• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I totally get the necessary separation between a journalist and their subject, but this type of leak feels just so callous and mean spirited. Leaks royally suck for the dev team. I know some people think it's just suits that care about secrecy, but front line devs work their ass off with the hope that the game they're on gets the best possible showing.

It's the tweet saying they declined to take it down that is extra salt in the wound to me

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I'll never understand that, either. Especially with tech companies like Apple where their security team is so good that they will eventually find out who did it and likely prosecute.

In this case, it sounds like from reading between the lines of the tweets posted ITT that this might not be an internal leaker, but might be that Henderson caught wind of this through some embargoed journalist friends (who shouldn't have been talking in the first place) and decided to blab on Twitter.

Right? I know some folks just like to watch the world burn, but I'll never understand someone risking their employment in an industry they can get easily blacklisted from (I certainly know of a few folks that have been blacklisted in the gaming industry for various reasons, some reasons even less serious than breaking an NDA, even!). It just doesn't make sense to me. I guess I can't help but think about what it is they stand to gain from something like this, specifically? Internet clout seems like a stupendously dumb reason, so what else is it that I'm maybe missing.

And I agree, that was my takeaway based on the tweets here as well. It doesn't seem like this was an internal leak, but rather an external source that was shown the game, then spilled the beans, and this Tom guy, whoever he is (I don't really follow many game industry journalists, so I genuinely have no idea who half of the people this place talks about are XD XD), decided to leak the info.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
News is news, but the second tweet was unnecessary and egotistical imo. As someone said earlier, he's not Walter Cronkite.

Kojima's been a media darling for 25 years. I think this is the first time where he's probably pissed over something.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game Xbox is getting from Kojima is mobile centred that would be a bit of a disappointment.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
While this type of leak sucks, it's not like we have a ton of info about the actual game. It's not like CoD every year where the setting, MP info, third mode hints, short gameplay footage leaks and even future title plans get leaked months before the current game is even announced.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
Wait why are ppl saying they don't want it to be a mobile game? Are there rumors of that?
I think a Spanish youtuber made a video elaborating on it and said he also knew about it and that there were videos of people playing the game on a mobile device or something. I'm not sure how legitimate that information is. It sounds like there's still a good amount of unknowns here including what the game exactly is, is it just a front for something like P.T., what platforms etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait why are ppl saying they don't want it to be a mobile game? Are there rumors of that?

Guy who supposedly leaked the screen grab of the title screen said it was being played on a phone with simple touch controls. They mention a "Game Over" screen appearing, "Game Over" was the same thing that twitter leaker tweeted at Geoff when he mentioned getting a new trailer in his email.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If a dev asks you to take it down, just take it down. The leak is already out there but it just makes you look like a total attention seeking ass by declining and then making a big fuss about it in the next tweet. As others have said, it feels mean spirited and it's just not a good look.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
If the game Xbox is getting from Kojima is mobile centred that would be a bit of a disappointment.

Its not mobile centered, its xcloud focused, which we have known for ages. It is designed so it can be played anywhere, which means simplistic controls. But it won't be like a typical mobile game or anything like that.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
If a dev asks you to take it down, just take it down. The leak is already out there but it just makes you look like a total attention seeking ass by declining and then making a big fuss about it in the next tweet. As others have said, it feels mean spirited and it's just not a good look.
No? A developer isn't your boss.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
So Kojima's horror game pitch history is basically:

- Set to work on Silent Hills under Konami, collaborating with Guillermo del Toro and Junji Ito. Cancelled, Kojima leaves Konami, Oct, 2015, forms new studio, Dec, 2015.
- Death Stranding announced, Jun, 2016. Death Stranding launches, Nov, 2019.
- Kojima mentions that he'd like to do a horror game, Oct, 2019.
- Junji Ito states he had spoken to Kojima about assisting with a horror game, Jul, 2020. Ito later clarifies nothing tangible exists and he is not working on anything with Kojima, only that Kojima mentioned to him a horror project may happen and he may ask Ito for assistance, Jul, 2020.
- Reportedly pitched an episodic horror series to Google for Stadia, which was set in motion but cancelled, Feb, 2021. May be the "major project" he mentioned had be cancelled in the previous year, Apr, 2020.
- Grubb states that Microsoft are in talks to secure a deal with Kojima for his next game, Apr, 2021. And then, Grubb reports the deal has met a milestone, and likely to go ahead, with implications it leverages Microsoft's cloud servicing, Jul, 2021. Grubb reiterates this year that the Microsoft x Kojima deal is still on, Apr, 2022.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Right? I know some folks just like to watch the world burn, but I'll never understand someone risking their employment in an industry they can get easily blacklisted from (I certainly know of a few folks that have been blacklisted in the gaming industry for various reasons, some reasons even less serious than breaking an NDA, even!). It just doesn't make sense to me. I guess I can't help but think about what it is they stand to gain from something like this, specifically? Internet clout seems like a stupendously dumb reason, so what else is it that I'm maybe missing.

"Chasing Internet clout" and the necessity to obfuscate one's identity when leaking stuff for fear of retaliation/reprisal seems.... contradictory?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
They gonna pay his bills if he takes it down lol? This is his job.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
do these arguments about leaks ever happen with movies/music/television? Doesn't seem like it.

Nephtis_

alt account
Banned
May 5, 2022
Can someone explain to me why people are making the leak a big deal? He didn't sign an NDA and he has a source for the rumour which seams to be true since Kojimas company wants the tweet removed. I do admit not removing the tweet could be perceived as a dick move but he's a journalist so I'm not surprised he didn't remove it.
As for the leak itself, hopefully the game turns out to be good because Death Stranding wasn't impressive to me.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Can someone explain to me why people are making the leak a big deal? He didn't sign an NDA and he has a source for the rumour which seams to be true since Kojimas company wants the tweet removed. I do admit not removing the tweet could be perceived as a dick move but he's a journalist so I'm not surprised he didn't remove it.
As for the leak itself, hopefully the game turns out to be good because Death Stranding wasn't impressive to me.
Gamers really like big surprising announcements like usually more than they like actually playing games.

Nephtis_

alt account
Banned
May 5, 2022
Gamers really like big surprising announcements like usually more than they like actually playing games.
Yea but people also like it when they get a confirmation when a game is in development, or they get an idea of what new game their favourite developer is making.
Leaks isn't something new, happens in every entertainment medium.
But that's not to devalue what you said, I like surprises sometimes too. But leaks is apart of the industry and I don't think he's obligated to take tweets down or feel bad about it (if done legally).

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"Chasing Internet clout" and the necessity to obfuscate one's identity when leaking stuff for fear of retaliation/reprisal seems.... contradictory?

Not necessarily.

It depends. You don't have to reveal your identity to get twitter/youtube clout/followers, etc. Look at the person who posted that list of SoP reveals the day before the event. Because of Tom spotlighting them, they jumped up to a few thousand followers. They're still anonymous, but they now have eyes on them, and could potentially grow that over time if they continue to consistently leak correct information. Because of the timing of their leak (posted a day before the event), it might be very hard for Sony to track down the source of that leak. By that point, it's probably tough to know who all had access to that level of information. And also, considering how small that person's following was at the time of the reveal, and that no other major publications picked up on it, Sony probably didn't bother to even draw attention to that particular leak were it brought to their attention.

It's when the leaks get larger coverage that it may raise alarm bells. But I digress.

Ultimately, I think insider/leakers are obnoxious, so I tend to ignore rumors and leaks and the personalities attached to them.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Urgh. I'm praying it's not an xCloud only game :( that would be the worst possible scenario for me

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
The article is dead now. The ninjas got him.

unknown.png

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Never understand being upset at leaks. Guy is doing his job. Guess corporations should just control all messaging. Only post what they want you to.
This isn't some undercover sting piece on corporate practices, it's a leak of an announcement.
Leak away. The culture of secrecy is games is stupid as fuck
'Culture of Secrecy'?

Good lord, people just like surprise reveals more than getting them shown off through blurry pics and a shat out tweet. It shouldn't be that hard to understand. Plus, yes, I can feel empathy for devs who are working on a project and excited to unveil it, only to have that ruined. It takes heat and momentum out of the actual reveals, makes the showcases themselves less interesting, etc etc.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This would be such a different thread if it wasnt Kojima and/or if Schreier leaked it.
I also don't understand why so many people who don't want to be spoiled by the leak click on this thread in the first place.

For the game: looking forward to it, no matter the platform.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing weirds me out more than people in the gaming community legitimately angry at journalists for doing journalism and "spoiling" trade show announcements.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm misremembering the situation, but isn't No Man's Sky a good example of why you don't continuously update people on your game throughout years of development?

I mean we have countless examples proving this to be true. Nobody likes it when stuff leaks and sets expectations and then gets cut, changed or downgraded. And Nobody liked Peter Molyneux style of Promising the Ferrari and delivering a Tricycle. At some point it is healthy for development teams to actually be able to have some assurance that whatever is being shown to the audience is a true and honest representation of what's going to be delivered.

Even if people loved the early leak, it hurts you if whats leaked ends up being completely cut from the game for some reason or another.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
All of the above, including sport fashion. I think I've signed 3 NDA's once just because I would see a new sneaker that wasn't on the market yet.
Sneakers I can definitely see but I can't help but chuckle at the thought that there are leaks and people who care about them for regular H&M clothing.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
If he did not sign an NDA, this is no different than VGC reporting there's 3 Silent Hill games in development. Video game journalism has always been weird to me, you're supposed to not be part of the industry itself, but you also can't deny you kinda are (publishers give you content, so...) I suppose there's a balance to find, you also have to consider the dev team feelings. I'd be super bummed if I had worked on a project for years, for it to be revealed in a shitty way on an obscure website.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Horror game on a phone lol, more like comedy. Better be on consoles.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
If he did not sign an NDA, this is no different than VGC reporting there's 3 Silent Hill games in development. Video game journalism has always been weird to me, you're supposed to not be part of the industry itself, but you also can't deny you kinda are (publishers give you content, so...) I suppose there's a balance to find, you also have to consider the dev team feelings. I'd be super bummed if I had worked on a project for years, for it to be revealed in a shitty way on an obscure website.

I think the difference here is that Tom is only leaking something every other reporter already knows about but can't report on before embargo due to NDAs. He's not doing any investigative journalism or breaking news on something no one else knows about. He's just rushing to cross the finish line and be the first to report on something the same way he broke that Jason Shrier article because he wants to be first.

Again, as Jason himself said, there is nothing legally or ethically wrong with that. It just comes off as a useless leak that makes the upcoming event less exciting.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Horror game on a phone lol, more like comedy. Better be on consoles.
Now that I think about it, horror game on the phone has the potential to be super scary if they really utilize the platform characteristics (like simulated phone call or text/video messeage, or even just phone ringing), which is something Kojima really likes to do anyway so it could be interesting.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Shitty response from Tom.

The footage will be shown either way, you'll be proven right - Why mention that they wanted it taken down? (I know why, but it's still incredibly shitty).

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
so the kojima horror game is the fucking smaller cloud/mobile game? NotLikeThis