• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I don't understand why this was even censored.
In fact half of the censorship in this game make no sense to me.

Most of it is asinine. If they wanted to take out panty shots, fine. But painting over skin in a friggin' wedding dress and ruining the design? Stupid.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
oh man I totally disagree about Ann. Her story arc was great.

edit: I also thought the edits were a lot more egregious than they are. If it's really that minor, I'll probably play it anyway. But I won't pay full price, out of spite.*angry fist*

I meant with Ann, her story arc was handled well, but then the cast & the camera oogles her for the rest of the game. The very next scenario in the game even has her friends trying to convince her to strip just to distract someone while they go do a mission.

With TMS#FE, this isn't like Persona 1 where they changed character ethnicities & cut out a huge part of the game, but some people are acting like it is. 1 scenario has been modified, panty shots have been removed, you can't pay extra money for a very short hot springs fanservice DLC, and a few costumes are modified. I think most of the changes are for the best, but I will agree that the wedding dress edit was odd & not needed.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Oh and this terrible edit job.
CktoMXrXAAEbOfh.jpg
This one still baffles me. There was nothing to censor from the dress on the right and what we ended-up having was a horror nightmare.

Seriously, did anyone who worked on the localization for this game have good taste?

oh man I totally disagree about Ann. Her story arc was great.

Her story would have been great if only they would have respected the purpose later on. Why would you even make most of the male cast objectify a victim of sexual harassment?

Then again, is not like P5 really cares about what happens to the cast after their initial arcs.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So besides fanservice did the western version remove any significant content or is it literally just "muh censorship" people complaining. Good on Nintendo JP to offer refunds if they posted pictures not representative of the Switch version (though refunds for digital preorders should refundable by default and not something allowed for special circumstances).
Removed the DLC, changed most costumes, changed the content of one dungeon (and its meaning), every character was a year older (which is a normal/typical change), any references to gravure modelling in dialogue (in a game about idols...), and cutscenes had some weird smoke effects added to hide bits you were actually still seeing in gameplay later.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can only think of the Hot Springs DLC that was missing, the rest, iirc, was just some slight adjusts and the content was the same.

2nd chapter dungeon was changed alot.. but I don't really mind the change

the only change I'm pissed about is the White Dress of Tsubasa

as no one would wear the one they overlay it with ... they should have change the whole outfit instead

Also selling it full price again and not even dubbing it is just scummy af

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Removed the DLC, changed most costumes, changed the content of one dungeon (and its meaning), every character was a year older (which is a normal/typical change), any references to gravure modelling in dialogue (in a game about idols...), and cutscenes had some weird smoke effects added to hide bits you were actually still seeing in gameplay later.
kind of a hard question but are those changes jarring if you weren't aware of them, like are some of them half assed to the point where you'd notice ? (the worst offender seem to be that white dress change)

Oct 26, 2017
I know the game is said to be based on the western version, but it's not like they can't make fixes/changes to correct the issues the localization brought. The only oddity is that one enemy still has flames covering her breasts in that clip in the direct, and apparently she lacks them in-game.

So maybe they'll now add flames to her in-game, since that'd be really weird otherwise. I doubt they'll remove the flames in the cutscene after showing it in the direct now.

I wonder if just fixing the wedding dress will be enough for most people since that's by far the most criticized change, just because of how sloppy it was.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know the game is said to be based on the western version, but it's not like they can't make fixes/changes to correct the issues the localization brought. The only oddity is that one enemy still has flames covering her breasts in that clip in the direct, and apparently she lacks them in-game.

So maybe they'll now add flames to her in-game, since that'd be really weird otherwise. I doubt they'll remove the flames in the cutscene after showing it in the direct now.

I wonder if just fixing the wedding dress will be enough for most people since that's by far the most criticized change, just because of how sloppy it was.

A compromise in between would be more than enough to make me happy with my purchase

i'm fine with changes as long as it's somewhat reasonable lmao

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
kind of a hard question but are those changes jarring if you weren't aware of them, like are some of them half assed to the point where you'd notice ? (the worst offender seem to be that white dress change)
I played at launch without being aware of the changes, and the theme of the modelling chapter felt a little odd but I just chalked it up to not great writing for that one bit and otherwise thoroughly enjoyed the game.

I had actually been thinking about dusting off my Wii U to play it again until this was announced, and will definitely be buying it again.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Some bits posted earlier kinda make it worse (in the same way that the infamous Tharja bikini scene in FE Awakening making her look naked in the american version) like this:
Q9Nn5rj.jpg

But otherwise, the really jarring changes are the weird bits censored in cutscenes but untouched ingame (usually smoke/flame effects covering some cleavage).
The rest is obviously not jarring since you're not aware, but it feels weird nonetheless (the theme change of a dungeon make you wonder what is the issue, the costume changes can look really bad, etc).

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I hope the OT is free of this vagina bones talk but who am I kidding
TMS OT: Now with 100% less vagina bones
This game isn't exactly new. This is its second release and this EXACT conversation has already happened multiple times concerning TMS#FE.

At this point, people do know what others mean when they say "censorship" regarding this game. When you see people say "censorship" just ad-lib it out with "editing" or "changes" or whatever so you can actually read the things they're actually saying. I think regardless of how you feel about the changes, arguing endlessly over the use of that word is a pointless sidetrack because you start arguing over that instead of the actual points anyone was making. I say this because these semantics have been argued in basically every TMS conversation since the Wii U version.

It was really annoying when you'd fight enemies that Itsuki was weak too. You couldn't strategically swap him out so these enemies would just jump him and it was a frantic rush to either kill them quickly or defend Itsuki.
I mean, I definitely understand they mean "editing". Problem is, they actually think it's censorship.
I played the game on Wii U having no knowledge of the censorship beforehand. It was still really fucking good and this won't deter me in the slightest from picking up the enhanced version. Can't wait for January.
It's almost as if the changes are largely irrelevant in the bigger picture and it's still a pretty great RPG.
CENSORED
GAMING

Man you'd think they're telling you about state secrets. x)
Their self-seriousness is borderline satire.

Amazing that 30 pages later "they did minor texture and story edits and therefore this game is a disgrace" is still a hill people are willing to die on.

Honestly, the lack of english audio should be the real localization "controversy" and it bugs me we still won't get it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can we just ban Censored Gaming in era? If they really have ties to GG why people keep posting them here?

Nov 17, 2017
I mean, I definitely understand they mean "editing". Problem is, they actually think it's censorship.
That's not really true. You are only assuming they actually think it's by the dictionary definition censorship because it's easier to dismiss them that way but most people saying it understand that the dev or the publisher are choosing to edit these things by themselves and I don't really see many people arguing otherwise. I'm sure you can find some people who do think it's straight up censorship but people have varying opinions on the changes, it's not just black and white and I don't think painting over the whole thing with broad strokes really helps. But see, this is my point. You clearly understand what they mean but instead of engaging with that, you're sidetracking to an argument over the right word to use as if you don't understand them. I'm just saying it doesn't accomplish anything but dismiss the varying concerns people may have. And like, you don't have to care about their concerns either, it's just pointless arguing back and forth on the word censorship when we all know what everyone is saying. Some words evolve in certain contexts and have meaning beyond their dictionary definition. Whether you like or hate the changes or you just don't care, it gets a bit annoying seeing people go "well actually" ad nauseam every time.

Can we just ban Censored Gaming in era? If they really have ties to GG why people keep posting them here?
I didn't realize it was a GG group. I just google image searched for a specific localization change someone mentioned and that was the image I found. The image is just showing a comparison; I'm not trying to promote them and I haven't linked to anything of theirs. If it's not allowed, a mod can delete it.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
You're just replacing the word "censorship" with a euphemism because you find the original content morally offensive.

But I'd wager that many of the people saying they'll pass now, and this includes myself, aren't upset about the lack of anime titties. There's no shortage of tits on mobile games or ... why even start? They're everywhere.

It's the fact that a release has been watered down and changed and is no longer the originally released version. When Zelda: OOT was changed to remove the Islamic chanting, it lost some of its integrity. When they removed skeletons and skulls from Dota 2 to appeal to Chinese players, it lost some of its integrity. I just realized I'm starting to sound like Randy Marsh here...

I'm part of #JapanExpats and one of the jobs I had recently was helping a British director sell copies of his film which starred a Japanese teen actress. I went to one of her idol group's performances and I was ... revolted, to put it straight. DVDs of girls in their early teens, wearing swimsuits and school uniforms were being traded amongst adults (some women, included). Fans would pay by the minute to talk to these "idols" and get pictures with them. It's an odd scene.

I haven't played TMS (I want to), but from reading the comments here it almost sounds to me like part of the intention of the game was to expose the skeezy nature of the idol business. I haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure, but if I do I want to see the warts. Even if all it does is gross me out, I don't want a sanitized version of the game. Vagina bones or that already plenty conservative wedding dress would never have even been a blip on my radar, but a publisher attempting to "protect" me from it definitely would.

It doesn't really bother me that people here misconstrue this type of opinion as just "creepy guys wanting to see naked children" because I know where I'm coming from, and it's not from there. This place is also anonymous, so I don't have to deal with these misunderstandings in real life. Hopefully this helps elucidate things for you guys making reductive drive by posts.

This game is a best hits of Japanese pop culture which might lost some people (there are references to Marry Friedman and Quentin Tarantino amongst others).

Tbh, I do think one valid criticism of this game it doesn't go too hard in criticizing the dark side of Japanese culture

Specifically, the gravure change that I railed upon, I don't think the reason they changed it because it was an underaged girl (now 18 in the west) in a bikini because they still had a bikini costume in the game afterwards.
It was more that the scenario resolution was that she was okay with it afterwards.

I do think it's possible to critique the application of changes for the international release , I don't mind the wedding dress but I know others do. I really wish they had a completely different scenario then they put in for chapter two.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
TMS OT: Now with 100% less vagina bones

It's almost as if the changes are largely irrelevant in the bigger picture and it's still a pretty great RPG.

Their self-seriousness is borderline satire.

Amazing that 30 pages later "they did minor texture and story edits and therefore this game is a disgrace" is still a hill people are willing to die on.

Honestly, the lack of english audio should be the real localization "controversy" and it bugs me we still won't get it.
Seconded. I mean, their language does make it easier to pick out and simply ignore those using 'censorship' to mean 'localisation'.

The tastes of those crying foul have never been better catered to, but we still have to take this whiny BS seriously? Nah.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
That's not really true. You are only assuming they actually think it's by the dictionary definition censorship because it's easier to dismiss them that way but most people saying it understand that the dev or the publisher are choosing to edit these things by themselves and I don't really see many people arguing otherwise. I'm sure you can find some people who do think it's straight up censorship but people have varying opinions on the changes, it's not just black and white and I don't think painting over the whole thing with broad strokes really helps. But see, this is my point. You clearly understand what they mean but instead of engaging with that, you're sidetracking to an argument over the right word to use as if you don't understand them. I'm just saying it doesn't accomplish anything but dismiss the varying concerns people may have. And like, you don't have to care about their concerns either, it's just pointless arguing back and forth on the word censorship when we all know what everyone is saying. Some words evolve in certain contexts and have meaning beyond their dictionary definition. Whether you like or hate the changes or you just don't care, it gets a bit annoying seeing people go "well actually" ad nauseam every time.
But this isn't a "well actually", or something pedantic. Words have meaning and weight attached to them, and calling this "censorship" attaches an unjust weight to what is essentially a company changing something they don't think will work in the US.

Not only that, censorship has become a damn dog whistle for anti-PC, GG types. No wonder one of their lightning rods was CENSORED GAMING. Play-Asia even used it as a marketing strategy to sell a Dead or Alive game a couple years ago. So yeah, I think we should at least do our best to make sure people don't use a term that has awfully negative connotations (I live in a country that had actual censorship for over two decades) for something as meaningless as some texture swaps/story changes.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Idol culture is inherently creepy. So more power to those that want to limit this creepy stuff.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Then why make this a game thematically based around idols (+ other entertainment fields) and showing it all in a positive light in the first place?
Babysteps. I don't expect any IP that concerns itself with idols to get all introspective and critique the industry. But the least they can do for now is limit the sexualization of its characters.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Babysteps. I don't expect any IP that concerns itself with idols to get all introspective and critique the industry. But the least they can do for now is limit the sexualization of its characters.
Persona 4: Dancing All Night did. The game opens with an up-and-coming idol killing herself because of the pressure.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's the answer to your previous question. Been here, done that.
My point is that if you're going to make a game about idols, embrace it. If you're going to decide to make it all sweet and straightforward with partial nudity all over the place, then do it. And don't backpedal and wonder why you even did that in the first place. If you're going to take an honest, perhaps cynical look at the industry and convey a darker message like Perfect Blue or P4D, then go for it.

But what they have done with #FE doesn't make sense. They're ashamed of what they themselves created. They shouldn't have even gone with that subject matter in the first place, then, right?

May 13, 2019
My point is that if you're going to make a game about idols, embrace it. If you're going to decide to make it all sweet and straightforward with partial nudity all over the place, then do it. And don't backpedal and wonder why you even did that in the first place. If you're going to take an honest, perhaps cynical look at the industry and convey a darker message like Perfect Blue or P4D, then go for it.

But what they have done with #FE doesn't make sense. They're ashamed of what they themselves created. They shouldn't have even gone with that subject matter in the first place, then, right?
Hit the nail on the head. To me, they are still shocked at the bad reception this game got in Japan, where they assumed it would fare far better that in the rest of the world, given the subject.

The fact it received the same amount of scorn and mockery as it did elsewhere must have been truly baffling.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017

It seems to have been a passion project for the devs, but I'm guessing the localizers at Nintendo would have preferred something that didn't require as many content edits.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to have been a passion project for the devs, but I'm guessing the localizers at Nintendo would have preferred something that didn't require as many content edits.
Even then, there are examples like the Kiria Carnage form change from the first trailer afterwards when they thought that it was too much, and things like the retailer pre-order bonus change of Tsubasa being changed presumably also because someone figured it was too much. It was just weird all-around.

Clearly a passion project, though.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
The TMS talk on ResetEra has sent me down a rabbit hole where I'm now listening to the soundtrack at work again.

The biggest reason you all should buy this game is to hear Hosoya sing "Under the Moon". *melt*

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe they realized halfway through it that idol culture is kinda fucked up.

May 13, 2019
Yes. TMS #FE was in collaboration between Atlus Creative Department 1st Production (specifically, the Devil Survivor team) and P4D is P Studio (2nd Production).
Thanks for clearing that up.

Still, I believe the different aproach that TMS had to the idol industry was mostly because they had already went down that rabbit hole and didn't feel like going through already threaded path.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clearing that up.

Still, I believe the different aproach that TMS had to the idol industry was mostly because they had already went down that rabbit hole and didn't feel like going through already threaded path.
It's worth noting that both games were released in the same year in Japan, so it's unlikely that they actually communicated between each other to have that kind of divergence when they were both being developed at the same time (and also when they both had development issues).

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if Nintendo and Atlus themselves were better at planning/communicating/working together in general throughout this whole process we wouldn't be having dozens of pages of posts about pelvic bones and instead (hopefully) dozens of pages about people playing the game instead.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
thankfully all the switch games that are in my queue will make it pretty easy to skip this despite how much i wanted it before. especially as a j-pop and idol fan

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if Nintendo and Atlus themselves were better at planning/communicating/working together in general throughout this whole process we wouldn't be having dozens of pages of posts about pelvic bones and instead (hopefully) dozens of pages about people playing the game instead.
NoJ and Atlus seemed to collaborate well from what's been heard about the dev process. The issue was more the localization team not being involved until the end.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
thankfully all the switch games that are in my queue will make it pretty easy to skip this despite how much i wanted it before. especially as a j-pop and idol fan

Personally, I'd ask that you reconsider considering I personally liked the game quite a lot, and the edits really don't hurt the game much at all. It still is a great time especially if you were already interested in things like J-pop or idols. In general though, it is a great JRPG with a cute cast and a very fun battle system.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Thankfully I don't choose my games on how nude anime girls are in it.
i won't buy it out of principle. i didn't like how it was handled back when it came out on wii u (though at that time my decision to not buy was mostly because i hated my wii u) and i don't like that its carrying over to the switch. i would've bought the Japanese version but alas .. and no dlc is the nail in the coffin
Personally, I'd ask that you reconsider considering I personally liked the game quite a lot, and the edits really don't hurt the game much at all. It still is a great time especially if you were already interested in things like J-pop or idols. In general though, it is a great JRPG with a cute cast and a very fun battle system.
well still a long time till release, maybe things will change

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
I don't understand why they don't try to satisfy both sides at the same time, like add an option in the menu that lets you choose your version of the game.
That would have required some effort, sure, but I expect them to put that in if they want the game to sell well. Especially for a definitive edition.
Maybe it would have even caused a higher rating, but it's miles better than having to issue an apology and refunds.

I simply don't like choices being made for me. If a game has unpleasant content, let me choose to be disgusted by it. Don't take away that option from me.
Right now with how the whole thing is handled it's just giving off an unprofessional vibe to me and I expect better of them.
Sadly, it also makes me lose interest in the extra content, if it's handled and communicated as poorly.
I will probably just check it out on youtube since I already completed the base game.