• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
I really wish i could believe they would make a better game with more money and that's why they did it, but my trust in the developer is low enough i doubt that even with more money, they would be able to make something that could actually fight against Mordhau even if they sold on all stores.

I mean, they have brand recognition, but even without that, Mordhau came in and just suprised everyone by being a good fun game to play and having a developer that listens and seemingly cares about the game while Chivalry's dev's reputation hasn't always been the best, but hey, i can be wrong and maybe Chivalry 2 actually ends up being a game that can compete with Mordhau...i just don't think that will be the case even with the bigger budget.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
If the Epic store just wasn't shit, the whole exclusivity conversation would be completely different. But Epic don't want to put in the work and resources unless they have to, and at this point, I'm wondering what the incentive to really improve even would be if they're just going to buy customers anyway.

The ideal outcome is that in 2021 we're all sat here completely cool with EGS after they add all the features they need, maybe even in a place where there is healthy competition between it and steam.

Feature parity is only half the conversation though. EGS could match every single one of Steam's features and the fact would still remain that they are artificially fragmenting the market with exclusivity. I would argue that even if they had come out of the gate with a more full featured storefront and launcher they still would have drawn significant ire for their hamfistwd attempt to fragment the ecosystem.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a hilarious fact: The EGS does not have a shopping cart for some stupid reason. But the Unreal Engine asset store actually does. It's had it for a long-ass time.

For the vast majority of that time it was literally just a launcher for Unreal Engine, Unreal Tournament, Shadow Complex and then Fortnite, and thus designed only to accomodate the needs of each of those. As far as competition goes it was a non-entity until Epic recently decided out of the blue that their woefully unequipped client was worth retooling into a 'competitor' to Steam with no actual features that would even make it a worthwhile competitor to the likes of Origin or Uplay, nevermind Steam.

Last edited:

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thats fine. Ill wait a year then. Plenty of other better games to play in the meanwhile. Also, does the egs not have release dates on the store pages?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Go polish your game with Epic's microtransaction money, so the eventual Steam release sparkles.

We'll be busy with Mordhau .

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
We've set the bar so low for Epic I can already see the annoying threads that will get made praising them for hitting 1/8th of their roadmap on the most inconsequential features they should have launched with.

We're struggling parents of a problem child that usually just tries to start fires but, oh, great job Kalob, you really knocked it out of the park eating that broccoli.

OP
OP
PC-tan

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Is there a reason why no one is mentioning that they've said Epic's invested in the game itself, making the final product better ?

I was going to mention that initial since I thought they were going to self publish the game like they did with the first one. I don't know how publishing works, but when I saw that trip wire was the publisher and that it was not self published I got confused. In a way can't the investment be seen as this exclusivity deal? Depending on how you want to make a PR spin can't the act of you giving some one be seen as investing (seeing how in the end Epic will get something out of it, if not then why do video game companies have investors?)

So I was going to mention it but them having a publisher made me question things

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Dont need Chivalry 2. We have Mordhau and its on better platforms. Rip Torn Banner after this disastrous release.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
At this point i dont really care if Epic adds features, lower prices or gets "better" than any other store. Anyways, with next consoles hitting next year, heavy titles coming out on Steam (adding now Underlords) and on consoles, MS sending their flagships games to Steam and releasing a good store app /game pass and Epic only securing indies, AA games, BL 3 and Ubisoft games (that can be bought on their store anyways) EGS will have it pretty rough in the next two years.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I installed the Epic launcher a few weeks ago to redeem something in Dauntless and just based on the current state of that launcher, unless this game is releasing in 2030, I wish them the best of luck moving forward without my support.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
They might have gotten money for chivalry 2 but probably killed any chance they had at making chivalry 3.

With Mordhau on steam this game will be DOA on a already small userbase.

Deleted member 1845

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've set the bar so low for Epic I can already see the annoying threads that will get made praising them for hitting 1/8th of their roadmap on the most inconsequential features they should have launched with.

We're struggling parents of a problem child that usually just tries to start fires but, oh, great job Kalob, you really knocked it out of the park eating that broccoli.

Era doesn't deserve you.

OP
OP
PC-tan

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I hope somebody leaks how much money these Epic deals give. It must be enormous.
Some of them have gotten over $2 million USD, that's what has been said about Phoenix Point seeing how they know backers would want a refund and they would still make a profit even if everyone asked for a refund

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I guess its nice to want things.

I hope it improves as well but I'm not hopeful since they keep missing features despite what they plan on their Trello.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure it's a good idea to cite the roadmap as reason to believe the store will improve, if hardly any of the goals are being met, let alone being delayed

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, after the success of Mordhau, Chivalry 2 just doesn't really make sense.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
after reading this, I was 100% done with torn banner. I was a huge chivalry fan too. it's messed up how mismanaged some indies can be, and how much workplace abuse goes on behind the scenes

I'd be playing mordhau right now if I had an up-to-date laptop..
Jeeeesus. What a mess. That's some scummy ass low down shit.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after reading this, I was 100% done with torn banner. I was a huge chivalry fan too. it's messed up how mismanaged some indies can be, and how much workplace abuse goes on behind the scenes
Will TB even support Chiv2 after 12 months or would they have already abandoned the game at that point?
See, this is why nobody should be supporting Torn Banner. It's run by a total scumbag and the studio clearly has no interest in long-term support for their games, even their biggest success story.

Again, Mordhau already exists. If I haven't already bought that game (because it looks really fun and has bits of mechanical naunce from War of the Roses that Chivalry was missing), I'll be giving my money to the devs of that game when Chivalry II launches, out of spite.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

I'd be playing mordhau right now if I had an up-to-date laptop..
I read Steve's reply later in the thread and now it doesn't seem so clear cut. I expect the truth is somewhere in between the two accounts.

Mirage must have left the company in massive debt, which makes an offer like this hard to refuse. I don't want to hope for bad things for the franchise because I love Chivalry. What I hope is that, in the future, indie devs can find the financial stability they need without relying on these types of deals. They are now taking on the risk that the EGS won't be able to provide a good experience for people buying their game at launch.