• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2022
exputer.com

Microsoft To Announce Xbox Game Demos & More On June 9th

Sources have said that Microsoft will be announcing several big announcements before Summer Game Fest on June 9th.
Sources have said that Microsoft will be announcing several big announcements before Summer Game Fest on June 9th.

One of the bigger announcements is that Microsoft will be launching a new service to seemingly compete against PlayStation Plus' time-limited game trials that were announced earlier this year. The feature will be coming to Xbox Game Pass members within the next year and will begin with a focus on helping independent game developers across the globe. They'll be several smaller announcements too, including the expansion of cloud gaming to other countries to make the service more accessible. It's expected that the announcements will be made several hours prior to the Summer Game Fest show on June 9th.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
Nice, just like what Sony did with PS Plus, gonna be great for people that want to decide whether they want to buy a game or not.

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool

Developers that choose to enroll in the project will not only get the necessary data needed for game development, but Microsoft will reportedly also be compensating developers for participating (exact details not disclosed).

Still strange that game demos exist behind a paywall especially because we had xbox festivals with tons of demos in the last few years? well, let's see how it'll work.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I knew it!

If Sony was doing it, there's no reason not to do it for Game Pass Ultimate.

It is also a good substitute for if they get rid of Gold.

Also, good to see developers will be compensated:
Developers that choose to enroll in the project will not only get the necessary data needed for game development, but Microsoft will reportedly also be compensating developers for participating (exact details not disclosed).

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This is great news for both PlayStation and Xbox gamers because more third parties will just see it as the cost of doing business since both platforms "demand" it.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Thats nice. More power to XGP!

Hopefully PC will get a piece of the cake not only the consoles

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I wonder if this means 4K streams? ImBald you might want to add these extra details into the thread!
In addition to this announcement, Microsoft will also be announcing an extension to their Samsung partnership, which will allow people to stream Xbox games on their Samsung Smart TV's without a console via Cloud Gaming.

They'll be several smaller announcements too, including the expansion of cloud gaming to other countries to make the service more accessible.

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
"Xbox Game Demos"

giphy.gif

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Honestly, the fact that this is opt in and devs are compensated is amazing. Demos can have a knock on negative effect for some games and this value increase in the sub service deserves to be paid out in kind.

Good for MS, I hope Sony follows suit.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
remember when games pretty much had to have demos on the 360?

good times.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is something for publishers that don't want their games joins gamepass(sub services)?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Sony and MS: Pay us to play game demos
Steam: Steam Next Fest is here, free demos for everyone, go and play them and help devs with feedback!!!

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Cool. Compensation sounds good. I've not really enjoyed the demo drops they've done in the past (mostly cuz the discovery was always a bit weird and there are SO MANY games lol). But overall, this is great. So this is diff from PS+ in that these are PRE-RELEASE demos, right?

Sony and MS: Pay us to play game demos
Steam: Steam Next Fest is here, free demos for everyone, go and play them and help devs with feedback!!!
Most of the Steam demos during these events that are on Xbox make it to Xbox as well. The difference is that the devs get paid for demos here. Pros and cons, no? And it's not like Game Pass's audience is too small to be meaningful.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care about demos, but hearing that the devs would be compensated is definitely a good thing.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Cool. Compensation sounds good. I've not really enjoyed the demo drops they've done in the past (mostly cuz the discovery was always a bit weird and there are SO MANY games lol). But overall, this is great. So this is diff from PS+ in that these are PRE-RELEASE demos, right?
Yeah, this is pretty different than PS+ demos.

It seems to be opt-in and developers get compensated. Maybe all games are included but if you choose to opt in and make a custom demo you get compensated? Guess we'll find out soon.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it!

If Sony was doing it, there's no reason not to do it for Game Pass Ultimate.

It is also a good substitute for if they get rid of Gold.

Also, good to see developers will be compensated:

This

Developers that choose to enroll in the project will not only get the necessary data needed for game development

kinda makes it sound like the devs need to actually make the demo themselves, no?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I get that both companies are trying to tie as much value as possible to a service, but the new times of tying demos/trials to $15mo+ is ehhhhhh.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
They gotta come up with an alternative name for it because I don't think people should have to figure out what someone means in a conversation if they're playing a xbox game demo or a xbox game demo.

Like trial seems like it would've worked well enough to better explain the difference between: "this is a free, crafted, and small slice of the game for you to try out that you can get directly from our store as I'm linking here" and "you can just play the full game straight up for a limited amount of time" as what they're providing here.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a demo. It sounds like it's a program to help devs who are developing games (Early Access).

Developers that choose to enroll in the project will not only get the necessary data needed for game development

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
We had demos two generations ago, thus we're coming full circle, so they should call the initiative Xbox 360.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
How is this different from Game Preview?

Guess I'll wait to see the official announcement. Adding demos to my Game Pass subscription isn't all that exciting.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Reading through this thread...
Seems like folks STILL don't want to understand the difference between Demos and Game Trials.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean, they were already doing it, just on a limited basis with the gold weekends. Every week there's two or three games to play as much as you want to. Some games already had demos and/or trials, all the EA stuff if you're on GPU. Obviously, anything on Game Pass can already be played.

It's really not THAT big of a leap but done in a way that probably makes more people aware.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And personally as i told before when Jason was doing it leaking things few days before announcement is jerk move.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Seems different and slightly worse than the plans for PS+ demos for consumers, but it's a great idea and I'm glad to see MS is following Sony's lead.

Funny thing is when I first heard about the demos on PlayStation I thought it was a stupid idea, but I've really warmed up to the idea and think it'll be great as a way for me to try more games and spend more money while hopefully wasting less

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Man, I love this concept of this thing called a demo. You can like, try before you buy. I'm surprised we've never had something like this before.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Competition continues to be good for consumers

In this case it's making things worse, like paying to play online did. If the point of trials/demos is to sell more games, they should be for everyone. Microsoft also already did this with Gold, when they in the 360 generation started locking demos to Gold subscribers for a week. Wasn't good for us having demos locked away behind a subscription then and it isn't good now.

As far as subscription services go, one of fears people often bring up, is that content will start becoming base content or chapters or seasons, where you're eventually forced to pay more on top of the subscription to play something fully. Well, with a demo that's exactly what you're getting. A guarantee to have to pay more on top of the service, if you actually want to play it fully.

Free demos/trials would be cool. Locking them behind a subscription, not so much.

Last edited:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
As soon as I saw game demos being forced on developers by Sony I knew they'd also be coming to Xbox.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
It has nothing to do with what PS Plus is doing tho.
It's more akin to the Steam Game Festival.

bb1173

May 1, 2022
This seems like an idea to increase GP value, by getting some games that they wouldn't normally get.

E.g:
MS: Hey can we get elden ring on GP?
FS: No!
MS: Can we compensate you for a demo on GP?
FS: Sure

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
There's a vagueness to this that's kinda confusing but we're only a couple days away from the actual announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
For the PS+ one, didn't the game trial thing not being announced the way it was rumored kind of debunk that report? You aren't going to be able to trial every game when it launches.