• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
First announced at EA Play in 2020, the next Skate game was described as being "really early" in development.

But now, almost 2 years since the project started, things seem to be set in motion to start revealing more. Although a specific time frame hasn't been stated, sources have suggested that the next game is going well and is much further along in development than people might have believed.

Sources have said that the game is well into its QA phase, which is news that can now be revealed via Origin's API. Under the name "Project Dingo" the title has now started active internal playtesting via Origin, as can be seen below.

exputer.com

Skate 4 Enters Playtesting and Could be Revealed Soon

Under the name "Project Dingo" Skate 4 active internal playtesting via Origin has begun.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they'll playtest it hard so it can behave the way gamers want it to

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Finally, some good news from the EA side of things.

All I need is a fresh city, and for the game to look better than Skate 3. I am so down for a good sequel to the previous Skate games. It would also be nice if they can reduce the jank, improve the smoothness of animation, offer Ray Traced global illumination (and reflections if possible), allow for some co-op skating, improve the off-board experience, and continue to offer and expand on the create a park type stuff.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Skate 4 along with a new SSX and NBA Street, and I will be happy with EA for the first time since their double whammy of Dead Space and Mirror's Edge releasing a couple of weeks apart from one another back in 2008.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
You should mention in post, an important statement he added. For those, who didn't read article.

Origin's API has also revealed that the game is still being referred to as "Skate.", which could indicate that the title is a reboot of the series, rather than a sequel named Skate 4.

A lot of current details on the game are based on the "We're Working On It" Skate trailer from July 2021, which included hints of a map editor, climbing, and in-depth personalization.

Rumors of the title also being free-to-play have also circulated since the game's announcement, but sources that are familiar with the project have said that those early rumors and comments should be taken as pure speculation.

Instead, it seems that the next Skate will follow a traditional release with the likes of cross-play enabled, which is a feature EA is rolling out for its largest franchises. The next FIFA game and F1 2022 will all feature cross-play which are two titles that will release later this year will have cross-play enabled for the first time.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020

All I need is a fresh city, and for the game to look better than Skate 3. I am so down for a good sequel to the previous Skate games. It would also be nice if they can reduce the jank, improve the smoothness of animation, offer Ray Traced global illumination (and reflections if possible), allow for some co-op skating, improve the off-board experience, and continue to offer and expand on the create a park type stuff.
EA always has good and bad type of things >:S

Remark

Oct 27, 2017

So basically you want Skate 2.

That's what I want as well. Also I hope the game isn't as arcadey as 3. I know they give you the option to choose how you want to play in 3 but online the lobbies were way more full in the more forgiving settings.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
So basically you want Skate 2.

That's what I want as well. Also I hope the game isn't as arcadey as 3. I know they give you the option to choose how you want to play in 3 but online the lobbies were way more full in the more forgiving settings.

Yep,
Skate 2 in a new City, with less jank, and much more modern visuals. The visuals don't even need to be amazing, as long as the gameplay is tight, the world and skate park design is solid, and the missions are fun.

Having a good online more would go a long ways too!

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is gonna be like THPS 1+2 where everything is locked behind stupid "addictive" mobile game progress bars, and on top of that, microtransactions right?

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Skate 2 would have been a perfect game if not for having to pay your little friend to remove skatestops off rails and drain pools and crap. what a wack design decision that shit was

anyways, can't wait til Cuz and the gang get to unveil this one!

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Skate 3 is my current "chill out" game on my series X.

It's nearly flawless imo !
The controls, the feeling of skateboarding and landing tricks, the other skaters and pedestrians populating the world and commenting on your skating etc.

For Skate 4 I'd like to see one big city instead of 3 districts that are separated from each other.
Didn't Skate 2 have a single city ?

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Oh hell yes. Please aim for a real sim - no over the top bullshit.

Sorry for double post but no, please don't aim for real sim..

Skate (3) is the perfect blend between arcade skateboarding and sim imo.

It's waaaay less arcadey like THPS and at the same time not a dry skateboarding sim like "session" (seems to be, I only played the trial for several hours).

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Sorry for double post but no, please don't aim for real sim..

Skate (3) is the perfect blend between arcade skateboarding and sim imo.

It's waaaay less arcadey like THPS and at the same time not a dry skateboarding sim like "session" (seems to be, I only played the trial for several hours).
I totally agree with this, absolutely unnecessary to make it too enthusiastic.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I still think that they should have remastered Skate 2 or 3 while they are working on new version.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the EA playtesting site I have an option for one in a few weeks, maybe I should take the chance that's it's skate haha.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Leaked playtest footage, the game is clearly still VERY EARLY in development
AFAIK, play tests like this one don't always use the full assets etc, so I wouldn't take it as a definitive indicator of the state of the game. But who knows, you might be right.

Anyway, great to see them apparently still going for the goofy vibe, being able to do summersaults etc. I hope it's gonna be a lot of fun, 2 and 3 are legendary games in my book, so just more of that would be great

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK, play tests like this one don't always use the full assets etc, so I wouldn't take it as a definitive indicator of the state of the game. But who knows, you might be right.

Anyway, great to see them apparently still going for the goofy vibe, being able to do summersaults etc. I hope it's gonna be a lot of fun, 2 and 3 are legendary games in my book, so just more of that would be great
As someone who has done a lot of Playtests yeah they devs typically use an older build (sometimes incredibly old) to test out things because it's typically more stable than their current build so I wouldn't take this footage as gospel of the actual current state of the game.