• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
Tom King should have talk to Jae first. I respect the passion though towards fighting hate.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

YsFaEJz.png

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So did he make the covers or not? You can't just say someone's part of a hategroup and then "my bad" it later.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, I can buy it. Like if you're never on the internet and are mostly just keeping your head down, I think you could totally miss something like Comicsgate.

So did he make the covers or not? You can't just say someone's part of a hategroup and then "my bad" it later.

He made the covers but had no idea about Comicsgate in general. Honestly, if you weren't online and you were approached by the former artist of DC's Green Lantern, I could see how you could be suckered into it.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I can think of is that Comicsgate used his art without him knowing what it was being used for. Hopefully we get more clarification here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
He shouldn't have publicly stated it on Twitter in such a fashion without more information. Comicsgate is pretty much a Twitter thing, so if a person isn't on Twitter they probably haven't heard of it

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

He did make a cover for a comic by a guy who was hash tagging it as #comicsgate but it seems the artist Lee was not familiar with any of that aspect of the project

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
How about an apology? How about checking to see if a claim is true before using your platform to publicly out a professional as a hate supporter.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
I've been buying Batman comics my whole life and I don't know what comicgate even means. I'll give Jae the benefit of the doubt.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP should probably delete thread or at least edit the correction into the first post

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The very obvious implication of the tweet was that Jae Lee was an active participant of Comicsgate as opposed drawing a cover for one member without double checking.

King needed to have thought this through and he didn't.

To be fair, when Ethan Van Nazi is yelling on Twitter "JAE LEE IS COMICSGATE! LOOK AT THIS COVER HE DREW FOR US, COMICSGATE!" it's understandable how a mistake could be made.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Wow. I read and collect comics but I don't follow the industry and I only read stories when they're collected in trades. I had no idea about Comicsgate and I feel ashamed for it. What a fucking ridiculous thing.

Reading that thread what I got is that Ethan Van Sciver is a piece of shit. I'm glad I don't own anything from him.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It would be disappointed if Jae Lee was involved in comicsgate. Seems like an oversight on behalf of Tom King, but honestly on the side of Jae Lee as well. If comicsgate people can commission popular comics artists (or writers for that matter) to do work for them and lend credibility to their movement with no awareness of the movement in the industry, that is a little worrisome.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to guess it was something like him just doing work he was paid for as opposed to anything ideological. Would have said that was still bad, but if he's entirely unaware that's different

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its time Tom King is not on twitter as well. At least for a little while.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
No problem Tom. Definitely no need to apologise or delete that original tweet, you just carry on buddy.