• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped?

• Super hyped

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • Decently hyped

Votes: 106 23.2%
  • Apprehensive

Votes: 105 23.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 204 44.6%

• Total voters

psvrd

Feb 17, 2023
A few questions if anybody knows please.
How long is the grind before you max out so you can play online?

Can female characters play against male and are they as strong, stat wise so it's an even match? Or are the ranked games all male or all female, with I presume most picking men? as that's all I've really seen online. (Talking my career online ranked)

I would like to use a female character but not if matchups are rare or at a disadvantage.

Is the xp different for real tennis as in 5 sets compared to say a one set career?

Also how is the xp with the different difficulties?

Can't wait to play on Friday regardless as I used to play a lot of the OG Topspin on Xbox and got quite good ranking in top 100 and top 10 for doubles. So looking forward to trying to climb the board, tho not doubles now sadly and probably not high as I'm sure my skills have diminished with age. šŸ˜

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Deck is definitely wonky - mine was crashing on different versions of Proton. I tried 8-25GE, 9, and just kind of left it on Experimental. Missing textures, transition loading screen problems, drops to 40ish but 75% res on 800p, low settings it was sailing with performance even though most of the players were missing textures. We're talking FACELESS, ghost limbs, you name it! Also if you switch Proton versions too many times, Denuvo gets upset and locks you out. Going back to PC I had to terminate a session, which took some time loading through their servers so best avoid for now.

Playing it on PC proper, no HDR huh? Added some RTX HDR just to lighten it up a bit. Online has been smooth! Some epic rallies, great duels and it's so dope to see everyone's created player personalities!

I was playing and sure enough came across the HANGAR 13 MAFIA FOX!

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
A few questions if anybody knows please.
How long is the grind before you max out so you can play online?

Can female characters play against male and are they as strong, stat wise so it's an even match? Or are the ranked games all male or all female, with I presume most picking men? as that's all I've really seen online. (Talking my career online ranked)

I would like to use a female character but not if matchups are rare or at a disadvantage.

Is the xp different for real tennis as in 5 sets compared to say a one set career?

Also how is the xp with the different difficulties?

Can't wait to play on Friday regardless as I used to play a lot of the OG Topspin on Xbox and got quite good ranking in top 100 and top 10 for doubles. So looking forward to trying to climb the board, tho not doubles now sadly and probably not high as I'm sure my skills have diminished with age. šŸ˜
It will take Some time to max out your character, but you can start playing online with your level 1 character and you can also choose to level your character by only playing online, so the carreer mode isn't obligaties.

In normal ranked with Pro Players you play male VS female all the time and female players are not at a disadvantage. I play with Serena as my main and had a lot of epic matches against players who uses Alcaraz, Federer, Agassi, ā€¦

In the matches with your own player I have played exclusively against male players. No idea if that's a coincidence. I have only played a handful matches with my own player though.

I have more fun with playing the pro players that are already maxed out. I am now number 150 in the world and having a blast. =)

psvrd

Feb 17, 2023
Thanks Kingsora.

So I take it your matched with players that have the same character strength or is it matched through your ranking? Because I don't think you'd get far with a level 3 character Vs a level 20 one for example, no matter how skilled you are. Surely you would just loose a hell of a lot of matches before your player was strong enough?

I'll probably play a lot of the career first anyway and go online after about a week, then just focus on that.

Nice to see people enjoying it, it's been far too long for a good tennis game.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Thanks Kingsora.

So I take it your matched with players that have the same character strength or is it matched through your ranking? Because I don't think you'd get far with a level 3 character Vs a level 20 one for example, no matter how skilled you are. Surely you would just loose a hell of a lot of matches before your player was strong enough?

I'll probably play a lot of the career first anyway and go online after about a week, then just focus on that.

Nice to see people enjoying it, it's been far too long for a good tennis game.
Difficult to say at this stage. I was matched for example with a level 15 player while I was level 2, so yes I got completely destroyed. It's also one of the reasons that I rather play ranked with pro players because I think playing against real humans is the most fun. And with your own player, especially at the beginning you feel really limited if you play online.

But I also assume that there aren't already tens of thousands copies sold, so the player base to be matched with is probably still quite small. Even though, finding an opponent is always fairly easy.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Does anyone else have this?

I am playing online ranked with pro's and I am close to the top 100 of the world. Had a lot of epic close matches with great rally's.

But whenever I come against a decent player with Sharapova, I can barely make a point. It's Insane, she hits crazy winners from every angle and you just can't do anything about It. I just get destroyed every time.

Sharapova feels so overpowered in the game and a lot of players seem to know It already, probably the main reason who you see so many players are using her.

Or am I missing a tactic that you can use against Sharapova?

OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
lol I get it now. The meter is the ball essentially. The closer it gets the meter moves towards green. I'm hitting nothing but perfect shots now.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Does anyone else have this?

I am playing online ranked with pro's and I am close to the top 100 of the world. Had a lot of epic close matches with great rally's.

But whenever I come against a decent player with Sharapova, I can barely make a point. It's Insane, she hits crazy winners from every angle and you just can't do anything about It. I just get destroyed every time.

Sharapova feels so overpowered in the game and a lot of players seem to know It already, probably the main reason who you see so many players are using her.

Or am I missing a tactic that you can use against Sharapova?
She does seem overpowered. There are tactics that can work if you're skilled enough. Drop shots work well. Making sure you serve well is also integral.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
She does seem overpowered. There are tactics that can work if you're skilled enough. Drop shots work well. Making sure you serve well is also integral.
Honestly, I think I am fairly ok to good at this game. But a good player playing with Sharapova just kills me everytime with 1 or 2 shots. I barely get the chance to even do anything.

And she is literally the only player where I have this problem with. Haven't come across anyone else who played so insanely powerful and wasn't using Sharapova.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
I loved the first one, maybe even the second, but than they changed gameplay by having to hold the button en release it before you hit the ball. Is this version more like the first two games or like the other ones?

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019
When the server closes, we won't be able to play anymore. Right?
I am not familiar with the series of 2k sports

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I loved the first one, maybe even the second, but than they changed gameplay by having to hold the button en release it before you hit the ball. Is this version more like the first two games or like the other ones?
Yes, you have to charge your shot dependable on how hard you want to hit or with which timing. Which is actually realistic, because in tennis in the real world you also can charge your shot.

You can do a single button press, but that's going to be very difficult to time and you're going to have a lot of bad shots.
If this is confirmed to work across PS5 and Steam, I'm double dipping.

IGN Review

View: https://youtu.be/zeQ1GXbwkII?si=v16VE9kHuPATsM1F

A 7 is actually a little bit harsh knowing that they are actually quite positive overall.

But I guess sports games are always rated different when comparing to 'real' games.

Are online matches 3 or 5 sets?
The reason I can't watch mens tennis is because 5 sets is way too long.
3 sets with games to 4. An average match will take 15 minutes. 20 minutes if it's very close.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
For anyone that played Matchpoint: Tennis Championships. How does this compares to that game?

I barely played it but from i've played i liked it.

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for asking again....but can you completely disable all HUD Elements? Also the scoreboard/points in the upper left? At least in single player?

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
For anyone that played Matchpoint: Tennis Championships. How does this compares to that game?

I barely played it but from i've played i liked it.
This game is significantly better. Lots of real licenses, much better visuals, more polish in the general gameplay and UI. TopSpin is considered a AAA sports title, whereas Matchpoint is like a small budget game by comparison.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
This game is significantly better. Lots of real licenses, much better visuals, more polish in the general gameplay and UI. TopSpin is considered a AAA sports title, whereas Matchpoint is like a small budget game by comparison.

Tnks.

Thing is i don't really support the 2k sports stuff that put in their games like virtual currency and whatnot. Is it possible to avoid that and ignore it while playing peacefully?

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Tnks.

Thing is i don't really support the 2k sports stuff that put in their games like virtual currency and whatnot. Is it possible to avoid that and ignore it while playing peacefully?
Yeah! It's not obtrusive at all in my opinion. You earn enough VC by just playing the game and it's used purely for cosmetics for your myPlayer. You unlock plenty of cosmetics without any VC too as most events in career mode unlock them as rewards for winning. In terms of playing the exhibitions with pros and online there is no reason to spend VC whatsoever.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah! It's not obtrusive at all in my opinion. You earn enough VC by just playing the game and it's used purely for cosmetics for your myPlayer. You unlock plenty of cosmetics without any VC too as most events in career mode unlock them as rewards for winning. In terms of playing the exhibitions with pros and online there is no reason to spend VC whatsoever.

Tnks

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched a higher-level match on Twitch with the 2nd best player ranked rn. That was the type of gameplay that wasn't present at all in the media for this game. Baffling.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I know I wouldn't get the limited time only pass with this game because I hate being rushed into gaming, but does it have anything nice in it or is it just basic shirts and tennis racket colors and all?

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Warning/PSA: do not play this game on Steam Deck. It wiped hours of progress from my PC save on Steam, even when returning to my regular desktop. Booting the game on Deck seemed to have wiped all court unlocks, mycareer progress, my players, rookie rise - all was wiped after trying the game on Steam Deck. Weirdly the centre court pass progress, VC currency and cosmetic unlockables didn't get wiped.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I know I wouldn't get the limited time only pass with this game because I hate being rushed into gaming, but does it have anything nice in it or is it just basic shirts and tennis racket colors and all?
The centre court passes with unlockable cosmetics/skins etc are "play at your own pace" meaning that they do not expire. You can progress through the "battle" pass at your own pace, even once the season officially finishes you'll still be able to progress.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The centre court passes with unlockable cosmetics/skins etc are "play at your own pace" meaning that they do not expire. You can progress through the "battle" pass at your own pace, even once the season officially finishes you'll still be able to progress.

Really? They are not time limited like Fortnite or other GAAS? Wow! I am highly considering picking this up now. They have the right approach IMO.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Warning/PSA: do not play this game on Steam Deck. It wiped hours of progress from my PC save on Steam, even when returning to my regular desktop. Booting the game on Deck seemed to have wiped all court unlocks, mycareer progress, my players, rookie rise - all was wiped after trying the game on Steam Deck. Weirdly the centre court pass progress, VC currency and cosmetic unlockables didn't get wiped.
Holy crap that need s patch pronto.

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone post a comparison between Sampras in Top Spin 4 vs Top Spin 2K25?

I think he looks 10000 times better in Top Spin 4 šŸ˜‚

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Control shot meter is new, yeah? That and noticing the meter tracks with the ball on top of everything else has me really enjoying this. Never was the best at serving in previous iterations and this one I find aiming serves still as difficult as ever. Haven't really dug in too deep yet outside of the Academy and MyCareer.

I hope this does well.

Oct 28, 2017
Feels great nailing a power shot + perfect timing meter!

I wanna turn off these "training wheels" but I don't think they improve your shots if they're off though.

OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Can someone post a comparison between Sampras in Top Spin 4 vs Top Spin 2K25?

I think he looks 10000 times better in Top Spin 4 šŸ˜‚

Screenshot-20240424-155444-ASUS-Launcher-1.jpg

Screenshot-20240424-155356-ASUS-Launcher-1.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes lol that's even worse

Sad but true...

A few years ago I imagined how a next gen Top Spin would look like. With the power of current gen machines... Lifelike players with great textures, tons of polygons, visible sweat and hair physics. And we got this.

Amazing.

Emulating the Xbox360 or PS3 version of Top Spin 4 in 4K is better than this.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I am truly baffled by how bad the models look overall. I feel like Serena is the only decent one.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I think so lol, but totally not sure. I have not looked at his model in game yet.
Have you actually ever seen a tennis match in the last 3 years?

That's so clearly Alcaraz =)
Sad but true...

A few years ago I imagined how a next gen Top Spin would look like. With the power of current gen machines... Lifelike players with great textures, tons of polygons, visible sweat and hair physics. And we got this.

Amazing.

Emulating the Xbox360 or PS3 version of Top Spin 4 in 4K is better than this.
Let's not exaggerate, the difference is stil very big with Top Spin 4.

Sure the player models aren't on par with FIFA, WWE, NBA, ... But what did you expect? This game probably has probably 1/5th of the budget of a NBA2K games. The presentation of the courts and the gameplay still looks very good.

Let's hope the game sells wel enough, so that we get a new entry in 2 years and that they can improve the player models. It's already a miracle that 2K even gave a budget to make a new Top Spin game.

Last edited: