• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Nagoshi was a CCO (Chief Creative Officer). He was not the COO.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because he misread the market with his no Switch support policy and delaying Yakuza PS5.
I might be wrong but it feel like Yakuza Like a Dragon despite of its critical acclaim didnt show up in any western charts...i think they expected a bit more from having a next-gen version + MS marketing for its launch.

But who knows - Yakuza fans have no need to worry him being able to focus on directing the games, is probably for the best.

Oct 26, 2017
Probably because he misread the market with his no Switch support policy and delaying Yakuza PS5.
I might be wrong but it feel like Yakuza Like a Dragon despite of its critical acclaim didnt show up in any western charts...i think they expected a bit more from having a next-gen version + MS marketing for its launch.

But who knows - Yakuza fans have no need to worry him being able to focus on directing the games, is probably for the best.
Yeah I'm thinking his... wisdom regarding Switch is a factor of him stepping down. Sakura Wars missed on some BIG sales by not being on Switch, plus lord knows how well Yakuza could be doing on Switch.

Maybe now we'll find out!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I'm thinking his... wisdom regarding Switch is a factor of him stepping down. Sakura Wars missed on some BIG sales by not being on Switch, plus lord knows how well Yakuza could be doing on Switch.

Maybe now we'll find out!

I think it's more likely to be health reasons than anything like that.

He had heart surgery in 2019.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
edit: going to edit my post because I was not aware he recently had surgery.

Last edited:

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Here, the Famitsu article got it correct. He was CCO.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

but he rereleased monkey ball bananablitz on it

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's a creative to the bone. I didn't get the coo title. I get that's a thing in salaryman culture. But glad he's focusing on games.

for those saying health, did Sega report a huge loss recently?

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
He's a creative to the bone. I didn't get the coo title. I get that's a thing in salaryman culture. But glad he's focusing on games.

for those saying health, did Sega report a huge loss recently?
No expert but they were greatly hit in their Amusements sector do to Covid amongst other things.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more likely to be health reasons than anything like that.

He had heart surgery in 2019.
I think they would cite it as a reason if it was health related. Its not like he is not gonna work crazy hours as the Director of Segas key franchise.

But in the end its probably just too much for him - being a Director and having to oversee many different projects isnt draining, even for healthy individuals. After stuff like Sakura Wars i can see him just not being interested to having to sign off stuff he cant be that hands-on with compared to Yakuza.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they would cite it as a reason if it was health related. Its not like he is not gonna work crazy hours as the Director of Segas key franchise.

But in the end its probably just too much for him - being a Director and having to oversee many different projects isnt draining, even for healthy individuals. After stuff like Sakura Wars i can see him just not being interested to having to sign off stuff he cant be that hands-on with compared to Yakuza.
sakura wars was well received critically though I think?
is this a good or bad sign for yakuza on switch
i think nagoshi will rather make a new monkeyball or fzero on switch

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017

He wouldn't have to be, they have people like Yokoyama who have direct RGG titles in the past.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how well their licensing of IPs has done for them, with Streets of Rage and Shenmue III?

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear SEGA is in need of a change in direction, and Nagoshi's strength definitely lies in game development, so this is great news all around.

Oct 26, 2017
but not the right one (and I do love banana blitz)
Well yeah, that's on him or whoever made the call. :P

Even then BBHD was terribly done. They cut most of the soundtrack (the best part of the Wii original), and didn't even include optional motion controls in the Switch version. It was just clunky overall. The original was made for the tilt controls and it obviously shows, yet they didn't take full advantage of the one version that could've easily replicated it (single Joy-Con tilt like on Wii, come on now).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
makes sense. he should focus on game development, making business decisions doesn't seen like his thing.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza is in decline ? I thought it had never been more popular since 0 made the series more mainstream, and that 7 was rather well received.
7 is the worst selling game in the series in Japan, which is a trend for the series and so far we don't have any reason to believe the game did super well in the west.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I can see Sega release the same kind of games for Switch as they've done for Wii and DS when they were on top. They have hardly ignored it
well the output is lacking in comparison. we got a new monkeyball, exclusive sonic games, a new sakurawars, an exclusive house of the dead (arguably the best one)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well it's not really our business if its related to his health so they don't have to share that.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Sega have have very poor support for both the PC and the Switch.
More so the Switch. But it feels like Sega only just realised there is money to be made on PC when Persona 4 Golden sold a shit ton.
Sega are bafflingly bad at business.

Oct 26, 2017
From what I can see Sega release the same kind of games for Switch as they've done for Wii and DS when they were on top. They have hardly ignored it
They haven't even made a legit Switch-exclusive Sonic game (Olympics doesn't count). It was tradition for ages for there to be a Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game each gen, but for whatever reason they've not made one for the Switch, which if done right, could be a MASSIVE seller.

The only exclusive I think they've made was Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix and that was mostly just an adaptation of Future Tone, not a full-on custom game like the Mirai games on 3DS were (can we please get a Mirai game on Switch with the Nendoroid designs please!?).

They also really botched the Sega Ages line, acting shocked that a line mostly consisting on rehashed 8 and 16-bit games didn't light the charts on fire. It felt like Virtua Racing (shocker, an actual 3D title) was the only one to make an impression on people and was one of the highest sellers.

Folks have begged for Dreamcast games on Switch for years. Not one has shown up from Sega. They did a poll asking what games folks wanted on Switch, DC games flooded the list, nothing happened.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They haven't even made a legit Switch-exclusive Sonic game (Olympics doesn't count). It was tradition for ages for there to be a Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game each gen, but for whatever reason they've not made one for the Switch, which if done right, could be a MASSIVE seller.
What would they gain from releasing a Switch exclusive Sonic game when the brand does better on all platforms?