teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
This should be posted in the OP. The modern controls aren't explained anywhere. EDIT: Photo Mode is L3+R3 on Playstation btw.

Modern controls for Tomb Raider I-III Remastered are adapted from the Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld control schemes.
You can remap most of the inputs in the options menu. Once paused, press down on LS or D-pad to access Save/Load + Game + Sound options. The table below shows the default mapping for Modern Controls:
PlayStationXboxSwitchPC
MoveLeft Stick (LS)Left Stick (LS)Left Stick (LS)WASD
WalkSquare + LSX + LSY + LSLeft ALT
DashL3L3L3Left Shift
LookRight Stick (RS)Right Stick (RS)Right Stick (RS)Mouse
ZoomR3R3R3Middle Mouse
JumpXABSpace
ActionTriangleYXE
Equip WeaponL2 (hold)LT (hold)ZL (hold)Right-Click (hold)
ShootR2RTZRLeft-Click
RollCircleBALeft Ctrl
DuckL1LBLC
Photo ModeR1+L1RB+LBR+LP

Additional Controls:
  • To drop and hang off a ledge, approach a ledge holding Shoot. Press Roll to drop
  • Side + Back Flips can only be performed when equipping a weapon by holding Equip Weapon + Jump + Directional input on LS or WASD
  • Frontflip/Backflip + 180: Equip Weapon + Jump + LS (Up/Down) + quickly followed by Roll
  • Ledge Grab is tied to pressing the Shoot button when jumping toward a ledge
  • Side and Back Step is not available in Modern Controls
  • Pressing Equip Weapon underwater automatically equips the Harpoon
  • Swan Dive: Jump + Move + Roll

thanks for this. We need this in the OP.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Game is running absolutely flawless on the Deck. I could even set the game to use max 3W and clock down the GPU to 200MHz and it was still a locked 60fps hitting around 1-1,2W in total between CPU and GPU.

Have only played the first 3 levels so far, think I'm gonna leave it at that for the moment and play it on my flight to Japan in a month instead so I have something nice to do on the plane.

Tried the new controls for a bit, didn't really enjoy them to my surprise. Tank controls feels better than I remembered from when I was a kid.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've emailed the customer service but they're in Australia and probably will just dismiss it and say if it's not there they can't help me. That's what happened with Darksiders Warmastered (which is still missing).
Might be more prudent to contact Aspyr since they'll probably care more that people who want to buy their game aren't able to.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
What are the Quick Save and Load commands on PC so I can map them to Steam Deck buttons?

Defaulting to Load and not Save in the menu hurts btw.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
There's me manually saving every new room/area only at risk of losing ten minutes of progress. 😅

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
yeah growing up, i replayed the old TRs and Uncharted 1/2 over and over again and while i love Uncharted climbing sections, the platforming and puzzles in modern adventure games just doesn't hit the spot like Core's Tomb Raiders did

i hope one day we get an indie Tomb Raider-like but for now, there is the Tomb Raider Level Editor where people have made some insane stuff. Here's a video of Tomb Raider: Legend Demake, which seems to mix classic and LAU stuff, it's fucking crazy. i never got into TRLE but might have to check it out after i'm done with the series replay.

View: https://youtu.be/fv629wAPxcM?si=bEHdvCM3Gw0Erevl

There's also Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine on PC and N64, it's a Tomb Raider knockoff that's apparently good. Never got around to that one either tho :P
Oh, that's neat, don't think I've seen that before. Also, maybe if this remastered collection is a success then we'll see some devs have a crack at making something more in the old style.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I've noticed in TR3 the smoke effect after firing your guns seems to be missing when using the original graphics.

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck… I forgot HOW MUCH Anniversary cut off contents from some levels :/

Tomb of Tihocan basically all of it was cut… and The Cistern was shrinks MASSIVELY :/

Dear heavens I totally forgot because last time I replayed TRI was before the release of Anniversary and then always replayed Anniversary instead……. Well, NOT ANY MORE.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
These modern controls are not good. No side or back step? Come on.

Thank goodness the old faithful controls are here to save the day, and I can still move the camera with the right stick. That was the main thing I wanted anyway.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
The Digital Foundry review has a fix for this and he said the game ran flawlessly afterward.
Oh yeah for sure, but it's still something that needs to be patched like the other issues.

Tomb of Tihocan basically all of it was cut… and The Cistern was shrinks MASSIVELY :/

Dear heavens I totally forgot because last time I replayed TRI was before the release of Anniversary and then always replayed Anniversary instead……. Well, NOT ANY MORE.
Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but Cistern was one of my favourite levels in TR1 lol. Was super sad they cut it down in Anniversary.

Oct 28, 2017

Anniversary is a good game on its own merits, but it was always never in the same league as the original and missed the mark in a lot of ways. It was the best game of the Legend trilogy though.

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, they need to patch how unnoticeably the key items are in the new graphics, it sent me to unnecessarily goose chase MANY times.

Look at this picture, I came to this room and left without noticing it… I scanned the level and went crazy and when I switched the graphics I immediately noticed it.
424982967_10168370430385632_7284961659051124835_n.jpg

424933034_10168370430390632_6219416294205657578_n.jpg

Just WTF :/

It goes for all the items !!!!!
Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but Cistern was one of my favourite levels in TR1 lol. Was super sad they cut it down in Anniversary.
Why that would make you weirdo? It is a fan favourite level and one of mine personable especially in the Remaster it really shined.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Ok, they need to patch how unnoticeably the key items are in the new graphics, it sent me to unnecessarily goose chase MANY times.

Look at this picture, I came to this room and left without noticing it… I scanned the level and went crazy and when I switched the graphics I immediately noticed it.

Lol, I experienced the exact same thing yesterday, the visibility of important items is just bad sometimes in remastered.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing cheat codes disable achievements, right? Level skip would make some of the level-specific achievements much easier to get.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
I probably won't get to this until after FFVII Rebirth, but I bought Day 1 anyway to support classic Tomb Raider.

Happy to see positive impressions tho.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I remember now why I used the get all weapons cheat in TR2 so much back then lol. The enemies with guns destroy you rather quick, need my uzis.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Why that would make you weirdo? It is a fan favourite level and one of mine personable especially in the Remaster it really shined.

Switching to the old graphics is the "Detective Mode". Haha.

Oct 30, 2017
Anniversary is a good game on its own merits, but it was always never in the same league as the original and missed the mark in a lot of ways. It was the best game of the Legend trilogy though.
Anniversary is BY FAR the best TR games of Crystal Dynamics… the music is fucking epic and the boss fights are the best:

View: https://youtu.be/2stm1DLYb5g?si=-GlmKMjkXt-hza-p

This is God of War \ Epic JRPG final boss shit of level.

Last time I heard it was not regarded very highly tbh. I recall it having a rep of being another bad 'water level', though I've personally always really liked it.
It is one of the best designed levels in the game, so brilliant and gosh it looks so beautiful and atmospheric in the Remaster.
Lol, I experienced the exact same thing yesterday, the visibility of important items is just bad sometimes in remastered.
I'm sure I missed so many items because of how stupid invisible they are.. they seriously needs to work on this problem ASAP.
Switching to the old graphics is the "Detective Mode". Haha.
You made me laugh out loud XD

AIan

Oct 20, 2019

Oh damn, serious lack of testing there.

Ran into the opposite issue with the gold dragon from Venice, it was completely lit up in the remastered version but is supposed to be dark as it was in the classic

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any strategy to combat besides rolling around like an idiot while trying to shoot?

I'm trying to wrap my head around it in the second stage/level where right at the beginning you get swarmed by like 5 wolves.

There doesn't seem like there's any way to avoid them and at best they get me down to half health before I kill the last one.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020

Okay I feel like I'm losing it because even in these pictures I just don't see it in the Remastered one. Where... where is it?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by how well this still plays and also how many of the secrets I appear to have total recall of. They need to add a confirmation to the load menu though, lost progress twice from buttoning through too fast :/
This happened to me just now. Crazy that it defaults to load instead of save lol.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
I've noticed in TR3 the smoke effect after firing your guns seems to be missing when using the original graphics.

there's some funky stuff going on in the classic graphics that i hope gets ironed out

besides the smoke effect, there's missing water lighting effects in TR2 that's hard for me to look past lmfao

TR3's first level seems much brighter and saturated than i remember butttt that's more an aesthetic choice, i assume they want to lean more into the PSX look which was brighter than the PC version that i'm familar with.

TR2Main

4c06ZMQ.gif

Remastered (couldn't capture a video)

HjUn6xC.jpg

tomb3

IIiwsBU.png

Remastered

XDBDgqQ.jpeg

Is there any strategy to combat besides rolling around like an idiot while trying to shoot?

I'm trying to wrap my head around it in the second stage/level where right at the beginning you get swarmed by like 5 wolves.

There doesn't seem like there's any way to avoid them and at best they get me down to half health before I kill the last one.

backflips, jumping away when they get closer and rolling (or airflipping since TR1 has that now), and more backflips after that will help but yea the combat was never great for actually avoiding damage, you're gonna end up getting hit

probably why they toss you like 7 medipacks in the very first level lmfao

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Oh damn, serious lack of testing there.

Ran into the opposite issue with the gold dragon from Venice, it was completely lit up in the remastered version but is supposed to be dark as it was in the classic
Yeah, I've been switching to the new graphics to find some items/treasures since some parts in TRII are dark as hell in the original graphics.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I only played for a little bit tonight, tried out Lara's House and the first few minutes of the first level. Even after watching a few gameplay vids and the Digital Foundry analysis I'm shocked by how good the game looks in motion on my PS5. Good work, Aspyr, I'm finally close to forgiving you for the awful save data situation with the PS4 port of Jedi Knight 2. Almost.

I've mostly adapted to the tank classic controls again but haven't managed to get used to jumping yet, particularly doing the side jumps and backflips.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017

I was missing 2 items in one level but when i swapped to OG they were on the ground somewhere, they were barely visible in modern visual. This is definitely a big issue.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
there's some funky stuff going on in the classic graphics that i hope gets ironed out

besides the smoke effect, there's missing water lighting effects in TR2 that's hard for me to look past lmfao

TR3's first level seems much brighter and saturated than i remember butttt that's more an aesthetic choice, i assume they want to lean more into the PSX look which was brighter than the PC version that i'm familar with.

TR2Main

4c06ZMQ.gif

Remastered (couldn't capture a video)

HjUn6xC.jpg

tomb3

IIiwsBU.png

Remastered

XDBDgqQ.jpeg
Oh yeah, I need that cool water effect in TRII back.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I'll try to start this collection tonight. I hope after all the talk I've heard over the years about how much better these games are compared to the new ones that they don't turn out to be dogshit.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I like what they've done with The Opera House level, looks nice with all the new lighting and starry night sky.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

I saw this be brought up in some comparison videos. Apparently only certain keys that are like that. Other keys are both extremely large (like, comically so) and also contrast with the backgrounds better.

It seems like an oversight. Hopefully a patch can help with that.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I had a PS1 back in the day and could not get into the tank controls so I never really played these games. I figured I'd try this with modern controls.

How do I grab the ledge in the very first room of TR1 with modern controls? The one with the health pickup? I slide down the ramp and jump and she just kind of bounces off the wall, even if I'm holding triangle. In classic controls I can easily make the jump by holding X. Is this game unplayable in modern mode or am I missing something here?

Edit - wait I saw the excel spreadsheet earlier in the thread. Press shoot to hang on a ledge? wtf? Why isn't there a menu explaining these hidden commands in game? Why do classic and modern need to change the face button layout? Strange choices

If you select Lara's Mansion instead of new game, you'll enter a tutorial level where she guides you through all the controls.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
gotta be real here. as someone who only enjoyed tank controls in RE games, tank controls feel much better here than the modern implementation. it's very jank feeling.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the items visibility (or lack thereof) has been an issue for me.

Also, already saw a couple weird glitches in the new graphics where the water texture (usually a small "square" opening) is replaced by... a painting. On one of those occasions I thought the exit was blocked but it was just a texture of the girl with the pearl earring painting. In OG graphics it's fine.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They did a good job. This is pretty great.

gotta be real here. as someone who only enjoyed tank controls in RE games, tank controls feel much better here than the modern implementation. it's very jank feeling.

The crazy thing is that there is a learning curve to modern, I wasn't expecting it to be like that and it made it kinda fun to experiment and try to improve / figure it out. Kinda feels like exactly how the OG felt in a sense, despite that mode existing to be easier lol.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Played most of Peru in TR1 and the first level of TR2 with modern controls just to test them out anddddd I don't think I like them much. They're nice for running around the levels but they're far too imprecise for platforming and incredibly unwieldy in combat. I think I'll be sticking with old faithful here tbh