he's not trying to keep Neon at arm's length he can stop negging the fuck out of her. His letter with what he intended to say before tearing it up was a nice "pause the blu ray" moment. And poor Kekera couldn't even get an appearance in his human form after debuting it last arc. Maybe the actor is busy.

Hopefully we can wrap up Michinaga and his Big Dumb Vergil arc next. Seems like he'll finally be getting a new Rider form which, he's really needed for a while.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is the only place i can talk about it. But one thing i hate about SRW games that except for very few exceptions you can't play as different forms of the units. I know animations and what not are expensive but still

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider Geats: Longing Arc

Gotta be honest, I think Boost Mk. 9 kinda saves this one. Until then it feels like a lot of potential being squandered for not a lot of gain.

Michinaga finally achieves his perfect world and becomes an invincible Rider slayer! But then the Desire Royale starts 5 minutes later and he gets pushed to the side by Ace again.

Kekera manipulates Keiwa's sister into joining the DR! But then Keiwa joins and spends the next few episodes just offscreen protecting her. She doesn't even get the dignity of having a full Rider costume or anything, she's just a damsel for furthering Keiwa's development. Which mostly amounts to wacky comedy bits of him pretending to be her supporter and then bits of him acting wildly out of character and siding with the DGP to make the Goddess of Creation "pay" for... being exploited?

PunkJack comes back! But he's just here to deliver exposition and tell Keiwa he's being an ass for blaming Ace's mom instead of the people exploiting her.

The tone is kinda all over the place. Last arc got dark with Neon and the Heaven or Hell game. Now it's like they keep pulling a lever and bringing us back to comedy hijinks in between all the drama.

Also fuck them bringing Neon's bodyguards into the DGP only for them to get de-Ridered offscreen five seconds later. I would watch an entire show about those two.

It just feels like it's spinning its wheels until the climax. But also fuck, what a climax. Boost Mk. 9 is so fucking cool it almost makes up for everything else. Ace shushing the theme song mid-fight is in my top Rider moments. Just so. Fucking. Cool.

Last edited:

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
I like Mira already.

It's a long shot but I hope they get Mickey to do an English cover of the Boonboomger OP so she can go ham like she did on the Carranger OP.
www.youtube.com

CARRANGER THE UNSTOPPABLE〜オープニングテーマ英語ヴァージョン〜

Provided to YouTube by Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd./NIPPONOPHONECARRANGER THE UNSTOPPABLE〜オープニングテーマ英語ヴァージョン〜 · MICKEY & TOULOUSEスーパー戦隊 主題歌・挿入歌大全集V℗ Nippon Colum...

Sep 5, 2021
Who is your favorite evil ranger/protagonist's rival from recent years?

I noticed that in recent years super sentai has had several evil rangers that are also rivals to the protagonists of their series. Which of them are your favorites? Do you expect there to be another one in Boonboomger?

who-is-your-favorite-evil-ranger-protagonists-rival-from-v0-5gk5nhes7elc1.jpg

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Geats better nail the finale because so far Creation arc is kinda ass lol

Like yeah they were signposting Keiwa's fall a dozen episodes ago but somehow even with all that time to set it up it still came out of fucking nowhere. He's a completely different character now and it's contrived as fuck. I want my goody-two-shoes back, not this knuckle-cracking edgelord.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

Like yeah they were signposting Keiwa's fall a dozen episodes ago but somehow even with all that time to set it up it still came out of fucking nowhere. He's a completely different character now and it's contrived as fuck. I want my goody-two-shoes back, not this knuckle-cracking edgelord.
Don't get your hopes up too much lol. The finale itself is fine and you still have some good character focus coming, but in general the final stretch of episodes kind of drops the ball in terms of how great the rest of Geats is.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Debated changing my avatar to honor Toriyama-sensei, but I liked this edit because of Geats's whole "granting wishes" thing.

I hated this part of the show, yeah.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

Closer to the start of the show, it felt more like they were telegraphing Ace eventually playing the role of villain and Keiwa having to defeat him as a part of a grand plan to save the day. Keiwa being the one to turn heel gave me whiplash. Evil Keiwa still could have been done well but they bungled the execution pretty badly.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Closer to the start of the show, it felt more like they were telegraphing Ace eventually playing the role of villain and Keiwa having to defeat him as a part of a grand plan to save the day. Keiwa being the one to turn heel gave me whiplash. Evil Keiwa still could have been done well but they bungled the execution pretty badly.

I think it's a good idea. The execution is just terrible.

Ideally the degradation of Keiwa's optimism would've been a gradual thing over the course of the show. But whatever. They kept pushing it off so now we gotta rush it in the final arc. You can still make it work.

The problem is that his personality and mannerisms do a complete 180. Suddenly he's not just misguidedly blaming Ace's mom, but putting Tsumuri in the same situation while stroking her face like a pervy anime villain and dressing like he got the symbiote. This is just a completely different character now lol.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely bought in with Boonboomger. It will never be Kingohger or Donbrothers but whatever its doing seems captivating too.

Also, they brought back EDs? I guess its truly a return to form Sentai, huh?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Say been meaning to add a Super Sentai show to my collection and found a decent deal, Fiveman worth grabbing?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Fell off for a lil bit due to the final arc being underwhelming, but I finally finished Geats.

It's weird. I feel like the last arc is at once too long, while also being rushed? I've already complained about Keiwa's edgelord phase, but Daichi's 180 turnaround is also really strange. Like it makes sense why he had a change of heart, but he's lucky death means absolutely nothing in this universe. Worth it just for him commanding a Pikmin army though.

The ending itself I think mostly stuck the landing. Ace is still Giorno levels of bullshit, but that's expected. Nice for Ziin and Kyuun to get one last appearance even though I wish they didn't fall off the face of the Earth for 15 episodes. Kyuun in particular felt like he had a whole arc they were setting up and I'd have liked to see him get an actual suit.

Overall I think I'd rank it below Kuuga in terms of being an actual story, but the action was consistently great when it wasn't being CGI vomit.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah action did remain Geats' strong suit the entire way though. It regularly did stuff that would usually be reserved for movies or V-cinemas.