Oct 28, 2017
Seems to have exploded recently, like every commercial break I see has and ad for this. At first I was just seeing the doctor lady who claimed to invent it but now...evetyone seems to be getting in on the action. I don't get what the difference is with this and regular body spray.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's allergic to perfume, this sounds like a nightmare, lol.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for the longest time it was just the gynecologist for Lume and it seemingly clicked for everyone else and there are way more commercials for others now.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Can you give some examples of brands or something? Outside of the doctor commercial I have never heard of it and know of no one who has mentioned it.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Seems to have exploded recently, like every commercial break I see has and ad for this. At first I was just seeing the doctor lady who claimed to invent it but now...evetyone seems to be getting in on the action. I don't get what the difference is with this and regular body spray.

Regular body spray isn't supposed to go everywhere, aka don't spray that on your genitals. Whole Body stuff can go 'everywhere' and can go on your genitals freely, allegedly.

Don't know the science to know how legitimate it all is, but the supposed difference is pretty self-explanatory

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can you give some examples of brands or something? Outside of the doctor commercial I have never heard of it and know of no one who has mentioned it.

I couldn't tell you a brand, but I have seen the commercials non-stop for a few months now also. It's some real scare-tactics shit trying to convince everyone they smell like shit at all times unless they spread their product on every inch of their bodies.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's a bunch of shaming nonsense. It's not too dissimilar to older products created to shame women over stuff like genitalia smelling like flesh, but more universally aimed at everyone to create stress over smelling human.
Which is different than washing yourself. Because, many sensitive areas react poorly to strange substances that are left on for hours which, ironically, can cause bad smells to form.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
"It's the rage" = companies making a bunch of it and advertising the crap out of it

In terms of selling? I always see the shelves full of them at stores

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I guess it can be for folks like me. Last summer I had the unfortunate incident were I used shampoo with menthol as body wash....it didn't well.

www.resetera.com

I thought this Dove Mens + Care menthol & caffine shampoo was body wash.

Its burning my basment! Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? Sure its my fault for not reading the label but damn Dove....menthol? Why dont you just give me a pack of Ports 100s in a soft pack and force me back to smoking.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
every single ad is like "haha you can spray your penis"

and then there's whatever native is doing with the centaur

Oct 29, 2017
I guess it can be for folks like me. Last summer I had the unfortunate incident were I used shampoo with menthol as body wash....it didn't well.

www.resetera.com

I thought this Dove Mens + Care menthol & caffine shampoo was body wash.

Its burning my basment! Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? Sure its my fault for not reading the label but damn Dove....menthol? Why dont you just give me a pack of Ports 100s in a soft pack and force me back to smoking.
lol!

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I guess I didn't know you couldn't use regular deodorant in other places but I never thought about it till these ads.

I guess the marketing worked.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the only thing i know about Native is it's about $10 more expensive than the products i normally get

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Yeah formulating personal care and cosmetics is what I do for a living, and let me tell you every brand brings Lume to us and wants something to compete against it. No one in our lab uses these types of products though. Also Lume smells awful to me.

I think the Lume in a tube has an antiperspirant in it, but other than that there's literally nothing special in the formula. It's just like, lotion/body cream with a high powder load in it (so arrowroot powder, tapioca starch, rice starch, corn starch, baking soda, magnesium hydroxide, etc etc) which works to absorb sweat and odor to a degree don't get me wrong, but isn't like, groundbreaking. Also in my opinion, means you will be flaking eventually. Lots of powders and starches in these formulas, so pilling under boobs, under armpits, behind knees, between thighs, will likely occur by the end of a long day.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts68Bbjxuuk

Also I love that my Youtube Algo gives me Throttle Body cleaner and Wd-40 when I search "total body spray"

Of course Old Spice is on the wave. I do mess with some of their deodorants, never again with the Fiji though, did not match my Ph or something.

I've never even thought of dangly bit deodorant outside of when I used to splash my dad's Brut down there in high school. I wonder how effective it is.

Yeah formulating personal care and cosmetics is what I do for a living, and let me tell you every brand brings Lume to us and wants something to compete against it. No one in our lab uses these types of products though. Also Lume smells awful to me.

I think the Lume in a tube has an antiperspirant in it, but other than that there's literally nothing special in the formula. It's just like, lotion/body cream with a high powder load in it (so arrowroot powder, tapioca starch, rice starch, corn starch, baking soda, magnesium hydroxide, etc etc) which works to absorb sweat and odor to a degree don't get me wrong, but isn't like, groundbreaking. Also in my opinion, means you will be flaking eventually. Lots of powders and starches in these formulas, so pilling under boobs, under armpits, behind knees, between thighs, will likely occur by the end of a long day.
That's impressive knowledge. Thanks for sharing with us.

I was just about to ask if anyone knew anything about Lume.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017

This is fascinating. So the companies really do follow the trendy bit. You make like the store brand level stuff or all up and down the price vector?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This is just fucking Axe lol

The Old Spice Fiji deodorant is like the only one I use lol, I love it
I had bought a case of it from Amazon, gave it to my brother and he loves the stuff. On me it just turns into this weird smell after just a couple hours, even with my pits fully shaven. The Lime & Cedarwood one is my lane though.

I love the Fiji lotion though.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
The only problem this product solves is "How do we sell a greater volume of deodarant"

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
This is fascinating. So the companies really do follow the trendy bit. You make like the store brand level stuff or all up and down the price vector?

All up and down the price vector! So I work for a contract manufacturer, and we formulate at lab scale, do in-house testing, and then large scale production as well as in-house filling of components. We are more boutique, and we've had brands who wanted to go places like Target, but our company is pricey and these retailers necessitate better margins for it to even make sense to go into them. Because of this our brands tend to thrive and exist in places like Sephora, Credo, Blue Mercury, Ulta, and on their own online storefronts. We do business on the prestige side of things, and that tends to be what's trendy in the moment.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i put some deodorant on parts of my chest and waist since i tend to sweat easily and it controls it somewhat during work. i would never wear it all over my body though. can't stand when people come in smelling like cologne at work.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
"With my busy lifestyle, why shower when I can just use some dude spray and a bum towel?"

Also, I am reminded when I once accidentally used Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo on my bits & hole. It was definitely a funny eye-opening experience LOL aiiieeeeeee

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
All up and down the price vector! So I work for a contract manufacturer, and we formulate at lab scale, do in-house testing, and then large scale production as well as in-house filling of components. We are more boutique, and we've had brands who wanted to go places like Target, but our company is pricey and these retailers necessitate better margins for it to even make sense to go into them. Because of this our brands tend to thrive and exist in places like Sephora, Credo, Blue Mercury, Ulta, and on their own online storefronts. We do business on the prestige side of things, and that tends to be what's trendy in the moment.

I'm only proxy to this cause my wife's side hustle is Avon. The cosmetics business is wild to me. The amount of coin that is spent is staggering!

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this them trying to push people to use more deodorant to sell more or is this an actual thing people are doing? Either way it's excessive, just shower god damn

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
3 in the summer

1 after waking up
2 after working out in the afternoon
3 before going to bed
87vSb5z.jpeg

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how is this different than the regular axe i'v sprayed all over my body for the past 20 years?