Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
So many remakes, remasters, reboots, old fads coming back, do people think we'll look back on it like we do the 80s and 90s, what's gonna make this decade stand out?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they start remaking this decade which just remade the 80s and 90s we will be trapped in a time loop where everything is Miami Vice and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air for all eternity.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
Don't worry. Xbox One unveiling had enough material for a long-lasting comedy show.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
It's just the 30 year cylce, we'll soon be having 90s nostalgia shoved down our throats.

How this period in particular will be looked back on? The introduction of social media will be a big theme I imagine.

Last edited:

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot making this decade stand out, the rise of social media (facebook, snapchat, instagram), Youtube,
tv-shows with Hollywood budgets, gaming (esports etc.). I don't see that much nostalgia pandering outside blockbuster movies.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Is Trump nostalgia going to be a thing for todays kids 20 years from now?

Perhaps in the Southern Wasteland, there grandparents will conduct shadow plays of their MAGA Emperor who will eventually save them from the burning wind. But, they must be ever vigilant against the libtards. Their Emperor purged the skies and waters to rid the world of the Devil Hillary and the rest of the leftist filth. Now, only prayer to their God King and his Pure Angel Ivanka will cleanse the land again.

As these shadow plays are conducted, their priests don their ceremonial garb topped by their Crimson Hats inscribed with the Anicient Holy text, "Make America Great Again." The children then take communion through the steaks provided by their Grace and suckle upon Diet Coke which represent their Great Covenant.

The ceremony ends as the priests chant, "but her emails, but her emails, but her emails." A ward should the Crooked Devil ever return.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that surprising really. Aging population and all that. As populations age more I imagine revanchism and rose tinted nostalgia fueled campaigns and overly toxic, hatred based social warfare to increase dramatically rather than subside. It's made worse in my country (US) by young people not voting, something I imagine is going to be magnified as populations age even more and the youth vote no longer holds the potential power it once did.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think they'll wonder why we didn't do anything about the nazis and global warming.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with having my nostalgia stroked. All the things I grew up loving has remained relevant through remakes and sequels.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Personally, I don't get the appeal of nostalgia pandering and "fan service" in movies and such. It just makes me feel insulted, like, "Really? You think I'm that easy?"

Oct 31, 2017
Nostalgia has always been a big part of media. What we're seeing now is nothing new. People noticed it before, too; some are just too young to remember that.
Hell, Back to the Future part 2 even predicted it with Cafe 80's. That wasn't just because the producers thought it'd be funny, it's because people of every generation tend to look fondly back on the time when they were kids and young adults.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The world is more fractured nowadays so I don't think there are quite as many large scale phenomena that can be so easily identified and tied to the ongoing decade in a way that whole generations would be attracted to from a nostalgia POV in 20-30+ years. The western societies especially are just a hodgepodge of a billion different subcultures nowadays.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be a whole lot of "whew glad we got that out of our system".

I mean, nostalgia and nostalgia pandering are always gonna be there but I'm pretty confident we won't be seeing it at this level. No more RPOs.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
When was this and what was it like?

Well, you understand I was mostly joking by pretending to be nostalgic for the nostalgia boom of a bygone decade.

But the seventies saw, in film, a wave of big budget films with pre-war settings. The Sting, The Great Gatsby, and The Great Waldo Pepper, for instance. The Godfather series also played a part. Costume drama really took off in Hollywood.

These in turn inspired advertising, fashion and television. The theme from The Sting alone led to a revival of interest in Scott Joplin rags. It was, to the best of my knowledge, the first time the advertising industry harnessed nostalgia on a large scale.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Nostalgia has always been a big part of media. What we're seeing now is nothing new. People noticed it before, too; some are just too young to remember that.
Hell, Back to the Future part 2 even predicted it with Cafe 80's. That wasn't just because the producers thought it'd be funny, it's because people of every generation tend to look fondly back on the time when they were kids and young adults.

Yeah Back To The Future was part of the 50s nostalgia wave so it makes sense that they'd reference future nostalgia. They weren't far out with the timing too which is impressive.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The internet has made it so no decade will ever be remembered specifically for a general theme or style compared to previous decades.

Image The Beatles started now instead of when they did and they blew up like they did back then. The amount of exposure they would have now in comparison to back then would be insanely bigger and in turn would probably reduce the amount of time they were popular, especially with the amount of competition they would have for peoples time.

Back in previous decades all you had to follow celebs was a handful of TV channels and print so you would have to wait for updates and news. Now we have 24/7 entertainment news channels and social media that allows people to promote themselves constantly in a million different ways.

Because of this things go in and out of popularity much quicker and it doesn't give enough time for society to follow trends or for general themes to stick.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They'll probably look back at it unironically with a meme that references something else they're familiar with.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We will look back with nostalgia.

In 30 years, expect nostalgia driven movies referencing/rebooting the nostalgia driven movies of today.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Perhaps in the Southern Wasteland, there grandparents will conduct shadow plays of their MAGA Emperor who will eventually save them from the burning wind. But, they must be ever vigilant against the libtards. Their Emperor purged the skies and waters to rid the world of the Devil Hillary and the rest of the leftist filth. Now, only prayer to their God King and his Pure Angel Ivanka will cleanse the land again.

As these shadow plays are conducted, their priests don their ceremonial garb topped by their Crimson Hats inscribed with the Anicient Holy text, "Make America Great Again." The children then take communion through the steaks provided by their Grace and suckle upon Diet Coke which represent their Great Covenant.

The ceremony ends as the priests chant, "but her emails, but her emails, but her emails." A ward should the Crooked Devil ever return.

I like this. I appreciate the effort.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The 90s, you don't remember Tge Wonder Years and That 70s Show? There were actually more but those are the top 2 which survived in public memory the same way Stranger Things will.

Good point. I'm interested in knowing what stuff I experienced in the 90s may have been nostalgic for 70s or earlier that wasn't a clear tie to that time.

A kid today might not know synthwave or vapor wave call back to earlier times. Ready Player One is likely to have enough current times call outs to rely on references that aren't just nostalgic.

Well, you understand I was mostly joking by pretending to be nostalgic for the nostalgia boom of a bygone decade.

But the seventies saw, in film, a wave of big budget films with pre-war settings. The Sting, The Great Gatsby, and The Great Waldo Pepper, for instance. The Godfather series also played a part. Costume drama really took off in Hollywood.

These in turn inspired advertising, fashion and television. The theme from The Sting alone led to a revival of interest in Scott Joplin rags. It was, to the best of my knowledge, the first time the advertising industry harnessed nostalgia on a large scale.

That's interesting stuff too. I wish someone could lay all this out on a website.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's precisely because of that blind pursue of [mainly] 90s nostalgia that we get these sort of things all the time. The internet and social media is swarmed with posts and memes and everything about it so it gives the impression that there's a huge demand for it even when there isn't.
Combine that with general lack of creativity we see in the last decade compared to previous ones, and boom.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
doesn't seem that remarkable to me. i don't see a real notable influx of these things. people who are fans of the 80s have always gotten in a twist about it.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think nostalgia pandering is new, we just have more avenues and access to it.

I'm pretty sure the 80s had some 50s nostalgia for sale, for example.

It's just the 30 year cylce, we'll soon be having 90s nostalgia shoved down our throats.

90s nostalgia wave has begun. See Nicktoons t-shirts and toys everywhere, and Reptar Bars are at FYE.

Edit: my autocorrect hates this site

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a long time before there's another 80's or 90's type nostalgic feel. Things have peaked and stabilized at this point, with nothing groundbreaking coming. Unless several things today become obsolete it's not gonna happen.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How this period in particular will be looked back on? The introduction of social media will be a big theme I imagine.
90s Nostalgia push started in 2011 when The 90s Are All That program block launched on TeenNick.

We've got maybe 2 more years before a big '00 nostalgia push happens (which I'm fine with as I love the hidden decade of '95-'05).

retronick_smallbanner_2.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Other than Marvel can't really think of anything that would be invoke that much nostlogia, I think that is because everything is so homogenized nowadays.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
90s Nostalgia push started in 2011 when The 90s Are All That program block launched on TeenNick.

We've got maybe 2 more years before a big '00 nostalgia push happens (which I'm fine with as I love the hidden decade of '95-'05).

retronick_smallbanner_2.jpg

It's certainly started, but it still feels like the 80s are dominating when it comes to mainstream TV/Cinema. You just have to look at the success of things like IT and Stranger Things last year, along with big superhero movies like Tor Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy leaning heavily into that 80s aesthetic.

I think we still have a few years to go before the kids who grew up in the 90/00s are the one's directing our favourite movies and TV shows.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People will definitely be nostalgic about 2010 to 2020. It's when MCU was big and social media took over everything.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Cold War didn't stop anyone from feeling nostalgic about the 70s or 80s, so we're definitely gonna see nostalgia for the 2010s as well at some point down the line. And honestly, in terms of media a lot of good things are created these days and well worth being nostalgic about in 2040.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always been this way except now it's "our" turn. People who were kids in the mid to late 90s and early 2000s have grown up and have basically taken over in many different entertainment roles.
And now they're catering to their own because they know what exactly what we're nostalgic about. Our demographic has the most money(20-30 year olds). Supppsedly.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think there is more unique to this decade than people can appreciate while we're still in it. People in the 80s didn't look around and say "Wow, this is so 80s!"

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think nostalgia pandering is any more bigger than it was back in the day. It's just with the Internet, you are bombarded MORE with people that are nostalgic and sites dedicated to nostalgia. You see it MORE only because it is easier for people to express this nostalgia publicly.

I do believe there are more reboots now than ever, even though people make the point that reboots/remakes were always a thing. Thought I think that has more to do with studios opting for a sure thing and rarely having the balls to go with MORE experimental productions. Like people say, that's more align with where indie movies are. And of course, I've ALWAYS been under the belief that, sure, you can bring in an audience with a "name" and nostalgia, but if you don't have the movie to back it up, relying just on that (as some reboots do), that isn't a sure thing. Studios think it is a sure thing, money in the pocket, but how many reboots not only failed hard, but ruined the name of particular franchises?

I don't think nostalgia pandering is new, we just have more avenues and access to it.

I'm pretty sure the 80s had some 50s nostalgia for sale, for example.
Oh, let me tell ya, 80s had more than 50s nostalgia going for it. It not only had the dying breath of the 70s (disco and prog rock inching along), it had that 50s nostalgia (some Rockabilly inspired music, 50s style diners), but also took nostalgia from the 60s. Hell, lot of 60s tv shows were rerunned during the 80s, so a bunch of 80s kids got familiar with the likes of The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, the Adam West Batman, The Addam's Family, The Monkees and such. That, and the slight resurgence of psychedelic music (Prince dabbled, as well as The Bangles and others) and hippie culture (more towards mid-late 80s). Yet, the 80s, itself, had it's own identity. It is fair to say that nostalgia is PART of the identity, but don't make up the majority of that identity.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia existed before the internet.

Culture is very different after the internet. I expect what people get nostalgic for post 2000 will be different as well.