Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
What a piece of shit, wow. Time to recast Amuro, hopefully.

Edit: Assuming this is real, of course. This is his real twitter account and that's what he's saying, right? Why did he decide to confess? It was reported in a magazine?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Also can we get a thread title update? Reporting Toru Furuya as "Amuro Ray's VA" is accurate but not going to be immediately understood by the forum. It should have the VA's actual name followed by his most famous roles in parentheses. So something like:

Toru Furuya (VA of Yamcha, Tuxedo Mask, etc) admits to affair & domestic abuse

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
That's extremely disappointing. While he had been a great voice actor over many years, including but not limited to his role within Gundam as well as Saint Seiya and other properties, such behavior is difficult to forgive and it creates a permanent stain on his record. It also makes me feel terrible for the victim because of the massive power imbalance that is evident just from that description.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Amuro Ray's VA admits to affair and abuse

https://twitter.com/torushome/status/1793117084354072797?t=cdUqcvg1qi1IS7GOQvAG3Q&s=19 https://twitter.com/ToastCrust/status/1793127756211122635?t=7NSGkov4fmPzq7UPWMs0Cw&s=19 No fucking words, man. Tohru Furuya took advantage of a fan's adoration, had an affair with her for five years, hit her...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
www.resetera.com

Amuro Ray's VA admits to affair and abuse

https://twitter.com/torushome/status/1793117084354072797?t=cdUqcvg1qi1IS7GOQvAG3Q&s=19 https://twitter.com/ToastCrust/status/1793127756211122635?t=7NSGkov4fmPzq7UPWMs0Cw&s=19 No fucking words, man. Tohru Furuya took advantage of a fan's adoration, had an affair with her for five years, hit her...
Damn, I searched "Furuya" and didn't get any hits. Mods can lock/merge if they see fit.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
As I was saying in the other topic....that's extremely disappointing. While he had been a great voice actor over many years, including but not limited to his role within Gundam as well as Saint Seiya and other properties, such behavior is difficult to forgive and it creates a permanent stain on his record. It also makes me feel terrible for the victim because of the massive power imbalance that is evident just from that description.

Hopefully we will hear from the victim, presumably without disclosing her identity, so that she is free to tell her story rather than only relying on his admissions.

OP
OP
Plutone

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Reported in a magazine yeah
Also can we get a thread title update? Reporting Toru Furuya as "Amuro Ray's VA" is accurate but not going to be immediately understood by the forum. It should have the VA's actual name followed by his most famous roles in parentheses. So something like:

Toru Furuya (VA of Yamcha, Tuxedo Mask, etc) admits to affair & domestic abuse

yeah i agree, please amend the title

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Sabo voiced by Vic too? That's an unfortunate coincidence...

Man, it isn't hard to not be a piece of shit. Extremely disappointing and hopefully the victim can find justice.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
Wtf man.

It should means the immediate end of his career but it's Japan and it's not like he was caught doing drugs so who knows.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't think this will affect his casting, does Japan care?

It's hard to say. He might be a prolific voice actor, but this old fart will live off his wealth and will slither into the cracks on the floor for the remainder of his days.

And Whenever his career is over or not doesn't matter, when he basically violated this woman and will get away consequence free.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine the abortion thing is probably pretty big.

Nah, celebrities have recovered from that before, it being an affair combined with domestic violence, combined with her being a fan, combined with his roles being hero-types is the noose around his neck.

He also hasn't broken any law unless the woman (for the domestic violence) wants to press charges, but as of now it's just an article in a newspaper that he is trying to get ahead of with the press release/tweet.

And for reference, on Yahoo News (which is one of the top-sites in Japan), this hasn't made the headlines on either the Top News section or the Entertainment-section.

Most reactions focus rather on how this scandal will impact currently running series, especially the new Dragon Ball series in Fall and Detective Conan where is character (Toru Amuro) is extremely propular. Re-casting the voice due to scandal is not that common so many are afraid that the characters themselves just won't show up anymore.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Fucking hell, one of my favorite Japanese VAs turns out to be a garbage human being. This sucks.

He claimed to have semi-retired from voicing Amuro IIRC. I hope he makes it a full retirement.

And his other roles, while at it.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, Sabo's going to have some major roles in upcoming episodes so it's going to be rough listening to that.

Swear, that character can't catch a break when it comes to VAs. First Vic and now this asshole.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Looking at the reaction on Taiwan, it was reported on Bahamut/gamer.com.tw(Taiwan's biggest ACG website)

d

Most people reaction is first shock, and wanting a change in VA, and there are also still joke reply(Less then 10, usually something like father never hit me<He should have> is a example).
And some saying that the Chinese translation made it sound not as serious(It only say he had a affair) when there was more serious allegation and wanting the website to update.

And my ACG friends in Jp through twitter and discor
Most other response is that the affair, to them isn't a "big thing" except the age difference, 70 and 35 year old.

But the violence(Some other joking about Pegasasu Ryūsei Ken) and forcing her to get a abortion is not good at all.

Only 1 response o ut of 80~100 is blaming the victem(Something she kept the story and is only reporting it for money).

But what the bigger public response will be will have to wait and see, since the industry is usually more lenient toward male star then female star.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Summary of the paywalled article from Reddit:

Ms. A was a huge Furuya Rei (Detective Conan) and Toru Furuya fan.

Ms. A's relationship with Furuya began in 2019, but she experienced many hardships during this period. The following is an overview of these events:

[Villa Incident]

• ⁠Furuya assaulted Ms. A in his villa and hit her two or three times with the palm of his hand. During the quarrel, Ms. A said she wanted to go home and Furuya lost control • ⁠Furuya also took Ms. A's mobile phone, fearing that the truth of the incident would be exposed to the police. He fell into a panic, and the police were also present, but in the end the police deemed it just a couple's quarrel.

[Pregnancy and Abortion]

• ⁠Ms. A found out that she was pregnant in March 2021. Furuya wanted her to have an abortion and questioned whether the child was his. • ⁠Furuya accompanied Ms. A to the hospital and paid the fee and some condolences. He also said, 'That can't be regarded as life' as an attempted effort to comfort her • ⁠Furuya once refused to sign the operation consent form, but later signed the non-submission memo. • ⁠Furuya said that he had never considered marrying Ms. A, because he thought he was too old to bring her happiness.

[Family Reaction]

• ⁠Furuya told his family everything before the interview. The wife condemned his stupidity and recklessness and will survive with him under social humiliation. His daughter also said that she would support him.

Edit: Assault happened in 2020 but they reconciled shortly after. Abortion happened in March 2021. They broke up for a few months but their relationship eventually continued until September 2023, when they had a huge quarrel in the public.

Ms. A was apparently a huge fan of Detetive Conan and Furuya's character that she watched one movie 48 times and sent lots of gifts to Furuya's office since 2016. One day in 2019 she received a private message from Furuya and the affair began. Ms. A said Furuya was a gentleman at first but was a different person during sex. He refused to wear a condom, claiming himself 'infertile'. There were frequent quarrels on how their relationship should progress but Furuya strongly refused divorcing his wife.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Summary of the paywalled article from Reddit:

Ms. A was a huge Furuya Rei (Detective Conan) and Toru Furuya fan.

Ms. A's relationship with Furuya began in 2019, but she experienced many hardships during this period. The following is an overview of these events:

[Villa Incident]

• ⁠Furuya assaulted Ms. A in his villa and hit her two or three times with the palm of his hand. During the quarrel, Ms. A said she wanted to go home and Furuya lost control • ⁠Furuya also took Ms. A's mobile phone, fearing that the truth of the incident would be exposed to the police. He fell into a panic, and the police were also present, but in the end the police deemed it just a couple's quarrel.

[Pregnancy and Abortion]

• ⁠Ms. A found out that she was pregnant in March 2021. Furuya wanted her to have an abortion and questioned whether the child was his. • ⁠Furuya accompanied Ms. A to the hospital and paid the fee and some condolences. He also said, 'That can't be regarded as life' as an attempted effort to comfort her • ⁠Furuya once refused to sign the operation consent form, but later signed the non-submission memo. • ⁠Furuya said that he had never considered marrying Ms. A, because he thought he was too old to bring her happiness.

[Family Reaction]

• ⁠Furuya told his family everything before the interview. The wife condemned his stupidity and recklessness and will survive with him under social humiliation. His daughter also said that she would support him.

Edit: Assault happened in 2020 but they reconciled shortly after. Abortion happened in March 2021. They broke up for a few months but their relationship eventually continued until September 2023, when they had a huge quarrel in the public.

Ms. A was apparently a huge fan of Detetive Conan and Furuya's character that she watched one movie 48 times and sent lots of gifts to Furuya's office since 2016. One day in 2019 she received a private message from Furuya and the affair began. Ms. A said Furuya was a gentleman at first but was a different person during sex. He refused to wear a condom, claiming himself 'infertile'. There were frequent quarrels on how their relationship should progress but Furuya strongly refused divorcing his wife.
Whoa, this is awful.

I didn't expect the situation to be this recent. Gundam was 45 years ago, the guy must be well over 60 now ?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Sakurai Takahiro (Cloud from FF7) is happy the VA scandal news cycle isn't focusing on him after 2+ years.

This all sucks.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
After reading the full thing I'm unfortunately sure nothing will happen.
I'd hope to be wrong but not holding my breath.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
After reading the full thing I'm unfortunately sure nothing will happen.
I'd hope to be wrong but not holding my breath.
Wouldn't be surprised either way. In a few years Gundam will celebrate it's 50th anniversary. I honestly can't imagine there won't be any new Gundam media with Amuro in it to celebrate that anniversary.

But cheating isn't something Japanese people easily forgive and this is even worse. Best case scenario is that he retires

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
He's also Yamcha and Sabo.

And he ruined it all, he's 70 and I assume he has enough money so I assume he'll just disappear at this point.

Kind of ehhh, because unfortunately the Japanese entertainment industry has a habit of being forgive and forget with this type of shit. Its more likely he takes like a small hiatus and then come back and pretend like it never happened.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of ehhh, because unfortunately the Japanese entertainment industry has a habit of being forgive and forget with this type of shit.
So does the western one, Sean Penn abused Madonna and went to prison for a month for punching a photographer. That didn't stop Hollywood from showering him with praise and Oscar nominations/wins.
Emma Roberts got arrested for abusing Evan Peters, she still gets work.
Josh Brolin, Nicolas Cage, Chris Brown, Charlie Sheen, James Caan, Terrence Howard, Billy Dee Williams, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Chyna ... the list is pretty long.
Roman Polanski raped a child and half of Hollywood is still like "What a genius!" and he has lived and worked in europe ever since.

Nov 9, 2017
He also voiced Bryce Fairchild (apparently) in Infinite Wealth and people over at /r/yakuzagames are wondering if they are gonna redo the dub like what happened with Pierre Taki in Judgment.