• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
How could you see/play anything from an Uncharted game and think young Nathan Drake is stoic.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they are going for in the trailer...but it's worrying.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good sign of confidence in this, sounds like Tom was given the wrong kind of direction.

But what's really baffling is that surely the cast and crew can see a cutscene compliation on Youtube, even if it's just 5 minutes long it should give them a good impression of the characters. Nobody's asking for them to all get Platinum trophies or something but really when you're making what seems to be a big budget movie you occasionally look at the source material!

I know adapting something means a lot is going to be missed, but you can keep the essential stuff and make a good Uncharted movie. Heck, Uncharted was inspired by movies and novels! It's a treasure hunt adventure! Come on!

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if by stoic if means not acting afraid. Nathan seems to disguise any fear he may have by joking around.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
xzbE8N6.png
57%

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The producers must be happy to hear their lead say this publicly

Aug 10, 2019
Holland is 24
Drake was 31 in Uncharted 1

The age difference isn't that big
The difference between young men at the ages of 24 and 31 in American society can be enormous. Especially considering Tom Holland has been in the spotlight since he was 13 years old. Being a celebrity is said to halt the internal aging process, which is why so many famous child celebrities have serious problems as adults.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's what director is there for. The actor isn't watching himself play, but the director is, and it's his job to pick up these issues and guide the actor towards a better performance.

That requires, of course, a decent director as well. Remains to be seen if Holland was well directed in this movie.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It's not like he is a really good actor to begin with, an "ok" performance is what i expect lol

Lower expectations as always.

While I had some issues with the movie he was really good in The Devil all the Time on Netflix.

I think this might be some self reflection frustrations. I think we all have finished work (especially an artform) that we thought hated and was terrible to find other people really think it is great.

Regardless, I really dont have high hopes for this movie. I havent seen a movie with Mark Wahlburg in it that has been good in like forever.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yeah, something got wrong by judging his words since Nathan manage to make badass things while being goofy, so you shouldn't even think how "badass" he is since everything that happen to him is by accident and he manage to survive somehow.
Tom approach sounds like the totally opposite of this... at least he recognized it.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of feel like it's a case of misunderstanding stoic, there's absolutely no way someone saw the games and decided that's what they need for not just Nathan Drake but also Sully... not a chance.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The producers must be happy to hear their lead say this publicly
To be fair, this is Sony Pictures. They deal with these kinds of production issues all the time.

Tom Hardy said that all his favorite scenes were cut from the Venommmmmovie in pre-release interviews.
And yeah, the movie went to 30% RT, but it grossed like 800 million WW, so...

I doubt Uncharted could do that, but at least they can sell it on a decent margin to some streaming service.
Maybe Eminem could do a catchy chorus in song for Uncharted too to help :v

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LOL that doesn't sound like you are very confident on the quality of this movie, Tom.

At least he is honest I guess.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Who's directing this? Because if a performance wasn't up to snuff for any particular shot, the director will typically just make an actor do it again.

Oct 27, 2017
I know ppl don't expect the best acting from him but I wouldn't give this comment any value. In a recent WTF episode Jodie Foster told Marc Maron she thought she did a bad job after filming The Accused, but then the movie came out and she won the Oscar for Best Actress.

not saying Holland will win any awards But actors are often critical of their performances like this after filming, whether they say so or not.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch. Way to sell the film short Tom, good job, did exactly what you getting paid to do.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's nice to hear an actor speak critical about himself and not only speak PR before a movie comes out.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Stoic Drake, right...

Couldn't they just hire Amy Hennig to consult them?

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I'll give it a shot but I don't have faith. Only decent game film is Detective Pikachu. I'm warming up to Sonic but I didn't like it when it came out.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The fact that he interprets Nate as stoic means something went wrong with the writing and production of this movie.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This dude seems to be constantly bewildered and amazed he's a professional actor in Hollywood.

Like, he wakes up every morning and wonders what the hell he's supposed to be doing.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
It's never a good sign when the direction seems to completely have misunderstood the main character.

And "Be Mark Wahlberg" is one of those things that should never be spoken in a sentence lol.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
He's too honest, it will hurt his career if he's not more careful how he speaks in interviews
Eh, he's a great actor and seems super easy to work with. There's a chance he's a bit in his own head here, but even if what he's saying shows up on screen, the director is just as much at fault. Tom's a very capable, direct-able actor, so if it looks like he's not giving a natural performance, that's on the director to spot and correct

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero expectations in the film anyway, so hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat regretful describes nathan drake pretty well imo

Itd be cool if drake showed up in the movie

Drake: hello it is me, drake
Ndrake: no im drake (flexes bicep), i sort of regret doing that just now, sry it's hard to tell because my stoicism is out of control

Oct 27, 2017
Why they decided to make an Uncharted movie will always puzzle me

Should have made a God of War movie instead. Full of action, gore, big fights. It works perfectly.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We won't know until we have seen it but I can totally imagine him trying to be that way and it coming off badly because that's just not him which isn't a bad thing, just not for him.