• Decently hyped

Votes: 106 23.2%
  • Apprehensive

Votes: 105 23.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 204 44.6%

• Total voters
Mar 17, 2024
I'm decently hyped. Liking the roster and expecting the gameplay to be on-par with the prior entries. Been ages since I've played a tennis game.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Apprehensive. I love tennis games but it's 2K... going to be a giant mess of currencies and MTX.

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda hyped. Used to love Top Spin back in the day but can't see myself picking this up at full price.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I loved Top Spin on the X360, not sure I care enough about this though, especially with the state of sport games these days.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Poll is appreciated but I wonder how many of the voters have actually played a TopSpin game?

I've answered 'decently hyped' an 8 in the reviews would bring it across the line into 'buy' territory for me, maybe a '7' depending on whether the gripes are with things I care about. Overall it's looking likely I'll pick it up, I hope it gets enough traction to have a strong online ranked population.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Apprehensive.

I've seen what 2k has done to PGA 2k23. It's basically the same as the previous release in 2k21.

It's basically filled with micro transactions and very limited single player content.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
The Gameplay Showcase video in the OP looks fun.

I just want a fun, super simple tennis game to play with friends (with and against). And a very straight-forward single player tournament (where I can pick a player from a pre-existing list, not really interested in starting a career from scratch).

Do we know if a deep dive about MTXs will be held back until after the release (aka after the reviews), to prevent bad press? It is a 2K sports game after all.

A bit disappointing when they mentioned that doubles with a friend will be limited to local-only mode.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping wom is good about the feel...because most everything else is a disappointment visually. We'll see.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
stoked for it, but probably going to wait on impressions. it's been so long since a decent tennis game...

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
I was disappointed with every new Tennis game that was released lately.

My last hope is a new Virtua Tennis.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a fairly common sentiment, but I just need there to be a Virtua Tennis-like "arcade mode" where there's one or two buttons for hitting and the rest is all in the aiming and timing. Ideally you'd have an arcade ladder of like 6~8 matches.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll do it day one. It's been so long since Top Spin/Virtua Tennis. I've played the many indie titles that have come out over the years but nothing matches up.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
the Tennis genre peaked at Mario Tennis.....that said, I'll give this a whirl when it makes it to Gamepass eventually

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Want a good tennis game, but their trust needs to be earned

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I can like me some tennis. But I don't trust 2K. They're ones to put out dubious stuff like WWE and NBA.
And as with golf, they're the kind of games I might casually pick up below full price whenever I happen to feel in the mood for smacking some balls.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't even know this existed. It being part of the 2k shithole microtransactions exploitive bullshit system doesn't bode well tho.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Cautiously optimistic. The problem is it looks too much like Top Spin 4 and I need some evolution after 13 (!) years. I'll wait the first impressions and mods on PC.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I'm just not happy that Nadal isn't in it.

He's out injured, just like in real life!

I have very fond memories of the original Top Spin on the OG Xbox, and I am willing to give this a try if:

1. 2K doesn't shit the bed with micro transaction stuff that plagued the LEGO driving game last year.
  2. The gameplay is as good as the original Top Spin games ('if it ain't broke…' and all that).
  3. A career mode that feels like you are going through highs and lows of breaking through the ranks.

Quite happy to wait until impressions on here, as well as reviews.

I still can't believe Sega announced they were bringing all their games back without mentioning Virtua Tennis. I was playing it recently on an emulator and it's still perfect.

Got my PSP out the other day just to play Virtua Tennis: World Tour … 🎾

It is still a brilliant game, and holds up remarkably well for a (nearly) twenty year old game.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
He's out injured, just like in real life!

I have very fond memories of the original Top Spin on the OG Xbox, and I am willing to give this a try if:

1. 2K doesn't shit the bed with micro transaction stuff that plagued the LEGO driving game last year.
  2. The gameplay is as good as the original Top Spin games ('if it ain't broke…' and all that).
  3. A career mode that feels like you are going through highs and lows of breaking through the ranks.

Quite happy to wait until impressions on here, as well as reviews.

Got my PSP out the other day just to play Virtua Tennis: World Tour … 🎾

It is still a brilliant game, and holds up remarkably well for a (nearly) twenty year old game.
I can believe it, gameplay that perfect doesn't age. Id be happy with just a quick and dirty Virtua Tennis remastered Collection with 4K and 60/120FPS.

Oct 30, 2017
This is what i want most as well, where I can just play as one of the stars. Unfortunately I don't think it's in.

surely there'll be a basic arcade mode at least, like virtua tennis?

for all the complaints 2K gets about its microtransaction crap, i never see any of it in NBA2K because i just play out regular seasons with real teams in myNBA mode, which is the same way i've always played sports games.