• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped?

• Super hyped

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • Decently hyped

Votes: 106 23.2%
  • Apprehensive

Votes: 105 23.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 204 44.6%

• Total voters

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Have to admit…watching one of the streams made me kinda wanna maybe play sooner than later goddamnit.

OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I never thought about this before pre-ordering on the PC, but this game is on Xbox One and PS4 too. Apparently it's been confirmed the PC version is the "next gen" version though.

Phew.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
It looks good enough, but I'll wait for it to be a lot cheaper. I've seen some complaints about the player list and offline content.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Just played 4 hours online straight. Worked butter smooth.

Also loved seing different playstyles and that you really have to adapt your game depending on which player you choose.

For example I played with Serena against McEnroe. And my opponent just used McEnroe to play some old school serve and volley. Love that in Top Spin where you really have to think about tactics all the time while keeping your focus.

This game is so much better as Tennis World Tour, AO Tennis and other tennis games. It's not even in the same league and I only start realising now how average/bad those games are.

Last edited:

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
1 hour+ later, this is easily the best tennis game we've had since Top Spin 4
Yeah, I was skeptical, but even with two games with opponents that apparently had bad connection, they were still super compelling and dramatic. Could see myself playing this quite a lot this year.

Generally speaking, the length and variety of the rallies feel great. Had a good spread of quick and medium-length rallies, but each match had 4 or 5 long rallies that built the tension and felt like the payoff was earned.

Vollies are probably the thing I'm struggling with most right now, especially with how the timing meter works. Hoping I get the hang of it and it's not a big flaw in the game.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I have been watching this on Twitch in the background and genuinely surprised and pleased at how compelling this actually is to watch, even as people play with very bad/low level characters. I am a huge tennis fan/pllayer myself and haven't played a tennis game in at least a decade so this is very exciting. I think I can wait a few more days to play but I am absolutely in on this barring some awful reviews/word of mouth before then.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
YO, IT IS THE FUCKING BEST!

God, it is so chill. Like it brings back all the vibes, a single training session, a special game, and then into the tournament. Every little challenge unlocks something new, the career mode just sets you all over to so many unique courts and times of day to play though. And the gameplay - good lord this is the best tennis has ever felt since 4. The microtransactions are all there for every individual cosmetic, some even for tennis animations, but I've been just accruing it through Career play. The Center pass or whatever battle pass is - definitely a more lengthy endeavor, if we get there at all. But the nature of the gameplay is just top notch, we are back!

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I have been watching this on Twitch in the background and genuinely surprised and pleased at how compelling this actually is to watch, even as people play with very bad/low level characters. I am a huge tennis fan/pllayer myself and haven't played a tennis game in at least a decade so this is very exciting. I think I can wait a few more days to play but I am absolutely in on this barring some awful reviews/word of mouth before then.
I have played 15 to 20 hours myself and I also play tennis myself on a high level.

And I really love that the game is not only about hitting balls with a button press, but that knowledge of the tennis game really helps with building points and knowing how to defend.

As of right now this is a game that feels like 'real' tennis and that is very exciting

Ether

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone looking at picking this up for Steam Deck, it runs like ass and has a bunch of graphical glitches on my Steam Deck OLED. In the opening Federer immersion match, my opponent had no legs or torso during gameplay. 🤨

On my PC, it ran like a dream on my ultrawide, but I'm going to wait to catch this with a Steam code when it's sub $40. Gameplay is legit, but the feature-set and rosters are light right now for the $99 Deluxe Edition I'm refunding.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Yo, can't wait to play either! It's been way too long for a proper tennis game. It looks a lot more realistic and strategic than anything on the market (the best one has maybe been Tennis Elbow and that was mostly due to mods). Big tennis fan and player!

Can somebody explain to me what the All Access Pass and "Premium Centre Court Pass for Season 1-6" exactly contain? Not sure I'm that much into the alternate outfits but I don't usually play 2k sports games. The "under the lights" pack interests me the most and that one should come even with the standard edition? If additional players are locked behind season content, I might have to rethink this.

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019

• Struggles to maintain 60fps at Low settings in either 800p or 720p. Workaround is to force GPU clock to constant 1500 or 1600. This will help the game maintain 60fps (frametime still fluctuates) during rally but will drop to 30-40 during cutscenes. Another workaround is lowering render resolution scale to 80%.
  • Grpahical glitches such as transparent textures, missing assets/textures for arms and legs.
  • Black screen during cutscenes/videos.
  • Random T-posing of players

Jesus Christ!!

Wigsy

Apr 5, 2022
Had some interest in this for the Deck but I think I'll wait for a patch (or few) based on these comments.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I actually had hope for this one on deck since PGA 2k runs well enough on it

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
More impressions, please. Glad to hear the early adopters here are enjoying it. Might be a nice change of pace game for me.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Balked a bit at the price, but ended up ordering for PS5. It's been too long and I'll be damned if they don't make another one for a decade because I didn't buy it.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to the gameplay I really love this game so far and pretty much all I wished for a new top spin game.

But one thing is bothering me about the career mode so far. Pretty much every opponent I had to play against in a tournament was around lvl 14-15 so far against my low level player. It is not too much of an issue since it is not like the matches are unwinnable. But then I noticed you can pay real money to start your career at lvl 10 instead of 1.

I don't mind VC for cosmetics too much but being able to buy xp boosts for VC and a boost to lvl 10 for 12€ while the low level experience is not optimal really doesn't feel great. (it shouldn't take that long to get to lvl 10 or to lvl up to max so it is at least not as bad as nba2k but still not great)

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to get this after seeing some reactions here but so many games coming out recently, should I bite? :O

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Anyone looking at picking this up for Steam Deck, it runs like ass and has a bunch of graphical glitches on my Steam Deck OLED. In the opening Federer immersion match, my opponent had no legs or torso during gameplay. 🤨

On my PC, it ran like a dream on my ultrawide, but I'm going to wait to catch this with a Steam code when it's sub $40. Gameplay is legit, but the feature-set and rosters are light right now for the $99 Deluxe Edition I'm refunding.

Issues aside, do you know if it supports Cloud Saves and/or cross progression?

Hope it gets patched!

Oct 27, 2017
I have played 15 to 20 hours myself and I also play tennis myself on a high level.

And I really love that the game is not only about hitting balls with a button press, but that knowledge of the tennis game really helps with building points and knowing how to defend.

As of right now this is a game that feels like 'real' tennis and that is very exciting

At first, it threw me off that it wasn't simple button presses but once I got the hang of it, it was great.

Ether

Oct 28, 2017
Issues aside, do you know if it supports Cloud Saves and/or cross progression?

Hope it gets patched!

Not sure on both, I played an online game and one exhibition against the computer. When I loaded up the steam deck version the game made me play the intro all over again so it doesn't appear my PC save was ported over.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I really want to get this after seeing some reactions here but so many games coming out recently, should I bite? :O
Do you love the tennis sport? If so, you should.

This game is never going to sell millions, so who knows how many years we will have to wait again to play a good, new tennis game. Enjoy It now, because in a couple of years everybody is going to complain again about the lack of tennis games.

At first, it threw me off that it wasn't simple button presses but once I got the hang of it, it was great.
It makes getting good at the game, really a craft and playing really good and enjoying some epic matches felt really satisfying because of that.

I do think it's still very easy to just pick up and play.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Given how people have said running on the Steam Deck is pretty broken, I'm surprised how well it runs from my experience. I can get it to be pretty much 60 fps in gameplay by setting Shadows and Reflection quality to Low. It'll be 60 fps during the gameplay but will drop during cut scenes but it being 60 during the actual gameplay is the most important part.

The first time play intro seemed glitchy but once I got past that, playing an exhibition is mostly problem free. Yes, some parts of the limb can be missing visually, but at least in the case with Naomi Osaka, it only seems to impact her elbows and knees but cuz of how small your character is on the screen, it's not that big of a deal as it doesn't really impact gameplay and when you're playing it's not really noticeable unless you focus on looking at it. It might be an LOD bug cuz the close ups don't exhibit this issue.

Sure it would be nice if it ran flawless, but this is extremely playable and playable at a solid framerate from what I've tried so far. Maybe other characters might be worse, but from what I've tried so far, it's totally playable and plays well.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so far I'm really loving this. Undefeated online in pro matches and MyPlayer, including against players that were significantly overleveled compared to me.

You really can learn player tendencies throughout the match, adjust, and turn things around. I've had plenty of matches where I've dropped the first set only win the next two.

Biggest complaint is that I'm still not really great with timing volleys and you don't move quick enough at the net to anticipate where the ball is going like you can at the baseline.

Pro tip, if you hold RB when taking a shot you'll start moving toward the bet right after... for some reason they don't tell you this until the serve and volley playstyle tutorial which is buried pretty deep.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017

• Struggles to maintain 60fps at Low settings in either 800p or 720p. Workaround is to force GPU clock to constant 1500 or 1600. This will help the game maintain 60fps (frametime still fluctuates) during rally but will drop to 30-40 during cutscenes. Another workaround is lowering render resolution scale to 80%.
  • Grpahical glitches such as transparent textures, missing assets/textures for arms and legs.
  • Black screen during cutscenes/videos.
  • Random T-posing of players

Jesus Christ!!

Fuck. Guess I'll keep an eye on this and see if it gets improved on the Steam Deck.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! y'all weren't kidding. This is a really good game.
Just got through the tutorial, and started my career. So much fun!

Controls are great.
XSX